Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is is just me or is the Veer just the Trojan Horse HP needs order to break WebOS into the mainstream?

Its no secret the the smartphone industry is growing, but the dumbphone market is still much bigger. Instead of convincing people to switch from android or iphone, maybe its not such a bad idea to convert dumbphone users to webOS.

"People bought nearly 62 million smartphones in the second quarter of 2010 (according to Gartner research). But compared to the 264 million new “dumbphones” sold in the same quarter, all those iPhones, Androids, and BlackBerrys are just a drop in the bucket."

So what keeps people from switching to smartphones. "Complexity" and Price. The first one is more of a perceived complexity if you ask me. regardless of what smartphone you have, if all you want to do is make calls and text, those things aren't really difficult to figure out. HP shouldn't have a problem marketing WebOS' simplicity. The real problem is that if all a person wants to do is call/text, they aren't going to spend $200-$500 to do so.

Thats where the Veer comes in (or could come in if HP is smart). Many people suggest that HP should sell their webOS products at a loss in order to help penetrate the market. Selling the Veer at a loss would be the least painful. This could be the 2011 motorola razor (in terms of sales) if handled properly. Then before you know it, the installed base is here, the developers are here, and the webOS brand is recognized, just in time for the Pre3 and the touchpad to bring in the heavy artillery.

i kinda want one of these little suckers for myself
    Huge hole at the bottom of this boat: carrier data plans. They are only going up, and unlike the upfront price of the phone, they don't drop over the life of the device.

Even bigger hole in the bottom of the boat: It's the Veer hardware.

Ocean water rushing in: It's exclusive in America to the least price sensitive, most smartphone craving customers carrier.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Exactly right on the data plans. The veer is not a "dumb" phone. It is more complex than a push button 10 digit plus 2 rock solid nokia handset.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Huge hole at the bottom of this boat: carrier data plans. They are only going up, and unlike the upfront price of the phone, they don't drop over the life of the device.

Ocean water rushing in: It's exclusive in America to the least price sensitive, most smartphone craving customers carrier.
    I have to agree with this. This phone would be able to do such a thing if carriers would offer better and more affordable data plans.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

data could be an issue, but if they're out to chip at the dumbphone marker, i'm sure those folks can manage w/ data caps.

whats wrong with the veer hardware?

screensize: typical for dumb-phone
    Non-standard peripherals: typical for a dumb-phone
    Innards: competitive w/ smartphones

I haven't seen a single hands-on that was critical of the veer's hardware.

as far as carrier info and exclusivity, none of that was announced. What are you basing that on?
    If smartphone averse people have to get a "real" smartphone data plan, and learn a "real" smartphone os, and are exposed to "real" smartphone apps, they just as well get a "real" smartphone. There is no intermediate step.
    the Veer is a "real" smartphone. It's just tiny.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Yeah, the Veer is really amazing actually. I had a chance to play with it and was floored at how fast it was.

I think there is this perception in the community that the Veer isn't as good because it's smaller. This isn't true at all -- I think once people get their hands on these devices this will change. Even Pre 2 people are really pleased with the upgrade
    If you think there is a perception problem on a fansite full of people in the know, what do you think it will be out in the real world of Droids, iPhones, and Evos?

This thread is about HP making a play for the feature phone market. The Veer does not make a case for feature phone customers. They will see it as something like a smartphone, with the disadvantage of being having to do smartphone things on such a tiny screen. It is either a smartphone or a feature phone. It can't be both.

That was the mistake of the Kin.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Personally, I think HP should've made a landscape qwerty Veer, added some amazing messaging software, and sold it as a really good featurephone. Think of it as an iPod touch-like device when you have wifi (web browsing, etc), and a cool texting phone that also happens to have fun games and apps over 3G.
    if it didn't require a $30 data plan, it would be the perfect feature phone.
    That is exactly what Paul T said about the Kin. You are both right.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    If you look at the website Asymco (The certainty of unforeseeable growth: The rise of ZTE and Huawei | asymco), small Chinese companies with cheap Android phones are gobbling up market share at an unbelievable rate. This is where market share is being won, not with the EVOs of the world, but with the bargain bin phones, and market share is what HP most needs right now.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nns View Post
    If you look at the website Asymco (The certainty of unforeseeable growth: The rise of ZTE and Huawei | asymco), small Chinese companies with cheap Android phones are gobbling up market share at an unbelievable rate. This is where market share is being won, not with the EVOs of the world, but with the bargain bin phones, and market share is what HP most needs right now.
    ZTE blade for the win!

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If smartphone averse people have to get a "real" smartphone data plan, and learn a "real" smartphone os, and are exposed to "real" smartphone apps, they just as well get a "real" smartphone. There is no intermediate step.
    Veer is a "real" smartphone in every sense of the word. If your pre is a smartphone so is the veer. the difference is, i believe this has the potential to be successfully marketed to non-smartphone users.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If you think there is a perception problem on a fansite full of people in the know, what do you think it will be out in the real world of Droids, iPhones, and Evos?

This thread is about HP making a play for the feature phone market. The Veer does not make a case for feature phone customers. They will see it as something like a smartphone, with the disadvantage of being having to do smartphone things on such a tiny screen. It is either a smartphone or a feature phone. It can't be both.

That was the mistake of the Kin.
    the mistake of the kin was the pricing.
    the veer isn't trying to be a smartphone. It is a smartphone period. But it has potential to target the dumbphone market because it can be competitively priced without taking a huge hit.
  17.    #17  
    This.

And with a phone priced competitively for the bargain bin, but with the performance of the elite phones, i think HP could have a winner.

I also wouldn't forget the smaller carriers with cheaper data plans. the Crickets of the world. I've been noticing a lot of people lower powered smartphones from those guys. WebOS could shake things up a bit there...
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why do people think the Veer is going to be priced at the bottom of the market? I can't see it.

Here in the UK, competing at the bottom end of the market would mean selling it for $130 off contract. By the middle of the year, it's expected that some players will be releasing $100 android devices. *that's* the bottom of the market and where cheapos are entering and I can't see HP playing in that space.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/20/2011 at 03:53 AM.
    The only winner here is Google/Android; there's no real money to be made when you play in the low-end market.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I love my blade but you should see the build quality of this thing if you open it - the sim slot has been stuck on at at a slight angle...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast