Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    You would have a point there except people arent exactly gravitating to Vertical sliders either...
    Did HPalm actually say they have ditched the candybar design? More devices to come... What made the Pre a far more popular choice wasn't the design but was that the Pre was a much stronger performer with such a close pricetag to the Pixi.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Well thats another thing, I never really understood why they decided to neuter the Pixi in the first place...
    Next month is technically spring... if the Veer is available before the end of march, they barely told the truth with "in the coming weeks"

*fingers crossed*
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Name a device with a fixed keyboard and a small screen that is gaining in popularity. It's just not something that new smartphone buyers are gravitating to.
    Blackberry's have always been a very popular form factor, its their operating system that needs an update.
    I think a slab-ish phone will come from HP eventually. A LOT of people prefer that form factor, so I think HP would be foolish not to have one. I love the Pixi, and the powerful Veer sounds great, but I agree with the general shape comments here: thinner is better than shorter.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    While I'm not interested in the pixie form factor personally, I more than understand why it's a popular one. Except I think you might need 2 of those phones. Something like the pixi, and something a little larger, more like a treo. One can have the internals of the veer, and be really small. The other can have the internals of a pre 3, but larger, and slightly thicker to make room for improved internals.

Then also release a 4 inch, and a vertical slider to please everyone.

(i'm fairly certain we will see 3/4 of those new ones in the next 14 months)
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    While I'm not interested in the pixie form factor personally, I more than understand why it's a popular one. Except I think you might need 2 of those phones. Something like the pixi, and something a little larger, more like a treo. One can have the internals of the veer, and be really small. The other can have the internals of a pre 3, but larger, and slightly thicker to make room for improved internals.

Then also release a 4 inch, and a vertical slider to please everyone.

(i'm fairly certain we will see 3/4 of those new ones in the next 14 months)

I certainly hope so. I know that Motorola created the Droid Pro, which looks very similar to the Pixi's small style. And I just learned that Samsung may also be coming out with a similar form factor.

I would buy either of the Pixi or Treo form factors again. Left with no choice, I would not get a Veer but maybe a Pre 3, or look at Android again. I dislike the BB OS myself too much to consider one of those.
    I was perfectly happy with my Pre Plus but I was beginning to experience some of the hardware issues that have been so well documented on this site. I wanted to make sure I had a back-up to get me through the remainder up my contract - 10 months - so I picked up a Pixi Plus that was advertised on Daily Steals a few weeks ago.

I just activated the Pixi Plus and I love form factor. I know a lot has been made of it being underpowered but for what I need - voice, text, email, light web browsing and Pandora/podcasts/mp3s - I don't anticipate that being much of an issue.
    I think this thread is on target. I just got one of the $60 Pixie+ units for my daughter and activated it. The keyboard on the thing is amazing. If it just had a little more power it would be great. I still love my Pre+, but the Pixi was not bad.

I still know guys who are using the Treo 755 because they like the physical keyboard, and we all know how well the Centro sold. Even with a smaller screen Palm sold a ton of those things. I had one for 2yrs and it looks almost new even now.

I think HP/Palm should have a Pixi style candybar phone with a physical keyboard. But change the name, the sound of the name Pixi is a put off to some people. If they could get Verizon to do something about the $30 data plan price that might help also.
    whoever decided to call it the pixi should be shot
    I wanted to see Pixi 2. Maybe in the future. WebOS is here to stay so long as HP wants an ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by edwina View Post
    I wanted to see Pixi 2. Maybe in the future. WebOS is here to stay so long as HP wants an ecosystem.
    they HAVE to change the name. Bring back the treo name, palm has 2 valuable names, treo, and palm pilot, but they got sued for the second one, so let's ignore it.

The could combine it with the pre, and make Preo, and Preo light ?
    A Veer in Pixi clothing would a great. A small powerful phone with candy bar form factor. I would buy that phone as my day to day personal phone. But there is no doubt that I'll use the Pre 3 as my business phone.

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chilin View Post
    Blackberry's have always been a very popular form factor, its their operating system that needs an update.
    Agreed. The Bold form factor is very tried and true. Technology advances allow the thickness to be reduced. This really is perfect for folks that want to do a lot of messaging -- email, SMS, IM, etc.

I personally feel that even the bigger slab phones are just too small to do much web browsing. Maybe it is because I'm either around WIFI or have my hotspot most of the time and can use a laptop. I even got an iPod Touch to complement my Pixi Plus and found that even the bigger display and resolution did not help all that much. I am really looking forward to about a 7" webOS tablet. I really think everybody is different though. I have a 15" MacBook Pro laptop, and I feel that a thin Bold form factor phone and 7" tablet would round out my needs.

It is also a very good form factor for people that want to take longer notes or even do outlines. That is one pet peeve I have with the newer phones. That is one area where the old Treos were much better than the current webOS or iOS solutions. Outliners just suck on these touch interfaces. Without the stylus you really do need some kind of precise curser control.
    Last edited by miata; 02/14/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by chilin View Post
    Indeed. If the Motorola Charm had come to Sprint, I might not have a Pixi right now. There will always be demand for a bar/keyboard phone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I can't take this review site below seriously with the following statement. Do they not realize the Pixi was out a year earlier?

Motorola DROID Pro Review | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    "Motorola’s DROID Pro is the first vertically-oriented candybar device with a QWERTY keyboard that we have reviewed, and at first glance, we have to admit that it does look a tad strange. However, once you pick up the phone and start using it, the entire handset makes sense. The Android OS that the DROID Pro runs would be more or less useless for most people if the screen wasn’t vertical, and with the full QWERTY keyboard nestled below it, the entire design makes sense."
    HPalm lets another take the credit for an innovation they had all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Name a device with a fixed keyboard and a small screen that is gaining in popularity. It's just not something that new smartphone buyers are gravitating to.
    The newly-announced HTC Cha Cha.

HTC Salsa and Chacha bring the dedicated Facebook button to Android -- Engadget

Hasn't been released yet, but with the dedicated FB key, I bet it does well. Heck, it has directional arrows on it, which is the thing I miss the most on my Pixi. I want one. But not bad enough to downgrade my service to AT&T's level.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    I can't take this review site below seriously with the following statement. Do they not realize the Pixi was out a year earlier?

Motorola DROID Pro Review | BGR | Boy Genius Report

HPalm lets another take the credit for an innovation they had all along.
    Well, it does say it's the first they've REVIEWED. Maybe they didn't review the Pixi?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Well, it does say it's the first they've REVIEWED. Maybe they didn't review the Pixi?
    And that is fine. I just question if they first review a QWERTY candybar in 2010 with the Droid Pro, then how serious are these guys with comprehensive reviews. However, I point out how they say the design "makes sense" even to newbies to the design. The design is utilitarian and works. It's not about flash or getting people to look over your shoulder to see your device slide open even though they won't buy it themselves.
    Last edited by libray; 02/16/2011 at 07:42 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast