Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Forgive my ignorance, but I don't really understand the technical specifications, CMDA, GSM etc. But, from what I can gather on these Veer threads it sounds as if this phone is the wrong type to come out on Verizon.

If that's true then I'm bummed because the more I think about it the more I think that the Veer would be the better phone to replace my beloved Pixi Plus. Should I not even hope for it on Verizon?
    Verizon is CDMA, but that doesn't mean it works with Verizon. All of those specs are because this is intended to be a phone that works across the world.

For now we should just ignore that stuff, because HP could have a million of these build with Verizon radios in a few weeks if Verizon decided to carry it. If a carrier wants the phone, the factory can crank them out!
    Verizon is CDMA, Veer is GSM only, for the moment. The GSM Veer is the only recent submission from Palm appearing in the FCC database, so there won't be a CDMA version for Sprint or Verizon any time soon.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Verizon is CDMA, but that doesn't mean it works with Verizon. All of those specs are because this is intended to be a phone that works across the world.

For now we should just ignore that stuff, because HP could have a million of these build with Verizon radios in a few weeks if Verizon decided to carry it. If a carrier wants the phone, the factory can crank them out!
    I think you're thinking of the Pre 3. The Veer is GSM only; the Pre 3 is a global phone (CDMA/GSM). The Veer (at least the one we know of today) will only work on AT&T in the U.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I think you're thinking of the Pre 3. The Veer is GSM only; the Pre 3 is a global phone (CDMA/GSM). The Veer (at least the one we know of today) will only work on AT&T in the U.S.
    Yes, the FCC clearance I dug up for webOSroundup showed it only has GSM frequencies (we know that from the Palm site) and that it is AT&T frequencies, NOT T-Mobile USA frequencies.

The Veer will be on AT&T only in the USA, and it looks to also be headed up to Canada.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Thanks for confirming that for me. I want to stay on Verizon so looks like the Veer won't be an option for me. Bummer......
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    Thanks for confirming that for me. I want to stay on Verizon so looks like the Veer won't be an option for me. Bummer......

Bummed here too . I wanted it on "The Now Network" (Sprint).
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    I GUARANTEE that Verizon and Sprint will be getting the Veer, trust me on this. It's not happening before all 3 carriers (Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T) are selling the Pre 3, looks like a fall release for a Verizon and Sprint Veer, I've heard there will be some spec bumps (think Pixi and Pixi Plus, nothing dramatic). HP is going to release webOS smartphones on a more regular basis. I was told "think RIM not Apple".
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I GUARANTEE that Verizon and Sprint will be getting the Veer, trust me on this. It's not happening before all 3 carriers (Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T) are selling the Pre 3, looks like a fall release for a Verizon and Sprint Veer, I've heard there will be some spec bumps (think Pixi and Pixi Plus, nothing dramatic). HP is going to release webOS smartphones on a more regular basis. I was told "think RIM not Apple".
    It would be a disgrace to release a Veer+ or Veer 2 and not something that's an entirely new form factor.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    What makes you think Verizon will get the Veer?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I don't know what HP's plans are. However I will say that the lack of information on carriers, bands, or any specific release information is lame.

I work with a few people that like their Palm phones and really like WebOS, however they a'rent tech geeks like me. Id say at least once a week they ask about when the new hardware is coming and all I can say is...I dunno "Spring" and "Summer" is all they are saying. Then of course the carrier questions come up and again all I can give them are these vague technical references to which antenna chip sets the phones are said to have and what that MIGHT mean for what carrier gets what.

Disappointed "Ohs" and well "that does me no good I'm on this carrier or that carrier" is what I get in reply.

Then it feels like every other day another big name is announcing new hardware thats comes out like yesterday with all the details in toe, and still here we are waiting for HP to get real with this product launch. Its frustrating to me. And no I don't want to hear its just phones/tablets/toys rebutting....because quite frankly, we wouldn't be here if we didn't really care about this technology.

Annnd if its true that they are splitting these phones up, meaning one if GSM only and the rest are something else?.....thats just dumb. Make them multi band, multi carrier or just go home with it already.
    Veerizon. Its perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It would be a disgrace to release a Veer+ or Veer 2 and not something that's an entirely new form factor.
    Who says that a spec bump for the Veer and a slate phone (just say it...) are mutually exclusive? Why is it always a disgrace when palm doesn't completely change everything in their portfolio every couple of months?
    It would be fun if it was still possible to use the Veer on Sprint. Like Sprintifying your Pre 2, only with the Veer.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    It would be fun if it was still possible to use the Veer on Sprint. Like Sprintifying your Pre 2, only with the Veer.
    If the Pre3/Veer used the same comm boards as the Pre/+/2 that would be awesome