Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    While using the argument of wanting to charge and listen to music at the same time may be a moot point for some, having to change peripherals so you can charge or listen to music will be found cumbersome by most. Heaven forbid you lose one of those attachments or forget to take it with you somewhere when you need it.

Is it realistic to think people pack touchstones on their trips, or have custom installs in their vehicles? No.

And surprisingly, A LOT of people don't like bluetooth headsets (I personally don't use one, don't want to worry about charging it and prefer two earbuds); I know a lot more people that use the standard/typical wired headset vs. a bluetooth headset. Charging your phone in your car while using a headset will pose a problem for many.
    Bottom line to this thread appears to be the norm with ANY phone, there is no perfect phone, and the Veer is no exception, and is not the phone that will meet everybody's needs. Thank goodness for choices.
    I really dont think its a problem... im more annoyed that probably cant listen to music while the Veer is in its official lether glove

I hope there will be an official touchstone caradapter in the future and a free and easy wireless sync option for all OSes. maybe WebosInternals could fix this too
    I just got my touchstone a few month ago, after using the pre without it for over 1 year and i cant believe i got mine so late.

Also if your battery is so low that you risk a shutdown if you pick it up from the charger you could just use the speaker function.
    You're right, but remember that people don't care about greatness unless it comes from Apple. If the Veer was made by them, it would be a revolutionarily small phone, iPod, internet communications device, internet reader, ebook reader, and calclator! In one device! And anyone bashing the non-standard input is not a visionary and doesn't think different enough. What makes it even more revolutionary is how it's designed to be wireless and only takes wires if you absolutely want it to!! People would buy buckets.

Since it's made by HP, people will call it a tiny phone that probably can't do anything (never tried it but look at it, something that small can't be good) and doesn't even have standard inputs, forcing you to go wireless, which sucks (if it didn't, Apple would already have done it).

I still know a bunch of people that WILL get a Veer and use it without any wires. But you'll have to admit that this is bad news for a big chunk of the unwashed mainstream that isn't part of the geek demographic.
    So let me get this straight......
    a) the phone is nearly dead and sitting on a touchstone.
    b) the phone rings (should I answer it? It might go dead!)
    c) speakerphone isn't an option(sonic beat me to this )
    d) there isn't an alternate landline that you couldn't possibly just call the caller back on?

not trying to pick on you but it seems to me that there are other options.

@sonic: I believe I saw somebody announce a soon-to-be-released FTP app coming out, and for that matter ...wifi media sync isn't that expensive and simple to use
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I find this thread quite amusing.

Personally i prefer no wires, so i virtually never use the micfrousb. As for audio, i have partially converted my audio players/headphones to BT.
    I will never convert to BT headphones. There is absolutely ZERO benefit where my several headphones, speakers are doing the job just fine.

Those headphones/speakers will last FOREVER. These novel BT headsets will last as long as it needs a new battery, and then I'm not going to replace it, so they'll end up in the trash, where they belong.

Headphones shouldn't need batteries. PERIOD. Headphones should ALWAYS work, the instant I hook them up.

grndslm: have you tried a touchstone? I don't understand your resistance... The "i have to take a phone call and charge at the same time" argument doesn't hold water for me... do you really have that problem a lot? The touchstone is so easy, just put it on and wiggle to get a good connection. Phone rings grab it and walk wherever you want, no cord!
    Yes, I HAVE a touchstone. EVERY time that I try it, it's as the phone is dying and I get a call... this is why I've simply stopped using it, because I simply have to pull the usb cord out and plug it straight into the phone, so that it won't restart!!

Do you often listen to music through headphones while charging? That seems like another corner case...
    Actually, not headphones all that often while I'm at my house. But I have a stereo system that I listen to all the time. I connect it to friends' stereo systems, frequently. Just as I was at the airport a few weeks back, I *had* to charge my phone at the layover... and while I wasn't listening to the headphones because I didn't want to miss any pertinent announcements, it's nice to know that I *could've* listened, had I wanted.

THIS is what sells phones -- capabilities. People don't need compasses, augmented reality apps, etc... but it's nice to know that they have them the 1 instance out of a 2-yr contract. How many instances will people want to use their friend's microUSB charger, when they don't have the adapter? How many instances will people want to listen to ANY external audio while charging w/ microUSB? Greater than 1 instance in a 2-yr contract, I'm sure... which is why people aren't gonna buy it when they can get ANOTHER smartphone that does.

My story is that I'm not at home very often. I am not in any one place very often. I have no set schedule ever. A touchstone will not work for me, and neither will a slab without keyboard... and neither will a 10" slate... Sometimes I'm riding a bus, a train, an airplane... Sometimes I'm away from my home for a week at a time, even tho I'm in the same town... Sometimes somebody needs help doing something, so I have to leave. I'd rather bring a dead phone with me to charge when I get to my destination than have a phone w/out a legitimate way to change the battery, nor a legitimate way to charge it without a special adapter.

I want a Pixi2 and *maybe* a 7" slate. Why are they holding the best for last? Because they know those are what people want???

I'm not trying to make this personal, but IMO arguing against the Veer on the grounds of not being able to charge and listen to music with cords at the same time seems silly... That phone is meant to be small and sleek. gobbing it up with cables seems like the antithesis of this.
    And this is why HP/Palm is oblivious to what people NEED.

You sell people what they NEED, not what they WANT.

I'd like wireless everything, and wireless charging without being DIRECTLY on a "dock"... but I don't need that stuff. It's all superfluous. I *NEED* a charged phone. I *NEED* a 3.5mm jack because every other smartphone has it without the use of an adapter, and if HP/Palm doesn't offer it, I will just get my next phone from someone else.

I'm gonna go ahead and be honest right now, tho... I'm sick and tired of repeating myself. The Veer could have been a GREAT phone. It could have been an iPhone/Android/BlackBerry/WP7 killer. But this phone will not sell for reasons I've stated. Guaranteed.

If HP/Palm wants to sell a "blockbuster" handset, they need to take the Pixi and put the Veer internals inside. They're shooting in every direction besides THE OPTIMUM DIRECTION, the one where Treo/Centro users have found their Holy Grail for the past 8 years or so. STOP TICKING OFF "THE BASE", AND GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!! NOBODY *WANTS* THESE CRAPPY ATTACHMENTS. THEY ONLY NEED THEM BECAUSE YOUR ENGINEERS ARE BASS-ACKWARDS.[/STORY]
    Last edited by grndslm; 04/15/2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added a bit more frustration....
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I use bluetooth headphones almost 100% of the time because I love the fact that there is no cord. However, the kind of person who wants their phone to be the size of a credit card probably isn't the same kind of person who wants to carry around bluetooth headsets everywhere.

I mean, if you're going to have to carry around a headset then what difference does it makes how large the phone is? When I try to think about what kind of person wants a small phone like the Veer, I'm thinking of a hipster dude wearing skinny jeans and black Keds.

Koss KSC75

You can't get much smaller than those without getting uncomfortable in-ear-monitors and other junky earbuds....

What bluetooth headphones do you use that are smaller than those??

If Koss tried to change their KSC75s to bluetooth, they would very likely be HEAVIER and BULKIER due to the extra electrical components, and batteries, because you can't just have one. Then you've got to worry about EACH being charged. Pure junky concept.

Sign up to head-fi.org and see how many people there like bluetooth headphones. I haven't been there in a few years, but last I heard, they're junk and I don't think opinions will have changed too terribly much.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Headphones shouldn't need batteries. PERIOD. Headphones should ALWAYS work, the instant I hook them up.
    Until one of those tiny little wires breaks. A common occurrance with ear buds. Even expensive ones.

Yes, I HAVE a touchstone. EVERY time that I try it, it's as the phone is dying and I get a call... this is why I've simply stopped using it, because I simply have to pull the usb cord out and plug it straight into the phone, so that it won't restart!!
    you are using it wrong

Wow. after reading that... I need a nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Until one of those tiny little wires breaks. A common occurrance with ear buds. Even expensive ones.
    I'd rather take my chances with wires not breaking than batteries not dying or needing to be replaced.

you are using it wrong
    Do you know how many hours in a day I'm at my house, on average...???

Anywhere from 0 to 3. Nobody will be able to train me to instantly set my phone on the Touchstone, esp. before I go to bed, because that's NOT what I do the other 27 days of the month. What I do is... plug it in when I can, because that's all anybody can do without RE-TRAINING themselves.

Who *wants* a phone that will require them to change their daily habits?? ... and their life, even??

I'm not about to change my lifestyle for a phone. Sorry.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite!!

I was going to go to take a nap myself, actually... but I think I'm going to look for decent BT headphones instead. Where should I start?

There seem to be quite a few BT headphone aficionados in this thread... Any recommendations, guys??

you are using it wrong

The thing is no one knows how much the adaptors for the veer cost. They could cost 20, 30, or even 40 dollars. That can get expensive if they break or you lose them. While a pair of gummy earphones cost 10 dollars and are quite durable and sound great.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G powered by CM7
    I think if HP surprises us and makes this accessories cheap it won't be too much of an issue. It wasn't until Touchstones really dropped in price that I started taking full advantage of them. That's why the micro usb cords are great, they're like $.15 on Amazon. I bought a bunch, and keep them in strategic places so I never have to think about it.

If the adapters can be had for $10 or so it will alleviate some fears about having to rely on an adapter. If they are charging $40 it will be a concern (I'm looking at you $40 'official' phone charger!)

EDIT: Wow, way to post at the same time and same topic Koolkid! I second that post.
    So you're saying the Veer is not for you. Why don't you just get the Pre2 or Pre3? Why is this makng you so upset?

There are people that will buy the Veer for the fact that it IS best wireless. This phone is the 'cool' phone. The Pre3 is going to be the utility phone.

Is someone forcing you to buy a Veer?

I'd rather take my chances with wires not breaking than batteries not dying or needing to be replaced.

Do you know how many hours in a day I'm at my house, on average...???

Anywhere from 0 to 3. Nobody will be able to train me to instantly set my phone on the Touchstone, esp. before I go to bed, because that's NOT what I do the other 27 days of the month. What I do is... plug it in when I can, because that's all anybody can do without RE-TRAINING themselves.

Who *wants* a phone that will require them to change their daily habits?? ... and their life, even??

I'm not about to change my lifestyle for a phone. Sorry.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite!!

I was going to go to take a nap myself, actually... but I think I'm going to look for decent BT headphones instead. Where should I start?

There seem to be quite a few BT headphone aficionados in this thread... Any recommendations, guys??
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I use bluetooth headphones almost 100% of the time because I love the fact that there is no cord. However, the kind of person who wants their phone to be the size of a credit card probably isn't the same kind of person who wants to carry around bluetooth headsets everywhere.
    Exactly! I have gone through about five Bluetooth headsets in my smartphone owning era and hated them all. They burn my battery, they themselves always seem to need to be recharged when I need it. I've washed a couple (pockets), one just stopped working and my first I just threw away because it was a pain to connect up when my phone rang (unless you're the tool that walks around with it in your ear all the time).

The only time I use mine these days is in the car, on long trips. And I charge it up and plan my use.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    So you're saying the Veer is not for you. Why don't you just get the Pre2 or Pre3? Why is this makng you so upset?

There are people that will buy the Veer for the fact that it IS best wireless. This phone is the 'cool' phone. The Pre3 is going to be the utility phone.

Is someone forcing you to buy a Veer?
    Nobody's forcing me to buy a Veer.

What somebody -- HP! -- is doing is forcing me to look at other manufacturers.

All they had to do was use the design they've already got, which just so happens to be the 'cool' phone and the 'utility' phone, all-in-one.

I have this feeling like HP has no idea what Treo/Centro/Blackberry users are looking for. They're just going buck wild when they could have solidified their BASE, plus the BASE of other "weaker" phoneOSes (BB, WP7)... so they're going to push their current base AWAY (like they're doing) instead of pulling in those "unstable" phoneOS users.

Basically, they're just making themselves MORE unstable!!

As cardfan said in another thread... DO *NOT* release your tiny, niche phone before you releae your flagship phone. Understandable?

HP can do this, and HP can do that, HP has a quadrillion dollars. They're going to go broke trying to design a phone that they've already got -- THE PIXI. Just make the name a little less "geh" next time, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Exactly! I have gone through about five Bluetooth headsets in my smartphone owning era and hated them all. They burn my battery, they themselves always seem to need to be recharged when I need it. I've washed a couple (pockets), one just stopped working and my first I just threw away because it was a pain to connect up when my phone rang (unless you're the tool that walks around with it in your ear all the time).
    This!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

My Sennheiser buds get fixed with a lifetime warranty. Same is true for my Grado headphones. I think Koss is the same but haven't had to try them yet .
    We're not talking cheap cans here.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

you are using it wrong

Nobody's forcing me to buy a Veer.

What somebody -- HP! -- is doing is forcing me to look at other manufacturers.

All they had to do was use the design they've already got, which just so happens to be the 'cool' phone and the 'utility' phone, all-in-one.

I have this feeling like HP has no idea what Treo/Centro/Blackberry users are looking for. They're just going buck wild when they could have solidified their BASE, plus the BASE of other "weaker" phoneOSes (BB, WP7)... so they're going to push their current base AWAY (like they're doing) instead of pulling in those "unstable" phoneOS users.

Basically, they're just making themselves MORE unstable!!

As cardfan said in another thread... DO *NOT* release your tiny, niche phone before you releae your flagship phone. Understandable?

HP can do this, and HP can do that, HP has a quadrillion dollars. They're going to go broke trying to design a phone that they've already got -- THE PIXI. Just make the name a little less "geh" next time, please?

Two Android manufacturers have started marketing Treo/Blackberry styled phones in the past 4 months. Motorola with the Droid Pro and Samsung with the Galaxy Pro. They both seem to "get it", while HP chooses to "lose it" .
    "It" in both cases can mean
    - the picture
    - customer base

I rate phone utility and function a little over OS so I'm not held down by WebOS vs Android. But, what those phones do not have are ringer switches which would solidify a switch for me. So I'll keep my Pixi and play the waiting game. I can't wait too long though since I sure do hate all the latest WebOS updated apps with none supporting 1.4.5 but rather 2.x.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    The thing that everybody here has missed is that PreCentral is a fan site - it's if frequented by people who care about the details of the product and who are probably power users of the product.

The average user - especially the Veer's target audience - aren't going to spend their time browsing a smart phone fan site debating the pros and cons of magnetic cord attachments vs. touchstones vs. usb cables.

The average target user of the Veer is going to look at it and go "*squee!* It's SOOO cute! Mooooom! Daaaaaad! I want the cute one!"

HP has been expected to take over an entire company and its product line and crank out new products and new software as though there was never any transition at all. I'm willing to wait for them to get up to speed. I see things coming down the road. Dates gradually solidify. They are being careful - and they're only irritating the very small percentage of all cell phone users who happen to frequent product-specific websites and forums.

We need to get over ourselves - we are an important source of feedback for HP. We are NOT their core customer base.
    You're not whining, are you bbycrts??

You bring an excellent point, tho... "Why announce your devices more than 4 months in advance? ... so that the 'enthusiast' websites can make you feel even more "mentally challenged" than you already are?"

That's REALLY not our fault...
    i dont know but hasnt everyone else announced their stuff well in advance too we have heard tell of a white iphone for over a year now right ?? am i wrong here ?? lol just check out everyone else as well . also no one is forcing you to do anything . you have a choice and its your choice to make . if you dont want to wait then dont . also know that once HP get a device or 2 out the door they will start coming a little quicker . remember HP has never really been on the phone side of tech . before . but they will get there eventually !! believe it !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast