Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you'll notice on the products sites, only the Pre 3 has mention of the TTS feature. Also, HP never demonstrated TTS using a Veer at the event, only the Pre 3.

Palm USA | HP Veer Phone | Features, Details
    Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Footnote 8 of the Touchpad page lists the Veer as having the feature.
    here you go find anything else barker:

The Veer is a smartphone announced by HP on February 9, 2011. The device uses webOS, is powered by a Snapdragon processor, and has a 2.6-inch screen.[1] The smartphone is notable for its credit card-sized dimensions (and a depth that is comparable to the size of a deck of cards).[2] The device is seen as the successor in the Palm line-up to the Pixi and earlier Centro models.[3]

The device also supports a new HP Touchstone Touch-to-Share proximity-based sharing feature, which allows compatible devices to instantly exchange data, media, and information (via Bluetooth).[4]

HP Veer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In the coverage on the front page of Precentral they said that the Veer doesn't have the communication coils that the Pre 3 and Touchpad have, but it's possible they got it wrong I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In the coverage on the front page of Precentral they said that the Veer doesn't have the communication coils that the Pre 3 and Touchpad have, but it's possible they got it wrong I guess.
    correct even if you google it, go to the HP website, and the WIKI i supplied it shows it has the same support.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    correct even if you google it, go to the HP website, and the WIKI i supplied it shows it has the same support.
    Well the Wiki is using an article about the Pre 3 as a source that the Veer will have tap to share, so I'm pretty sure that's not proof of anything.

If you check the FCC info you might be able to get a definitive answer though.
    heres more articles stating it has it, also no gyroscope though, and nothing i found states it dosent only that it supports it:

This new Veer does not have a gyroscope but does indeed have an accelerometer and the ability to use HP’s new Touch-to-share functionality. Check out the pictures of the new Veer and let us know what you think.

HP takes webOS to the next level with the Veer, Pre 3 and the TouchPad | WirelessGround.com Blog

Touch to Share” is a feature found on all three of these new devices, which essentially let’s you connect multiple WebOS devices just by laying them on top of each other. For example, all you have to do is drop your phone on top of your tablet to transfer a website.

HP Veer, Pre 3, and TouchPad - Everything You Need to*Know - T3ch H3lp
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Footnote 8 of the Touchpad page lists the Veer as having the feature.
    Good catch, but I wonder if it's a mistake. Still not entirely clear.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I understand it's not mentioned in other places, but I also am not sure what's not entirely clear about this:

"Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account."
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    I understand it's not mentioned in other places, but I also am not sure what's not entirely clear about this:

"Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account."
    The reason I said things still aren't clear because it seems like in many places/demo's they have been very careful about their wording and demonstrations, none of which have included the Veer.

I'm just wondering if this is a mistake by the web team, or if the Veer does in fact support this feature. I've seen no "definitive" indication.
    When asked in his interview why anyone would want a Veer with its small screen, Ruby answered back that it would be a great companion device with the HP Touchpad, obviously referring to the Touch to Share feature.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When asked in his interview why anyone would want a Veer with its small screen, Ruby answered back that it would be a great companion device with the HP Touchpad, obviously referring to the Touch to Share feature.
    Not necessarily. It's possible but still rather opaque. It could just be a great "companion" yet lack of some of the feature of its larger sibling.
    I asked a couple of Palm engineers about that, and they said that the electronics are in the Veer, but the feature won't be in webOS yet when the Veer ships because it is part of what will be updated/shipping with the TouchPad.

They took that to mean that either there would be a webOS update to 2.x for the phones when the TouchPad ships with 3.x, or the phones will be updated to 3.x after the TouchPad ships. It doesn't really matter what the version is called and they didn't dwell on that. The key is that the TTS feature will be added to the Veer, but it will already be in webOS by the time the TouchPad or Pre3 ships. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with the way I tried to explain that...

Unfortunately the electronics aren't built in to the Pre2 so it won't be able to use TTS. However, they didn't say that meant the two devices couldn't be integrated. I would expect that you could still transfer a call from the Pre2 to the TouchPad, even without the TTS feature (but that is a guess).
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I asked a couple of Palm engineers about that, and they said that the electronics are in the Veer, but the feature won't be in webOS yet when the Veer ships because it is part of what will be updated/shipping with the TouchPad.

They took that to mean that either there would be a webOS update to 2.x for the phones when the TouchPad ships with 3.x, or the phones will be updated to 3.x after the TouchPad ships. It doesn't really matter what the version is called and they didn't dwell on that. The key is that the TTS feature will be added to the Veer, but it will already be in webOS by the time the TouchPad or Pre3 ships. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with the way I tried to explain that...

Unfortunately the electronics aren't built in to the Pre2 so it won't be able to use TTS. However, they didn't say that meant the two devices couldn't be integrated. I would expect that you could still transfer a call from the Pre2 to the TouchPad, even without the TTS feature (but that is a guess).
    That makes sense, if true. Does that mean at the 2/9 event the Veer and Pre 3 demo units they had were running different versions of webOS? I wish I had thought to check the OS versions when I was there, but was being rushed in everything I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That makes sense, if true. Does that mean at the 2/9 event the Veer and Pre 3 demo units they had were running different versions of webOS? I wish I had thought to check the OS versions when I was there, but was being rushed in everything I did.
    They were both running the same version of 2.x. I think it was 2.1 but I didn't really drill in to that because it was an unlocked gsm phone and didn't have any carrier-specfic apps, etc.

The key was that the hardware needs to have the TTS wiring now so the feature can be enabled later. I say that because when I was asking about webOS versions and differences, I hadn't figured out how TTS worked yet. I would have asked few more questions if I had understood how it works.

What kept me baffled was that everyone kept taking about "Touchstone TTS" and I couldn't figure out how the Touchstone played any part in it (it doesn't). I'll explain that in another post.

The important thing is to confirm that the Veer has the TTS circuit in it. They said it did, but it's something I want to hear again now that the devices are announced and circulating around Palm.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/13/2011 at 07:49 PM.
    all new webOS devices will have the tap to share im sure
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Seems reasonable since the Veer is closer to shipping.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Not necessarily. It's possible but still rather opaque. It could just be a great "companion" yet lack of some of the feature of its larger sibling.
    As far as I can tell, the TTS function is nothing more than a clever and automated way to pass something back and forth between the two devices. It should be something that can be initiated manually. If that's true, it's possible that the same type of sharing could be done with a Pre2.

If that's the case, it would be the same idea as the way Exhibition appears to work. It activates when it is placed on a touchstone. But Exhibition can be initiated manually (kinda lame but maybe useful when charging via USB) by tapping the launcher icon as shown in this screenshot. In the same way it's reasonable to imagine a TTS icon to initiate the feature. All the "tapping" does is wake up the radio on each device and issue a set of commands. It's essentially a magnetic proximity sensor. The only "automagic" part of TTS is that it uses some sort of magnetic sensing the two devices touching and waking up the process. Here is a screenshot of the icon to manually launch Exhibition (and adjust properties):

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    As far as I can tell, the TTS function is nothing more than a clever and automated way to pass something back and forth between the two devices. It should be something that can be initiated manually. If that's true, it's possible that the same type of sharing could be done with a Pre2.

If that's the case, it would be the same idea as the way Exhibition appears to work. It activates when it is placed on a touchstone. But Exhibition can be initiated manually (kinda lame but maybe useful when charging via USB) by tapping the launcher icon as shown in this screenshot. In the same way it's reasonable to imagine a TTS icon to initiate the feature. All the "tapping" does is wake up the radio on each device and issue a set of commands. It's essentially a magnetic proximity sensor. The only "automagic" part of TTS is that it uses some sort of magnetic sensing the two devices touching and waking up the process. Here is a screenshot of the icon to manually launch Exhibition (and adjust properties):
    Clever. Well said. But possibly both devices would have to be awoken at the same time or something. I'm betting homebrew folks can figure it out even if HP doesn't supply. Since the data is shared over BT, there has to be a way to trigger it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I also hope that it's more than just URLs. I want to be able to share photos, videos, documents (think: business tool), Kindle books, etc. Most of these things should be able to be passed with a link of some sort, if both devices always have access to the same information. It would be a lot less useful if it was only web pages.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast