Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubasa92 View Post
    What does the Veer have over the Pre 3?
    Class?
    Character?
    The fact it doesn't radiate "BUY ME IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF **** TO COMPENSATE FOR"?
    Why is anybody wondering about the Veer form factor?

Not too long ago there was a race to make mobile phones ever smaller (they started off as big bricks after all) and people bragged about their new phone being even more compact.
    My brother-in-law made it a habit to always get the smallest mobile phone available.

Sure with smartphones screen size (or rather the available viewing area) is much more of a consideration compared to old style "dumb"/"feature" phones.

But being compact is still it's own advantage - even when that collides with the opposing feature of wanting ever more usable screen area. So it's an individual compromise between 2 opposing advantages. Different people have different preferences where that compromise should be.

IMHO it's very smart to offer a very compact smartphone - as part of a range of devices - to capture that part of the market that cares about compactness.

It's similar to - say - CPU power. On the one hand we want maximum power (2 GHz quadcore with dedicated high performance GPU etc...).
    On the other hand we want long batter life, low cost and no overheating. The 2 goals collide and there needs to be a balanced compromise. But that compromise is not a single fixed point - it differs from person to person.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    For those of us that have TouchStones in our car, falls will happen less. Every now and then my Pre- slips off the TS while driving. (Crossing railroads, driving on mega crappy Illinois/Wisconsin roads...) Granted, mine is mounted kind of vertically, but still.

Was thinking the Pre 3 might be slightly heavier and worried it might fall more. The Veer is so tiny I bet it would never drop!

...still getting a 3, though.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $veer$ $will$ $support$ $HSDA$+ $so$ $it$ $will$ $have$ $faster$ $upload$/$download$ $than$ $Pre$ $3$ $where$ $available$.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Pre 3 is superior to the Veer in almost every way.
    Basically.

When developers are building apps taking advantage of the extra pixels on the Pre 3, they're going to ignore the Veer. Just like they did the Pixi. Although at least it's not armv6 anymore. Pre3's not much different in size than OG Pre thankfully, so the only advantage Veer has is to counteract those developers with crappy UI design who are damned and determined to put critical buttons at the top of the phone without providing gesture or keyboard shortcuts, basically necessitating you have to use two hands with the device. But I just don't use those apps, since they generally have better alternatives.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Basically.

When developers are building apps taking advantage of the extra pixels on the Pre 3, they're going to ignore the Veer. Just like they did the Pixi.
    One word...

ENYO

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Basically.

When developers are building apps taking advantage of the extra pixels on the Pre 3, they're going to ignore the Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    One word...

ENYO
    That response is only really valid for applications that aren't "taking advantage of the extra pixels". Unfortunately, applications with closely spaced minimum sized controls don't shrink well.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    That response is only really valid for applications that aren't "taking advantage of the extra pixels". Unfortunately, applications with closely spaced minimum sized controls don't shrink well.
    No.. It valid for all apps but pdk and Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe hybrid , as its not "shrinking" persay.. There's no coding for diff resolutions.. Buttons won't get cut or squished.. That is the beauty of enyo..

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    No.. It valid for all apps but pdk and Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe hybrid , as its not "shrinking" persay.. There's no coding for diff resolutions.. Buttons won't get cut or squished.. That is the beauty of enyo..
    Yep, you'll just have to scroll twice as much!

As for games, I guess we'll have S,M, and L versions of those...but it'll end up being M and L in practice.

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Veer is the ultimate tablet companion. I'll take it! If you have a tablet you'll have it with you most of the time. For the times you don't the Veer will do fine I think. I love the tiny form factor. The Pre3 is way too bulky to my taste.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    I considered that for a few minutes until I realized that I use my phone constantly at work and have a browser window open, my rss feed reader, dr podder, angry birds... I'd hate to spend my workday on such a small screen to do the same thing, honestly it wouldn't feel like an upgrade from my pre minus.

But, if I weren't on my phone all day, then I follow your point completely.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    size could be considered an advantage to the veer. if you have a touchpad why do you need a huge phone to with it? Touchpad heavy use, veer your phone and quick on the go type activities.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    It's like comparing a Smart Car to a Mercedes S Class. They are both cars made by Mercedes. Both have all the normal car stuff. One is small and fairly cheap and not too amazing. One is large and luxurious and powerful.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Then there'd be no reason for it to not work on all other webOS devices, but there is no mention of it working with the Veer or Pre 2. Hopefully this will be clarified as the release of the TP comes closer.

I think this would help sales of the Pre 2 if it will be compatible with some of these features.
    I think there is one hardware difference that the Pre3, and possibly the Veer, have that other webOS devices (like Pre2) don't have, a Touch to Share activation coil or trigger. I can't remember what they call that piece of hardware, but it is some type of device that detects close proximity to the Touchpad, so that the Touchpad registers it has a device that is requesting it's input. But, would there be an app or toggle (Homebrew developers, is this likely?) that could be used to manually activate a Touch To Share event since the actual data to share is sent via bluetooth. So, we need a manual trigger on a Pre2...could it work on a Pre/Pre+ or Pixi/Pixi+ also?

I'm speculating a lot here, but I do think I read in the forums or in info posted during and after the events surrounding the Feb 9th announcements that the trigger coil present in the Pre3 is also in the Veer. I would feel more confident if we could see a video of someone doing TTS with a veer.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I think there is one hardware difference that the Pre3, and possibly the Veer, have that other webOS devices (like Pre2) don't have, a Touch to Share activation coil or trigger. I can't remember what they call that piece of hardware, but it is some type of device that detects close proximity to the Touchpad, so that the Touchpad registers it has a device that is requesting it's input. But, would there be an app or toggle (Homebrew developers, is this likely?) that could be used to manually activate a Touch To Share event since the actual data to share is sent via bluetooth. So, we need a manual trigger on a Pre2...could it work on a Pre/Pre+ or Pixi/Pixi+ also?

I'm speculating a lot here, but I do think I read in the forums or in info posted during and after the events surrounding the Feb 9th announcements that the trigger coil present in the Pre3 is also in the Veer. I would feel more confident if we could see a video of someone doing TTS with a veer.

I think you're right, there is some type of coil. I also think, like you said, that there are ways to get around needing that coil (in my uneducated opinion). I'm reminded of Apple adding MMS to the 3G iPhone and claiming it was impossible for them to add it to the original, when it was possible through jailbreaking. I hope that HP does not force the general user to go without a feature that is technically possible with a patch. Customizing is one thing, withholding features is another.
    there is a method for launching exhibition without a touchstone, and I suspect that TTS will have that same type of workaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubasa92 View Post
    If the touch to share feature isnt supported with the Veer, that kinda takes away the appeal of having it to go with the pad. But I do see how a smaller phone would go well with owning the pad.
    Actually, Ruby just clarified this point in tonight's Engadget interview. Ruby said that the initial release of the Veer will not have Touch-to-Share (TTS), but it will come to it with an OTA update. Great news
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I'm a newbie developer, using Ares the graphical deveopment kit on the Palm site. My first version of my app isn't Veer compatible, because the brief instructions on the Palm site were not real easy to find and were over simplified. Palm needs to make that a top-level guide, and more thorough!

However, I want other doctors and nurses to be able to use the tool regardless of model, so compatibility was a must, even if Palm thinks we are all born knowing the intracacies of Ares.

Fortunately it isn't too difficult, just tedious. It only took 1 tip from PalmDoc and a few hours experimenting and revamping and now my app is fully Veer compatible (Bishop Score, v1.1.0). Most "tool" type apps could be revamped similarly.

I am also looking forward to Enyo to be able to do this easier from the outset!

-
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    For those of us that have TouchStones in our car, falls will happen less. Every now and then my Pre- slips off the TS while driving. (Crossing railroads, driving on mega crappy Illinois/Wisconsin roads...) Granted, mine is mounted kind of vertically, but still.

Was thinking the Pre 3 might be slightly heavier and worried it might fall more. The Veer is so tiny I bet it would never drop!

...still getting a 3, though.
    Can you really use a TS in your car?? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Only had my Pre2 for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbkvboc View Post
    Can you really use a TS in your car?? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Only had my Pre2 for a few days.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ures-here.html
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    It's like comparing a Smart Car to a Mercedes S Class. They are both cars made by Mercedes. Both have all the normal car stuff. One is small and fairly cheap and not too amazing. One is large and luxurious and powerful.
    not quite, more like comparing a civic to an accord.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast