Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    compelling or not. The Veer has zero to do with "Thinking Beyond". It's a cute little phone and can have some appeal, but I was looking forward to some hardware that hinted at the future of webOS, not two phones that are just incremental upgrades to what they already have. I just keep seeing 600->650->700->755. Went through that once with this company. Not doing it again.

Your last statement is correct though because it hasn't happened yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    correction: the hardware isn't compelling to you. Plenty of people walked away from the event intrigued and wanting to know more the Veer. I'm willing to bet that with good marketing, many others will be compelled.

HP needs to think outside of the box
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The Veer has zero to do with "Thinking Beyond". It's a cute little phone and can have some appeal, but I was looking forward to some hardware that hinted at the future of webOS
    Ah... only a few weeks ago, we were looking forward to a phone that would slot into the tablet...
    Now the Pixi would have a better shot at that than the Veer due to it's thin slate nature. Just cut the battery door off and slide in to dock. Over at Android forums I started down the road about having a slave laptop that would have a slot or compartment to take a phone. Unfortunately something like the Veer wouldn't cut it. Not enough HP. Oh the irony. The Atrix is the right idea even if Moto didn't do the best job at convergence. But if you're going to think convergence, at least start with something that has the horses to do it, not something that was new and innovative two years ago. Neither the Pre3 or Veer would be up to that task.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Ah... only a few weeks ago, we were looking forward to a phone that would slot into the tablet...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    True, but the form factor wasn't what was new and appealing about the iPhone. It was the OS, screen size, the smooth UI, the inclusion of a next-gen iPod interface, etc.

Comparatively, the Veer is near identical to a family of handsets that has failed in the market just a number of months prior. Identical in both OS and hardware, except that it's smaller and needs a hardware attachment.

I don't think the feat itself is impossible, but I do think it's rather difficult without any sort of significant change from what had failed before. I don't recalls reviews of the Pixi saying "You know, this would be a world beater if the keyboard was a slider to introduce moving parts that could fail, the form factor was fatter, and we did away with the convenience of having the charging port and headphone port attached..."
    I think its wrong to keep saying the Pre failed as if the form factor isn't desired. It only failed because Palm/HP won't do a slab to take the flagship role.

As a niche phone, i think it would be great. As the lone webOS device or form factor, it's just not sufficient.

Still, imo, if you're shooting for the feature phone market, you make a feature phone. If you can't make one that doesn't require a data plan, then don't do it. I don't really see the need to reach for niche groups without having that one premium phone that would have the most mass appeal (a slab) in place.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/21/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    The Pre was a small cog in a larger machine of failure. The original Pre was over-engineered for aesthetics and had a plethora of issues. Not helpful when you can't market and don't have a lot of cash. When trying to put a wedge into a rather solid market and reestablish one's self, why would you roll out the same tired designs instead of seeing what's driving the industry now and down the road. The answer is these new phones were already designed and HP is doing the best to spin them as new and innovative or however they're trying to push it. I just have a hard time seeing these two phones penetrate the market with any sort of success. I don't think either will pull people away from the latest android & iOS phones and even wp7 (by the time the phones are released). I think the die hard webOS fans will buy into one more round especially those with an original Pre, if they haven't jumped ship already and it even comes to Sprint. I loved my Pixi, but I wanted much stronger internals and equal footing with the flagship phone. I don't want to suffer because I want a smaller form factor. I think the attractiveness of the smaller size if you can run with the big boys without the carrying the big brick.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I think the veer is perfect and is going to be a big seller. No one makes a phone like it or even close to it currently(no win7,android, or iphone).

The biggest complaint I can see is the headphone jack. Otherwise most people would buy the touchstone to charge.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    No one makes a phone like it or even close to it
    Actually SE does or did - they released a phone that was about the size of the Veer but it seems that was too smaller for the consumer so they are now releasing a larger version - I forget the name off-hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by dex4 View Post
    I think the veer is perfect and is going to be a big seller. No one makes a phone like it or even close to it currently(no win7,android, or iphone).

The biggest complaint I can see is the headphone jack. Otherwise most people would buy the touchstone to charge.
    Nothing says "big seller" like "You're going to need to buy this $30 accessory to really use the phone right". Feeds perfectly into the value segment this will be aimed toward.

Let's see which carriers think it will be a big seller and want to jump onboard as soon as possible. Thus far, that's.....
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I loved my Pixi, but I wanted much stronger internals and equal footing with the flagship phone. I don't want to suffer because I want a smaller form factor. I think the attractiveness of the smaller size if you can run with the big boys without the carrying the big brick.
    Well the Veer has the same SoC as the T-MO G2 with the guts of the Pre+ in a smaller form factor. Check on Engadget for two new RIM phones that were leaked in the last couple of days with....2.4" touchscreens and qwerty keyboards. While BB's share is sliding, they are still way out in front and continue to sell devices consistently.

But lets not skirt the true issue. The Veer and HP is all "fail" until Apple unveils their "smaller, compact" iPhone and then the small device segment will be the best thing since wine & cheese and all mfrs will flock to produce smaller phones...

Bloomberg: Apple working on 'cheaper, smaller' and dual-mode iPhones, trying to kill SIMs along the way -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well the Veer has the same SoC as the T-MO G2 with the guts of the Pre+ in a smaller form factor. Check on Engadget for two new RIM phones that were leaked in the last couple of days with....2.4" touchscreens and qwerty keyboards. While BB's share is sliding, they are still way out in front and continue to sell devices consistently.

But lets not skirt the true issue. The Veer and HP is all "fail" until Apple unveils their "smaller, compact" iPhone and then the small device segment will be the best thing since wine & cheese and all mfrs will flock to produce smaller phones...

Bloomberg: Apple working on 'cheaper, smaller' and dual-mode iPhones, trying to kill SIMs along the way -- Engadget
    Even if Apple did so, they already have their main selling phone in the most obvious popular form factor. That's when you can afford to aim at niches though I doubt Apple does this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

I thought they debunked this as Apple stated they just wanted to release a cheaper version and keep the same size.

It would be great if HP would include the touchstone with purchase as the charging back is already incorporated into the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by dex4 View Post
    I thought they debunked this as Apple stated they just wanted to release a cheaper version and keep the same size.

It would be great if HP would include the touchstone with purchase as the charging back is already incorporated into the device.
    They did, thats old news.

NYT: Apple Working on Cheaper, if Not Smaller, iPhone | Digital Media Wire
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    True, but the form factor wasn't what was new and appealing about the iPhone. It was the OS, screen size, the smooth UI, the inclusion of a next-gen iPod interface, etc.

Comparatively, the Veer is near identical to a family of handsets that has failed in the market just a number of months prior. Identical in both OS and hardware, except that it's smaller and needs a hardware attachment.

I don't think the feat itself is impossible, but I do think it's rather difficult without any sort of significant change from what had failed before. I don't recalls reviews of the Pixi saying "You know, this would be a world beater if the keyboard was a slider to introduce moving parts that could fail, the form factor was fatter, and we did away with the convenience of having the charging port and headphone port attached..."
    it wasn't the OS, the UI, or the screensize that failed previous webOS devices. it was poor build quality, bad marketing, and Palm's inability to provide updates as quickly as the competitors.
    it wasn't the OS, the UI, or the screensize that failed previous webOS devices. it was poor build quality, bad marketing, and Palm's inability to provide updates as quickly as the competitors.
    It's a combination of all those things. The Pixi had good build quality, but the OS was too slow for me. It always froze. The UI was plain. There was nothing to look at besides cards and a wallpaper when the cards wasn't blocking it. And the screen size of the Pixi was terrible. So I believe it was a combination of what you said that made previous Webos phones fail.
    That's because the Pixi was unfortunately treated like a second class citizen. It could've been such a great phone if they would've given it better specs. Maybe if they did, the Veer would be a keyboarded slate right now with a proper screen and processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The Pixi had good build quality, but the OS was too slow for me. It always froze. The UI was plain. There was nothing to look at besides cards and a wallpaper when the cards wasn't blocking it. And the screen size of the Pixi was terrible. So I believe it was a combination of what you said that made previous Webos phones fail.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    It's a combination of all those things. The Pixi had good build quality, but the OS was too slow for me. It always froze. The UI was plain. There was nothing to look at besides cards and a wallpaper when the cards wasn't blocking it. And the screen size of the Pixi was terrible. So I believe it was a combination of what you said that made previous Webos phones fail.
    OS slow- hardware. UI a pain- that's a first. Considering the UI hasn't changed since day one, i'll just assume you will never like webOS regardless of the devices that come out. Screen size- there are plenty of smartphones with similar screensizes that sell well.
    He actually said plain, not pain. Can't imagine anyone saying the UI is a pain except when it just bogs down and the OS doesn't keep up with your fingers, which happened quite a bit on the Pixi. My complaint with the Pixi's screen is it's not widescreen. Still sucks for HD video. Granted neither of these two phones will be media demons, but it's the same complaint I have with the ipad. 4:3 went out with the CRT. I can view more of a doc with widescreen in portrait and more media without bars in landscape. I don't get the 4:3 screen in this day and age. Try losing a little bezel and put the proper screen on the phone.
    Disagree.

In terms of quantity, I believe Palm updated WebOS far more times over the first 12 months than Android or Apple did their devices. Now, if we're talking the substance of each update....sure. Most of them were duds, IMO.

As for marketing, that's a red herring. Where the device was marketed just fine (see Bell Canada's Pre commercials on YouTube), it failed there as well. It just never caught traction anywhere, really. And beyond the substance of the marketing, it was rather remarkable that the device was advertised on various carriers for, what, 8 months in the US? (Six months of Sprint and Palm advertising, combined with two months or so of Verizon ads). When was the last time a single device was advertised for that long across carriers?

Similarly, I kept hearing over and over that the Pre Plus fixed many build quality issues, and that's the device that people on the top two carriers in the US got access to. They still didn't buy it.

I think the form factor is a niche at best, and you don't try to establish a new platform by leading with a niche. That's why WP7 launched with a bunch of slabs. That's why Android started with a slide-out keyboard and quickly transitioned to mostly slabs. The Pre form factor - if that's all HP is going to put out in the foreseeable future - is an obstacle, not an asset. As part of a range of form factors and different devices.....maybe.
    So what keeps people from switching to smartphones. "Complexity" and Price. The first one is more of a perceived complexity if you ask me.
    I agree with this completely. My sister didn't want a smartphone. She didn't like my Samsung Exclaim (a dumbphone) because it was too complicated. The phone she landed on? Palm Pixi. A smartphone. She loves it to death, and wants to get a new HP phone if it comes to Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If smartphone averse people have to get a "real" smartphone data plan, and learn a "real" smartphone os, and are exposed to "real" smartphone apps, they just as well get a "real" smartphone. There is no intermediate step.
    Thats not true. My sister used the Pixi as a intermediate step. She didn't want a smartphone -- she hates computers. But love's her Pixi and now because of her Pixi she wants a bigger screen and more powerful smartphone. The Veer could do the same with those people.

Being on ATT, they do have cheap data caps that the Veer could use and non-smartphone users could possibly live with. And since they use to not using a lot of data, it probably won't kill them. I am basing Veer bing on ATT because it is a GSM phone and it can't be on Sprint or Verizon and I don't see it being exclusive to T-Mobile. So it will be on ATT.
    So what keeps people from switching to smartphones. "Complexity" and Price.
    For me, "complexity" wasn't the issue...it was size. I got so used to the small flip phones that I could stick in the front pocket of my jeans I was hesitant to move to a larger phone, which is why I opted for the Pixi. Price was also an issue...I didn't want to sink $150 or $200 bucks (or more) into a device until I felt confident this sort of thing would be truly useful for me. Now I think I'm ready for a larger, more powerful phone...and I'll be willing to pay in that $150 to $200 range.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast