Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I found this post VERY interesting.

    Bloomberg: Apple working on 'cheaper, smaller' and dual-mode iPhones, trying to kill SIMs along the way -- Engadget

    Basically apple using iP4 parts to build a *smaller* mid-rang smartphone to attack that "fat middle" of 70% feature phone users. Wow.

    Combine this with the iterative iPad2 and iP5 upgrades and HP is right in the red zone poised for a TD.
  2. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #2  
    Without any concrete release date, it seems more like HP is still at about the 50, and hoping that their Hail Mary will make it to their fastest receiver. Lots of room to avoid the endzone here.
  3. #4  
    Obviously HP has a plan, I'm not sure why people were whining about the smaller sized Veer. I think it is a fantastic idea, it's just like the Pixi except waaayy freakin better.

    But now Apple is doing it, everyone will said it's the best idea since sliced bread (I mean the iPhone).

    Good job HP, I think you're doing great, plan for the Future not the Now.
    Sprint Love
  4. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Obviously HP has a plan, I'm not sure why people were whining about the smaller sized Veer. I think it is a fantastic idea, it's just like the Pixi except waaayy freakin better.

    But now Apple is doing it, everyone will said it's the best idea since sliced bread (I mean the iPhone).

    Good job HP, I think you're doing great, plan for the Future not the Now.
    +1

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I found this post VERY interesting.

    Bloomberg: Apple working on 'cheaper, smaller' and dual-mode iPhones, trying to kill SIMs along the way -- Engadget

    Basically apple using iP4 parts to build a *smaller* mid-rang smartphone to attack that "fat middle" of 70% feature phone users. Wow.

    Combine this with the iterative iPad2 and iP5 upgrades and HP is right in the red zone poised for a TD.
    Either Ruby made the right call, or Ruby and Jobs made the wrong call. only time will tell
  6. #7  
    I'm not sure why Apple would feel they need to head off the midrange. They already have a cheat handset for the mid-range, it's called last years model. And though I doubt they'll sell the iPhone 4 for 99 dollars like they do with the 3GS when the iPhone 5 comes out, they don't really need to switch that out, as it's spec wise still a decent phone.

    BUT who knows, sometimes Apple likes to cover more ground, but most of the time they like to be top of the line. I don't know why Apple would be alright with creating a "Midrange" phone. Seems very unlike them.
  7. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    +1

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    why the +1

    If the new smaller iPhone comes in at 50 bucks I would agreee

    but do you think HP will sell the veer for 50? 100? anything over 50 is too much for the market they are targeting. I think the veer will come in at 150 which is 100 too much
  8. #9  
    How did Ruby make this call? Smaller phones are all over the place now, check out all the lower end Android phones. Sure, he may have the smallest, but having the smallest is not necessarily something I would brag about. ;-)
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketh View Post
    I'm not sure why Apple would feel they need to head off the midrange. They already have a cheat handset for the mid-range, it's called last years model. And though I doubt they'll sell the iPhone 4 for 99 dollars like they do with the 3GS when the iPhone 5 comes out, they don't really need to switch that out, as it's spec wise still a decent phone.

    BUT who knows, sometimes Apple likes to cover more ground, but most of the time they like to be top of the line. I don't know why Apple would be alright with creating a "Midrange" phone. Seems very unlike them.
    Perhaps because Android is eating their lunch at both ends of the spectrum? Android has "iPhone killing" super phones and they have non-super phone higher end devices, and then mid range devices. The percentages keep breaking away for Android in marketshare and iOS is starting the decline after flatlining for a bit.

    My whole point for the thread was that people are Slamming Ruby for the Veer and "lord Jobs" is calling the same play....so is Jobs not the "super-duper-incredible-ultra-gadget mind" of the last decade?? If so and Ruby called the play first....
  10. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #11  
    Apple is trying to protect it's flanks with a lower end phone. HP/Palm is sitting in a row boat around 6 months from the enemy beachhead. Completely different.

    I have no idea why HP came out with the Veer. They seem to be under the illusion that they have a flank to protect.

    Now a bigger and better Pixi would provide HP with differentiation to attack some beachhead.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    How did Ruby make this call? Smaller phones are all over the place now, check out all the lower end Android phones. Sure, he may have the smallest, but having the smallest is not necessarily something I would brag about. ;-)
    yea, he made the call with the pixie, and the pre. Palm made it before that with the centro. Palm knows who they are targeting, they're just having "technical difficulties."

    Also, I disagree about the price points, I think 150, or possibly but unlikely 129.99 would be a much better price point, except unlocked. (it's possible the pre cost 150 to make, this is obviously less. also, look at the LG Optimus V).
  12. #13  
    after initial launch there will be another device every 2 months so we will see all kinds of diff. form factors . just sayin!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    after initial launch there will be another device every 2 months so we will see all kinds of diff. form factors . just sayin!
    and webos 2.0 will come to the old devices, and new ones will release after weeks not months of announcements.

    - might happen, but don't hold your breath. (I'm saying this, mainly because 2 months is a long time to hold your breath for)

Posting Permissions