Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Am I the only one here that was hoping for essentially a new Pixi form factor phone? I dont see the point of having a phone that is, when you think about it, just the pre scaled down in all dimensions.

I'd much prefer the blackberry/pixi/centro style with the small(ish) screen and a permanent, non sliding keyboard.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookd2 View Post
    Am I the only one here that was hoping for essentially a new Pixi form factor phone? I dont see the point of having a phone that is, when you think about it, just the pre scaled down in all dimensions.

I'd much prefer the blackberry/pixi/centro style with the small(ish) screen and a permanent, non sliding keyboard.

great question. no good answer to this. but even the veer form factor would work for me if it had standard inputs. this is a huge blunder IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    great question. no good answer to this. but even the veer form factor would work for me if it had standard inputs. this is a huge blunder IMHO
    It does have standard inputs, you just have to use the magnetic thingies.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Veer is infinitely more pocketable than the Pixi; not just the size but duraiblity (no exposed keys or flimsy screen, no flimsy USB port cover, no headphone jack to clog with pocket lint).
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    Veer is infinitely more pocketable than the Pixi; not just the size but duraiblity (no exposed keys or flimsy screen, no flimsy USB port cover, no headphone jack to clog with pocket lint).
    The Veer is 50% thicker than the Pixi. The lenght of the Pixi is not a problem for most of my pockets. The Veer will bulge out more.

Veer Dimensions
    Width: 54.5mm (2.15 inches)
    Height: 84.0mm (3.31 inches)
    Thickness: 15.1mm (0.59 inches)

Pixi Dimensions
    Width: 55.0mm (2.17 inches)
    Height: 111.0mm (4.37 inches)
    Thickness: 10.85mm (0.43 inches)

HP could have added glass to the Pixi but so far, it has not been an issue for me. Pixi has USB and headphone jack built in, not in some adapter somewhere.
    That's funny, cause the pixi was infinitely more durable then the pre, with its exposed keys and all.

and yes i will miss the pixi (non-moving parts) form factor. more moving parts mean more things break.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    I liked the pixi because of its simple elegance and ultra slim profile. The pre always seemed too chubby for my taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    The Veer is 50% thicker than the Pixi. The lenght of the Pixi is not a problem for most of my pockets. The Veer will bulge out more.

Veer Dimensions
    Width: 54.5mm (2.15 inches)
    Height: 84.0mm (3.31 inches)
    Thickness: 15.1mm (0.59 inches)

Pixi Dimensions
    Width: 55.0mm (2.17 inches)
    Height: 111.0mm (4.37 inches)
    Thickness: 10.85mm (0.43 inches)

HP could have added glass to the Pixi but so far, it has not been an issue for me. Pixi has USB and headphone jack built in, not in some adapter somewhere.
    I don't think that thickness matters, as far as pocketaiblity goes. My Pre- slides in and out real nice with the pebble shape (its just a big big and heavy). And the detached usb/headset adapter actually amkes the Veer more pocketable. Just leave it attached to the 35.mm female end of your headset, and your Veer won't have a hole to collect dust that will ruin the adapter.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the Pixi! I posted somewhere in the speculation threads that I'd just be happy with a Pixi that has a 1GHz processor. I still believe that! But the Veer is more pocketable.
    If they're REALLY looking to spread a family of products around, I dont think these two phones will be the only ones we see for a while.

I honestly believe they'll be releasing more phones sooner than you might think. Or at least announcing them.
    if you count the pre 2 as a new release they really just released the same phone in 3 different sizes which is kind of dumb if you ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    That's funny, cause the pixi was infinitely more durable then the pre, with its exposed keys and all.

and yes i will miss the pixi (non-moving parts) form factor. more moving parts mean more things break.
    Actually the Pre Plus is pretty durable, I'd say it's been about as durable as both the Pixi and Pixi Plus. The original Pre is such a terrible thing to try to compare durability to since it's manufacturing quality was so terrible.

As for the topic, who knows what they'll do with the Pixi line. We'll just have to wait and see and people can voice their opinions on keeping the line to HP.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I was a little surprised. The Pixi is a nice phone and would really complement a tablet. Being able to pull out the phone and use it without a slider was a hige improvement for me when I upgraded from the Pre to the Pixi Plus. Maybe I'm not in the target demographic, but sliders make me think of adolescents who are continually pulling out their cheapp phones to text under the table.

The Pixi form factor is just perfect for webOS with Just Type, Synergy messaging, etc. Besides who wants a thick phone. When I heard about the new credit card sized webOS phone I was really excited -- and then I saw a picture of this thing that looks almost as thick as it is wide.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Agree with many of the above, thinness>>height. The veer basically cuts off the pixi keyboard and slabs it on the back. Their screens are the same size I believe. No problem at all with pixi durability, although glass and no crappy magnet flap would be nice.

I really wanted HP to come out with a pixi profile phone, but a smidge wider and taller to accomadate a larger screen, and maybe even slimmer (why not beat the iphone in thickness). And add send/end keys into the sides of the gesture area, seriously miss being able to press end call without fumbling with the touch screen(especially while driving).

As is, the pre3 is the same thickness at the veer, so I wouldn't even consider the veer. Too me they would be practically equally pocketable, but both thicker than I prefer (<1/2" is the sweet spot for me).
    nothing wrong with the pixi candybar form factor...just change the name...
    Pixi failed because of bad performance. If it had faster cpu and more ram it would be better than Pre. Pixi with 1GHz cpu and 512MB RAM would be an killer. It would sell more than Pre to a business users. Killing Pixi is a biggest mistake HP has done, they should only put some power in it.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    It's a shame really, a pixi with the Pre 3's specs and that same gorgeous keyboard wouldve been amazing, having the keyboard always there really work well with the whole just type thing.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Have to agree with these comments, with the Pixi form and Pre3 specs, it would have been the business phone for the future and could have brought back the Treo name. If they would bring out multiple form factors, it would really make a market impact...why they are only staying with the one that wasn't successful in the past is beyond me.
    Who said that they got rid of it? There's more to come, people.
    If they have something in the works they should have given us a peak since they already broke the available in weeks after announcement deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Who said that they got rid of it? There's more to come, people.
    well can you buy it anywhere now?

i would have been happier with a super beefed up and named changed Pixi rather than the Veer...sorta like an HP version of the bb Bold...And this would have been an easily doable and sensible thing to have unveiled on feb 9th...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast