Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I was under the impression that the adapter for the headphones was detachable, but the one for the charger was attached to the charger.

that picture is of the usb adapter, that's why it's so big. If you look at my pic posted up a few post you will see that's the same place the 3.5mm jack goes.

There may be a charger with attached adapter but there is a separate USB adapter & 3.5mm adapter. If not how will you access USB mode or sync with Itunes/WebOS QI etc?
    Last edited by bodyshop; 03/30/2011 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    that picture is of the usb adapter, that's why it's so big. If you look at my pic posted up a few post you will see that's the same place the 3.5mm jack goes.
    Right, your picture is for the headphone adapter. I was saying that I don't know if there is a similar adapter for charging, or if you need to use the specific cable that has the 'adapter' built in.
    I edited my post above. You can use the pre charger or any other charge. There is a separate USB adapter for the VEER as well as a 3.5 adapter.
    Right, your picture is for the headphone adapter. I was saying that I don't know if there is a similar adapter for charging, or if you need to use the specific cable that has the 'adapter' built in.
    I edited my post above. You can use the pre charger or any other charger that fits. There is a separate USB adapter for the VEER as well as a 3.5 adapter, in order to sync with itunes/ webOS Qi/ access the USB portion of the phone. They may make a charger with it built on, actually it would make sense in order to avoid losing the lil adapter. But initially the VEER comes with two adapters 1 for USB/charging & 1 for 3.5mm jack.
    Last edited by bodyshop; 03/30/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    I edited my post above. You can use the pre charger or any other charge. There is a separate USB adapter for the VEER as well as a 3.5 adapter.
    I hope so. On the tech specs it lists headphone as having:

Magnetic connector with 3.5mm stereo headset adapter included (emphasis mine)

For charging it has:

Charger/magnetic connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed

It doesn't mention an adapter for USB.

Frankly, I want the Veer (until the Pre 3 comes out of course!) but will be ****ed if I have to replace all of my cables. I have them all over the place such as my car, work, a few at home, travel bags etc. I use the Touchstone primarily, but it is nice to know that in case of emergency, or in case I forget, I can rely on a 'standard.'
    I hope so. On the tech specs it lists headphone as having:

Magnetic connector with 3.5mm stereo headset adapter included (emphasis mine)

For charging it has:

It doesn't mention an adapter for USB.

Frankly, I want the Veer (until the Pre 3 comes out of course!) but will be ****ed if I have to replace all of my cables. I have them all over the place such as my car, work, a few at home, travel bags etc. I use the Touchstone primarily, but it is nice to know that in case of emergency, or in case I forget, I can rely on a 'standard.'
    Right but my point is there is no magnetic adapter charger, there is a USB charger & magnetic adapter charger/usb (as in same part) only way it can be same part for usb & charging is if you can unplug the USB from the connector.

this is from the site:
    Connector

Headphone jack

Magnetic connector with 3.5mm stereo headset adapter included
    you will be able to use other usb chargers with the Veer. Just keep the Magnetic USB connector with you.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And remember to carry the connector all the time. Chances are that you are going to either loose or forget them.

Better yet, you might want three more. One for the car, one for the office and one for the home.

Opps you forgot the one for the friend's home .
    I thought that's what people do with their touchstones already? But if you have one for the car, that's the one you use in the friends home.
    But wait! The Veer is Touchstone compatible! Shoots, now if only it had a camera flash!
    NNJ
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I thought that's what people do with their touchstones already? But if you have one for the car, that's the one you use in the friends home.
    But wait! The Veer is Touchstone compatible! Shoots, now if only it had a camera flash!
    Well you need four external flashes , one for the home , one for the car .....
    Hopefully once it is actually released all of our questions will be answered. Or do you think HP will make purchasers sign an NDA?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Well you need four external flashes , one for the home , one for the car .....
    LOL...first good laugh for the day. Thank you.
    NNJ
    Hold on gang, here is a good one Veer has over the Pre3:

It fits in your change pocket in your jeans!!!!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I don't know who would honestly want the Veer over the Pre3. Terrible play for HP in my opinion.
    I would easily consider a Veer over a Pre3...

IF ONLY the 3.5 mm jack -OR- the usb jack were "in" the device.

People who keep saying, "it's universal... any old charger will work" are full of crap, because you're not going to be taking both of these external jacks with you all the time.

The whole idea of the smartphone was THE all-in-one device. NOT ANYMORE!!!

Want to save space? You've got to carry extra attachments, similar to a netbook with external dvd burner / power brick combo and external speakers. Saves me nothing but headaches.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I don't understand why people insisting on this audio jack and charging port not included being a negative thing. The phone is Touchstone compatible. The phone will probably have better battery time than it's larger family. You will probably have a Touchstone at home and the office anyways that you can drop it onto for charging. So you probably won't ever use the magnetic plug in thing anyways.
    The phone is bluetooth compatible, so you more than likely will never use the 3.5mm audio jack either.

Edit: The lack of camera flash remains the only negative for me.
    @gbp: I had a huge laugh picturing keeping 'my friend' supplied with batteries for his 'flash'.
    NNJ
    I don't understand why people insisting on this audio jack and charging port not included being a negative thing. The phone is Touchstone compatible. The phone will probably have better battery time than it's larger family. You will probably have a Touchstone at home and the office anyways that you can drop it onto for charging. So you probably won't ever use the magnetic plug in thing anyways.
    The phone is bluetooth compatible, so you more than likely will never use the 3.5mm audio jack either.

Edit: The lack of camera flash remains the only negative for me.
    @gbp: I had a huge laugh picturing keeping 'my friend' supplied with batteries for his 'flash'.
    The Pre is bluetooth compatible and I use the 3.5mm jack all the time. Bluetooth headphones are expensive and even more if you want a pair that has it for both ears, plays in stereo and don't suck. The teenybop market this phone is made for probably won't have bluetooth on hand either.

The only time I use the bluetooth is with my car headset.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have a htc vogue (vzw xv6900 now running android) that has a proprietary dongle with mini usb & a 2.5(!!$#) mm jack. To use wired phones I have to use the dongle and an adapter. One of the things I looked forward to when getting my pixi was the regular 3.5 jack. I have a pair of sony bt headphones I picked up cheap and they are nice to use handsfree but this week I am travelling and wired is a lot easier on a plane and one less charger to take. Sorry but to me dongles/adapters = pitb.
    I use the 3.5 mm audio jack every single day, just about...

- Koss KSC75
    - Denon D2000
    - Audio-Technica AD700
    - Sony MDR-V6
    - Etcetera
    - Tape Deck adapters for the car
    - Auxilliary Input jack behind cars with a decent head unit
    - Friends' audio systems
    - Etcetera

Oh, but it's got bluetooth, they say! FIDDLE STICKS! Unnecessary, expensive, battery drain...

The ONLY scenario in which I could possibly imagine using Bluetooth for ANYTHING is a motorcycle helmet with bluetooth *and* Walkie-Talkie to communicate with another motorcyclist. That's about it.

As for the Veer being Touchstone compatible... yea, that may be. I've got a Touchstone and I never use it. Every time I get home, it's for a short while... and I like to use the phone while it's charging. Popping the USB charger in is really just as easy as putting the thing on the Touchstone... plus I can use the device freely, as if it weren't TETHERED to the desk!!!

I'm on vacation now, and I literally had no room for any Touchstone puck. Packed one backpack with a week's worth of clothes, a couple cell phones, 1 charger, and some cell phones. Didn't even bring my laptop because I didn't think I'd have Internet out here... but I had it mailed to me in 2 days for only $25, so no biggie. I will likely have to leave some clothes behind or something. Prolly just toss 'em in a plastic bag, tho.

Touchstone is just unnecessary and more trouble than it's worth, IMHO. It still requires the USB cable and AC adapter during transportation... so why carry more than I need?? Here's looking at you Mr. Puck...

A lot of people are like me -- minimalists. A 3.5 jack "in" the phone is minimal.

I can kinda understand having the magnetic adapter for the charger, but even then... how am I supposed to carry that around and expect to plug in at a friend's house. With my Pre or Pixi, I can just hook it right up at ANYBODY'S house. I might have to jam it in there to make sure it's a good connection, but it works. The chances that my Veer would die with a perfectly good charger sitting in the wall right next to me will just so happen to be a chance I'm not willing to take.

Apple's mantra is simplicity. Are magnetic adapters that remove everyday functionality really that simplistic??
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I use the 3.5 mm audio jack every single day, just about...

- Koss KSC75
    - Denon D2000
    - Audio-Technica AD700
    - Sony MDR-V6
    - Etcetera
    - Tape Deck adapters for the car
    - Auxilliary Input jack behind cars with a decent head unit
    - Friends' audio systems
    - Etcetera

Oh, but it's got bluetooth, they say! FIDDLE STICKS! Unnecessary, expensive, battery drain...

The ONLY scenario in which I could possibly imagine using Bluetooth for ANYTHING is a motorcycle helmet with bluetooth *and* Walkie-Talkie to communicate with another motorcyclist. That's about it.

As for the Veer being Touchstone compatible... yea, that may be. I've got a Touchstone and I never use it. Every time I get home, it's for a short while... and I like to use the phone while it's charging. Popping the USB charger in is really just as easy as putting the thing on the Touchstone... plus I can use the device freely, as if it weren't TETHERED to the desk!!!

I'm on vacation now, and I literally had no room for any Touchstone puck. Packed one backpack with a week's worth of clothes, a couple cell phones, 1 charger, and some cell phones. Didn't even bring my laptop because I didn't think I'd have Internet out here... but I had it mailed to me in 2 days for only $25, so no biggie. I will likely have to leave some clothes behind or something. Prolly just toss 'em in a plastic bag, tho.

Touchstone is just unnecessary and more trouble than it's worth, IMHO. It still requires the USB cable and AC adapter during transportation... so why carry more than I need?? Here's looking at you Mr. Puck...

A lot of people are like me -- minimalists. A 3.5 jack "in" the phone is minimal.

I can kinda understand having the magnetic adapter for the charger, but even then... how am I supposed to carry that around and expect to plug in at a friend's house. With my Pre or Pixi, I can just hook it right up at ANYBODY'S house. I might have to jam it in there to make sure it's a good connection, but it works. The chances that my Veer would die with a perfectly good charger sitting in the wall right next to me will just so happen to be a chance I'm not willing to take.

Apple's mantra is simplicity. Are magnetic adapters that remove everyday functionality really that simplistic??
    Sorry, after initial reaction to your message I have to reassess my response.
    Seems as though you have no problems with a lot of wires and connectors running around all over, so I don't understand your making a fuss of the magnetic adapter.

My understanding is the magnetic adapter has USB allowing for USB charging. So it will plug in just fine at your friend's house.

That vacation story and your unable find space for your Touchstone, but able to pack a few phones and charger really true?

How do I come to be called Mr. Puck?

Why bring Apple into this at all?

Edit: How is one able to use a phone (not 'tethered to a desk using a Touchstone) that is tethered to a wall outlet via charging cable 'freely'?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    The lack of a headset jack is less than ideal, but it does make getting stuck in headphone mode impossible.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast