Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    The way they described it, I am expecting that it will be any app or element that would reasonably be something to pass between devices. I didn't see it specifically as a way to share files but it certainly should be able to do that.

    I saw it more in terms of sharing apps so that you pass control from one device to the other. The demo I remember did this with phone calls and the email app. But in both cases I would see the data already being on both devices (or in the cloud) with a shared user profile. It made sense to have a skype call arrive on the phone, and move to the pad along with the email being discussed by the caller. I could also imagine doing what AT&T likes to show in Uverse ads, which is to continue watching a movie while moving from screen to screen. That makes sense for streaming video, but it wouldn't make sense to push every video I watch on my phone over to the touchad in case I want to do that.

    The same would be true of the TimeInc. or Kindle apps where I'd want to continue reading on the same page on another device.

    I think the more traditional file sharing is going to need some sort of "cloud" interface to be practical. Copying a bunch of songs or photos from one device to the other doesn't seem practical, but accessing them from each device without really knowing/caring where they are because they are both getting them from cloud storage... I really haven't wrapped my head around that yet because I'm still locked into the paradigm of wanting to push them off to my PC for editing and backup. The use cases that have us sharing them within apps makes obvious sense. Copying them to a PC or other device implies the addition of a file management framework that would allow access to the file system from within a browser for uploading, and from within a file manager for copying to a PC. I haven't heard anything about that sort of complexity. Before they build something like that, I want them to create desktop sync of my PIM data... which is the first place they can leverage running a webOS app on a PC.

    Ps, I haven't seen it mentioned much but this entire line of thinking requires that both devices operate on the same Palm Profile so that the app and account settings can exist on both devices. This is awesome on many levels. I just hope they will extend this between two phones and not just between one phone and one tablet... And eventually enable TTS between my phone and someone else's TouchPad.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This is awesome on many levels. I just hope they will extend this between two phones and not just between one phone and one tablet... And eventually enable TTS between my phone and someone else's TouchPad.
    Sending my contact info to another person's device (like beaming did) would be nice as well at some point if I ever see anyone else with a Pre.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Sending my contact info to another person's device (like beaming did) would be nice as well at some point if I ever see anyone else with a Pre.
    I also wonder why HP didn't enable it a little more...

    If the two webOS phones are on a different Palm profile (determining that they are not owned by the same person), then default to share virtual business cards. Imagine that when you do this, your contact info pops up on your screen as a new card, which slides out of your screen into the recipient's screen.

    Also, build a "touch point" on all future HP printers. Place your webOS device there and it automatically starts printing whatever's on your screen.

    If done right, they could build this touch-to-share feature into RFID on steroids. If you get enough people exchanging business cards with webOS phones on the streets, you'll get free exposure/advertisement of how cool this is over other products on the market. Just start by asking all HP employees to set up business cards ready to share on their webOS phones.
  4. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #24  
    There are a lot of potential applications to this technology, and I am sure we will see many of them that come out over the next year. The big issues that many people are more focused on right now would be just being able to run the apps that come out for WebOS 2 and 3 on existing devices. If our current WebOS 1.4.x phones can get the upgrade to WebOS 2 in some way, shape, or form, that will enable our existing devices to be able to take advantage of many of these new technologies, and will get more interest from existing owners.

    As it stands now, my interest in my own phone is at an all time low due to feeling like nothing I buy now will apply to my next phone purchase, which would be a Pre 3 or 4.



    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    I also wonder why HP didn't enable it a little more...

    If the two webOS phones are on a different Palm profile (determining that they are not owned by the same person), then default to share virtual business cards. Imagine that when you do this, your contact info pops up on your screen as a new card, which slides out of your screen into the recipient's screen.

    Also, build a "touch point" on all future HP printers. Place your webOS device there and it automatically starts printing whatever's on your screen.

    If done right, they could build this touch-to-share feature into RFID on steroids. If you get enough people exchanging business cards with webOS phones on the streets, you'll get free exposure/advertisement of how cool this is over other products on the market. Just start by asking all HP employees to set up business cards ready to share on their webOS phones.
  5. #25  
    I'm wondering if one of the mods can change the title of the thread, since it's clearly misleading.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm wondering if one of the mods can change the title of the thread, since it's clearly misleading.
    It'd be mis-leading without the question mark. The question mark clearly indicates it is a question.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I asked a couple of Palm engineers about that, and they said that the electronics are in the Veer, but the feature won't be in webOS yet when the Veer ships because it is part of what will be updated/shipping with the TouchPad....

    Unfortunately the electronics aren't built in to the Pre2 so it won't be able to use TTS. However, they didn't say that meant the two devices couldn't be integrated. I would expect that you could still transfer a call from the Pre2 to the TouchPad, even without the TTS feature (but that is a guess).
    Thanks for clearing that up. It just doesn't make sense for the Veer not to have this new feature. I wonder what our homebrew developers can come up with for the Pre 2...
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It'd be mis-leading without the question mark. The question mark clearly indicates it is a question.
    Except it's not a question. HP's website ( TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC ) clearly states:

    8. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
    I realize you dismissed that as a possible "mistake", but other than your dismissal, there's no reason to believe it is.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except it's not a question. HP's website ( TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC ) clearly states:



    I realize you dismissed that as a possible "mistake", but other than your dismissal, there's no reason to believe it is.
    Things are still unclear. For example: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...uire-pre3.html

    This thread remains relevant until there's official word (not a disclaimer at the bottom of the product page that may or may not be true) directly from HP.

    It seems like HP has been tippy-toeing around with their wording on this feature. Here's to hoping they make things a little more clear in the near future.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Things are still unclear. For example: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...uire-pre3.html

    This thread remains relevant until there's official word (not a disclaimer at the bottom of the product page that may or may not be true) directly from HP.

    It seems like HP has been tippy-toeing around with their wording on this feature. Here's to hoping they make things a little more clear in the near future.
    It only seems that they're "tippy-toeing" because you choose to categorize it that way. You have a website that is from HP, and you counter with a PreCentral post from a user.

    HP has said on their website that this works with Veer. They said so just as clearly as the promise of 2.0 to all devices that so many have whined about that was offered at a developer's event.

    The attempt at parsing what they've said is laughable.
  11. #31  
    **Please take it easy guys... These are just phones. No need to get heated about it all
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    **Please take it easy guys... These are just phones. No need to get heated about it all
    Not heated, just persistent.

    I don't see how havnig a web site that specifically says this feature requires a Veer or Pre 3, and the OS versions that work, is tippy-toeing.
  13. #33  
    <<thread cleaned>>

    Guys this thread is about the Veer having (or not having) the Touch-To-Share feature... not about what other platforms/phones may or may not have something too. Please stay on topic or post in cross-platform.
  14. #34  
    Endgadget also stated the Veer had this feature, and cited HP as their source:

    HP Touchstone Touch-to-share lets devices swap URLs, 'Exhibition' mode added for phones -- Engadget

    HP has enabled its three new webOS devices (The TouchPad, Veer, and Pre 3) to communicate over Touchstone using "Touch-to-share" tech
    So, one source from HP, one source that says they got their information from HP. Looks like most of the confusion is on this thread, not "out there".
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It only seems that they're "tippy-toeing" because you choose to categorize it that way. You have a website that is from HP, and you counter with a PreCentral post from a user.

    HP has said on their website that this works with Veer. They said so just as clearly as the promise of 2.0 to all devices that so many have whined about that was offered at a developer's event.

    The attempt at parsing what they've said is laughable.
    They have also clearly called out this feature on the Pre3 page - and not mentioned it at all on the Veer pages...

    Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details
    Scroll down to "Better Together".

    They also demonstrated with the Pre3 and not the Veer - and made no mention of the Veer in that demo.

    The point is one line on a website is not sufficient to bank on. I think HP needs to clarify this so that potential buyers have clarity - right now they could be buying a phone based on a "promise" that isn't true beause of a simple typing mistake or even a change in plans that the website html wasn't updated for.

    Personally I believe this feature is included but I wouldn't want to bank on it with a 22 month contract or a purchase of an unlocked device until that was cleared up a bit more.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    They have also clearly called out this feature on the Pre3 page - and not mentioned it at all on the Veer pages...

    Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details
    Scroll down to "Better Together".

    They also demonstrated with the Pre3 and not the Veer - and made no mention of the Veer in that demo.

    The point is one line on a website is not sufficient to bank on. I think HP needs to clarify this so that potential buyers have clarity - right now they could be buying a phone based on a "promise" that isn't true beause of a simple typing mistake or even a change in plans that the website html wasn't updated for.

    Personally I believe this feature is included but I wouldn't want to bank on it with a 22 month contract or a purchase of an unlocked device until that was cleared up a bit more.
    The Veer and Pre 3 will support Touch to Share.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  17. #37  
    FWIW (and maybe already stated), according to the TouchPad overview page on hp.com it definitely has the TTS ability but is OS Version depedent:

    TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC

    Specifically see foot note #8 on the page

    "8. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection."
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The Veer and Pre 3 will support Touch to Share.
    Excellent. Now can you update the website pages for the Veer to show that? The confusion came from the fact that it wasn't called out there directly.

    Do you know if the OS image planned to ship with the Veer will have the feature of if this will be a later upgrade?
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulliedog View Post
    FWIW (and maybe already stated), according to the TouchPad overview page on hp.com it definitely has the TTS ability but is OS Version depedent:

    TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC

    Specifically see foot note #8 on the page

    "8. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection."
    Right, but there are other features that neglect the Veer that make you scratch your head wondering what the difference is. For example:



    Apparently, you can only use the Pre 3 to answer calls and send/receive text messages on your TouchPad. No indication of the Veer whatsoever in regards to that feature. I find it difficult to believe that this feature would be lacking and Touch-To-Share would be included, or vice-versa. Not one without the other.

  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    ...
    The point is one line on a website is not sufficient to bank on. I think HP needs to clarify this so that potential buyers have clarity - right now they could be buying a phone based on a "promise" that isn't true beause of a simple typing mistake or even a change in plans that the website html wasn't updated for....
    No they couldn't, it's not available "right now". Which brings me to the point I've been trying to make.

    Yet another thread to bash how bad HP is. There's no real hint that this is not going to happen on a Veer. It's stated on HP's website that it does. Not only that, in the TouchTablet video, they clearly state that it's a BT technology, and both devices (from HP's spec sheets) show the exact same wording on their BT capabilities:
    Bluetooth® wireless technology 2.1 + EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support
    This thread is just meant to spread more FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions