Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Ruby spoke about there being a segment that wanted this phone. I must believe him because I have not done the research, but from what I see, there are many little smartphones that have been failures. (HTC Aria, Palm Pixi, Etc) The only smartphones that were smaller and successful are were like the Palm Centro and Blackberry Pearl.

BUT

I think I know why those smaller phones were successful. In the early 2000's smartphones were for business geeks or nerds. They were slow and painstakingly difficult to maneuver. When the Centro and the Pearl came out, they were the forerunners of the "cool" smartphone. Before this time you didn't a nice media player, video etc. Now every phone that sells is a smartphone. When was the last time you saw an incredible build quality feature phone come out on the market? Razor 2? It is because there is a demand for smartphones, not feature phones."

HP/Palm..... Prove me wrong! I want to see the Veer succeed.
    This forum is as bad a place to ask as any, because it's full of the one demographic that's only asking for even more, even quicker, and now: tech geeks.

Meanwhile, my Girlfriend will probably replace her Pixi with a Veer and a non-geeky friend of mine (actually male) wants one because it's a full smartphone, but really tiny and neat.

That said: it's not gonna outsell the iPhone, or all Android devices combined. But I can easily see it outsell single devices in the lower Android midfield if there is any marketing - HP's problem is that relatively few people know webOS, and that they don't have the devices to market NOW. The devices presented yesterday are all desirable in their particular niches.

As for what niches HP chose to cover yesterday, I do think we'll see a couple new form factors over the course of the year
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    @GSH

Good points. Strangely if there was a way to get this into the hands of kids without a data plan but only wifi, It would rock the socks off of any competitor.
    I think we all know enough people to have a general idea of the smartphone market and the big rub with these phones is always this:

NOBODY WANTS A SMALL SMARTPHONE BECAUSE OF THE INSANE DATA PRICES!!

So, if you can somehow get a deal with a carrier that would allow the phone to be bundled with a lesser price plan and maybe even limited data, it would be a hit. My wife would want this if she didn't have to pay out the wazoo for data. Heck, I would recommend it to everyone I know who is scared of a smartphone if it had a cheap plan behind it.

Without that, I don't see the point.
    I have my pixi with 200mb @ att for an extra $15 a month. I use about 20-30mb a month because i'm within wifi most of the time. I'd take this phone in a heartbeat, so I guess I'm part of the segment that wants this phone. Would I take a pre3, absolutely, but when I look at a pre, vs my pixi, I love the size of the pixi. Fits great in my pocket!
    Proof?
    How do we know the device exists?
    How do we know the units that were shown off weren't Photoshopped cardboard cutouts?
    How do we know that HP didn't pay off everyone at the event to gush about these 'new' devices?
    Yeah, trust gone.
    Are you referring to the same guy who said the Pre2 is for people who "want a slightly smaller phone [than the Pre3]"?

I'm with the OP. Who, after seeing the original Pre, said to themselves, "That's nice. I just wish it was smaller"? This person would want a screen too small to use for reading web pages, email, content-rich apps, etc. They also are so obsessed with smallness, they prefer it not to come with a headphone jack. Dongles are so much better.

They don't want any of the benefits of a smartphone, but want to pay for a smartphone data plan to use it. Oh, they also want it to be so small, it will look funny and feel awkward when held up to the ear to make a call.

Come to think of it, I do know who the buyer is. It is the same person who thought the Kin was a good idea.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Didn't the Centro have OK sales? I could see someone who liked a Centro liking the Veer...
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    Didn't the Centro have OK sales? I could see someone who liked a Centro liking the Veer...
    Sure, but this is not the time to go after OK sales. They need to focus on producing something competitive, not something nostalgic.
    how much trust does one actually lose in 5 months??
    or are we just jumping on the anti-trust bandwagon because everyone else is doing it?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Sure, but this is not the time to go after OK sales. They need to focus on producing something competitive, not something nostalgic.
    I can agree with that. I guess I'm just willing to give HP a minute to come up with their "own" stuff. I feel like this is still Palm's stuff that is being pushed and HP buying Palm delayed this stuff even further than it already was. I don't think this first line of products will kill webOS, but the set after this will be do or die. I don't want a slab, but the most annoying ranters around here do have a point that the most popular phones out there are slabs, and HP should cater to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    This forum is as bad a place to ask as any, because it's full of the one demographic that's only asking for even more, even quicker, and now: tech geeks.

Meanwhile, my Girlfriend will probably replace her Pixi with a Veer and a non-geeky friend of mine (actually male) wants one because it's a full smartphone, but really tiny and neat.

That said: it's not gonna outsell the iPhone, or all Android devices combined. But I can easily see it outsell single devices in the lower Android minefield if there is any marketing - HP's problem is that relatively few people know webOS, and that they don't have the devices to market NOW. The devices presented yesterday are all desirable in their particular niches.

As for what niches HP chose to cover yesterday, I do think we'll see a couple new form factors over the course of the year
    I fixed one part of that post LOL. Now on to other things. People don't need to know about webos at all. They just need to know what the phone can do for them and why they need it. Considering the airways are flooded with "Droid Does" and little green robots, it may be better to go the other route like Apple and not mention the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    I have my pixi with 200mb @ att for an extra $15 a month. I use about 20-30mb a month because i'm within wifi most of the time. I'd take this phone in a heartbeat, so I guess I'm part of the segment that wants this phone. Would I take a pre3, absolutely, but when I look at a pre, vs my pixi, I love the size of the pixi. Fits great in my pocket!
    Perhaps this is why the Veer is coming out on AT&T--cheaper data.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer