Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Like most of you said Veer is a perfect companion to Touchpad. It will also cost less than Pre3+Touchpad combo. So advantages are size and price for sure.

Now about that 3.5mm jack, once you go bluetooth u dont go back! I strongly suggest Sony DR-BT50, yes they cost $200 but really any good headphones will run you almost as much. Sound is amazing! I couldn't believe bluetooth headphones were capable of such thing
    Thanks for the info on Sony bluetooth headset. I prefer bluetooth over wired headset. The issue is about charging. for most folks its another "thing" to remember. Me thinks HP made a mistake of not including a 3.5 MM jack.
    The Veer does have a 3.5 mm jack. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's just removable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bodyshop; 03/30/2011 at 06:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    The Veer does have a 3.5 mm jack. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's just removable.
    The Veer does NOT have a 3.5 jack... it has a magnetic strip with contacts that you can stick a converter to. That is not the same thing...

There are some advantages to that... it probably saves on internal space within the phone itself... the contacts can be multi-purposed (i e, converters for the same contacts for charging/usb)

Some possible disadvantages... if you lose your little magnetic converter while walking around you cant charge your phone at all or, its an extra small piece to keep track of?... if the contacts get really dirty or oxidize you might have lousy connection which would reduce sound quality and help create more heat when charging... How strong are those magnets? strong enough to screw up your credit card or hotel door cards if you keep it in the same pocket with your phone? ... when you are jogging and using the veer as an mp3 player, how secure will that converter be for your headphones? is popping of going to be an annoying problem?...

Naturally... those are just things I came up with in 2 minutes of thinking about it... and none of them could be right at all. And I could be a moron... Ive learned to never discount that possibility...
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post

Some possible disadvantages... if you lose your little magnetic converter while walking around you cant charge your phone at all or, its an extra small piece to keep track of?... if the contacts get really dirty or oxidize you might have lousy connection which would reduce sound quality and help create more heat when charging... How strong are those magnets? strong enough to screw up your credit card or hotel door cards if you keep it in the same pocket with your phone? ... when you are jogging and using the veer as an mp3 player, how secure will that converter be for your headphones? is popping of going to be an annoying problem?...

Naturally... those are just things I came up with in 2 minutes of thinking about it... and none of them could be right at all. And I could be a moron... Ive learned to never discount that possibility...
    I guess the credit card thing is valid concern. Jogging ? I would have a bluetooth headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I guess the credit card thing is valid concern. Jogging ? I would have a bluetooth headset.
    Hah... yeah, me too... Ive got a pair of backbeats that go with me everywhere. But a lot of people really dislike bluetooth headsets for listening to music... they are usually a lot more bulky, weigh a lot... most of them are pretty iffy in high moisture/sweat situations... and they have to be recharged. Plus... some have serious issues with getting a good connection unless you find a way to give it "clear line of sight" so to speak... I know I cant leave my pre in my pants pocket and listen to music while I jog... I have to put it in an armband or it cuts out a lot...

And the credit card thing could be completely invalid... are they resistant to magnets these days? It would be just my luck to ruin my debit card when im low on gas and have no cash on hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Actually, Ruby just clarified this point in tonight's Engadget interview. Ruby said that the initial release of the Veer will not have Touch-to-Share (TTS), but it will come to it with an OTA update. Great news
    Unfortunately they said that about the Pre and Flash too.. Hopefully it really happens.
    The Veer does NOT have a 3.5 jack... it has a magnetic strip with contacts that you can stick a converter to. That is not the same thing...

There are some advantages to that... it probably saves on internal space within the phone itself... the contacts can be multi-purposed (i e, converters for the same contacts for charging/usb)
    OK. That's like saying the Pre doesn't come with a charger, since it's not attached. Most people were asking if it has one since pictures of it show no headphone jack. Some even say without one it's a deal breaker. I was just letting them know it does have a jack it's just removable. Therefore they can hook it up to their car radios & whatnot, for whatever reason they need the 3.5mm jack.
    Last edited by bodyshop; 03/30/2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Now about that 3.5mm jack, once you go bluetooth u dont go back! I strongly suggest Sony DR-BT50, yes they cost $200 but really any good headphones will run you almost as much. Sound is amazing! I couldn't believe bluetooth headphones were capable of such thing
    I'd also recommend Nokia BH-905i that you can use wired or bluetooth, and with great noise cancelling.
    ... a lot of people really dislike bluetooth headsets for listening to music... some have serious issues with getting a good connection unless you find a way to give it "clear line of sight" so to speak... I know I cant leave my pre in my pants pocket and listen to music while I jog... I have to put it in an armband or it cuts out a lot...
    Well...improving your 'clear line of sight' is an incentive to run more and slim down I guess... The more you run...the better your reception...

And the credit card thing could be completely invalid... are they resistant to magnets these days? It would be just my luck to ruin my debit card when im low on gas and have no cash on hand...
    I wonder about that too. I know that hotel room keys are notoriously easy to mess up. Usually the front desk says to not place their room key right on top of another credit card. If the magnetic strip on a neigboring card, separated by a millimeter thickness of that card can mess up the hotel key card, then you would think a stronger magnet like the connector (it must have a notably stronger magnetic field than a credit card) could be a problem. Of course, if you have RFID cards, no problem...in fact, some hotels are going this route. That's why you see more people walking around covered in tin foil...it's not a new fashion style, or tryouts for the next best thing in musical groups to replace the Blue Man Group.

Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

Actually, if you had your phone in the same pocket with your credit cards, etc., and the phone rings, the cards would get messed up (personal experience), magnets or not.

OK. That's like saying the Pre doesn't come with a charger, since it's not attached. Most people were asking if it has one since pictures of it show no headphone jack. Some even say without one it's a deal breaker. I was just letting them know it does have a jack it's just removable. Therefore they can hook it up to their car radios & whatnot, for whatever reason they need the 3.5mm jack.
    I would like to disagree, it's not like saying the Pre doesn't come with a charger. Chargers are a standard item, they 'come' with phones, and is listed under accessories/items in box. Phone features are listed as what the phone 'has'. So it doesn't 'have' a 3.5mm jack, it doesn't 'have' a camera flash. But it 'comes' with a charger and a 3.5mm magnetic adapter device, and you can buy a spotlight to substitute for a camera flash.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Actually, if you had your phone in the same pocket with your credit cards, etc., and the phone rings, the cards would get messed up (personal experience), magnets or not.

I would like to disagree, it's not like saying the Pre doesn't come with a charger. Chargers are a standard item, they 'come' with phones, and is listed under accessories/items in box. Phone features are listed as what the phone 'has'. So it doesn't 'have' a 3.5mm jack, it doesn't 'have' a camera flash. But it 'comes' with a charger and a 3.5mm magnetic adapter device, and you can buy a spotlight to substitute for a camera flash.
    I agree. The biggest diference for me is that if I'm at a friend's house and my phone is dying there's a good chance they have a charger that works with my Pre. Chances of them having one for my Veer?
    Last edited by pavvento; 03/30/2011 at 09:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I agree. The biggest diference for me is that if I'm at a friend's house and my phone is dying there's a god chance they have a charger that works with my Pre. Chances of them having one for my Veer?
    I don't understand, you've been to your friend's house before with a dying phone (any model) and he just happened to have a compatible charger (any model)?

When I said 'chargers are standard items' I didn't mean that the chargers are all in common with each other and interchangeable. I meant that all phones have chargers.
    NNJ

If it still comes with the phone as an accessory, does it matter?...so I should answer no it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, instead of yes it has one it's just a removable one?
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I agree. The biggest diference for me is that if I'm at a friend's house and my phone is dying there's a good chance they have a charger that works with my Pre. Chances of them having one for my Veer?
    Actually if you have the removable usb accessory with you at your friends house, you can use his charger.

Veer does have these things they are just removable/attachable in order to save internal space to keep the phone small. Kind of like a wifi card for laptop being permanently installed internally or
    removable/attachable. Different yet the same functionality.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    If it still comes with the phone as an accessory, does it matter?...so I should answer no it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, instead of yes it has one it's just a removable one?
    Exactly, because that's just what it is. And then everybody will then ask: whoa, how does that work? And you'll tell them, and they will go: WOW, how cool is that?

Then you will tell them: Look, this same connector works with standard USB charging too! So if you're at a friend's home and your phone is dying, charging won't be a problem, because you just might have had a connector like this stuck in your car somewhere.
    NNJ
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    It does not have a 3.5 mm jack by default, the jack needs to be "attached", hence it will be an accessory. Charging is different. The Pre has a micro USB port for charging which is part of the phone not some external attachment.

The point here is about being part of the phone rather than external attachment.
    Actually if you have the removable usb accessory with you at your friends house, you can use his charger.

Veer does have these things they are just removable/attachable in order to save internal space to keep the phone small. Kind of like a wifi card for laptop being permanently installed internally or
    removable/attachable. Different yet the same functionality.
    I was under the impression that the adapter for the headphones was detachable, but the one for the charger was attached to the charger.

Google Image Result for http://media.precentral.net/resources/images/000/076/715/large/veer-connector-4.JPG
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Exactly, because that's just what it is. And then everybody will then ask: whoa, how does that work? And you'll tell them, and they will go: WOW, how cool is that?

Then you will tell them: Look, this same connector works with standard USB charging too! So if you're at a friend's home and your phone is dying, charging won't be a problem, because you just might have had a connector like this stuck in your car somewhere.
    And remember to carry the connector all the time. Chances are that you are going to either loose or forget them.

Better yet, you might want three more. One for the car, one for the office and one for the home.

Opps you forgot the one for the friend's home .
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Veer can be a compelling phone to buy if it includes a usb charger, 3.5 mm jack and a 1500 mAh battery.

That would make it a solid pocketable phone with great battery life., may be Veer 2 will have it.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    And why on earth Jon Ruby use it as primary phone ? may be the smaller size and battery lasting the work day.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast