Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think the Veer was meant to be your main player, or at least not everyone's main player. However, since it has more memory than the Pixi, seems like you'd appreciate that at least it's an improvement in that area.
    Didn't the Pixi/Pixi+ also have 8GB of storage? I honestly don't remember and am too lazy to look it up.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I mostly use my phone for Podcast and not for my music. I got two Touchstones and got a Sony Ericsson MW600 for bluetooth. No problems for me on getting a HP Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Didn't the Pixi/Pixi+ also have 8GB of storage? I honestly don't remember and am too lazy to look it up.
    You are correct. The Veer doesn't have any more storage than the Pixi.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Yep. Same with the Pre-
    Al I know is my nephews Pixi Plus has 8GB. Don't know what the other Pixi had. The Pre has 8GB and the Pre Plus has 16GB.
    gee. thanks for determining what my needs are. you should advertise your keen services to others and save them the trouble of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    So, if you did get the Veer, you'd still have a Zen and a Clip you could use for music, a Nook Color for browsing, and an Epic for movies, but no BT headphones because keeping those charged along with everything else you own would be a pain, and because they don't sound as good, when we're talking about MP3s and streaming audio.

Yeah, clearly the Veer is not for you.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    yep, and those phones are how old? Everything about the Veer screams incremental if that over it's better form factored predecessor.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyLK View Post
    Al I know is my nephews Pixi Plus has 8GB. Don't know what the other Pixi had. The Pre has 8GB and the Pre Plus has 16GB.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    Except long time treo-pixi owners who have no upgrade path now have to go elsewhere.
    I don't get it. The Pixi wasn't really an upgrade path from the Treo, except in name. The Pre 3, though larger than the Pixi, will be smaller than the Treo was. Closed, the Pre 3 will actually be smaller (though definitely thicker) than the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    gee. thanks for determining what my needs are. you should advertise your keen services to others and save them the trouble of thinking.
    Sorry...not laughing at Syndil...but that had me laughing so hard my eyes teared up.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I already do! And don't thank me till you see the bill.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Then your entire library came from CDs that you ripped, and I can respect that. And you probably went back and re-ripped from original CDs when loss-less codecs appeared, and when they were updated... But, iTunes sells more music than any other source. And many people have collected music from music sharing sites by the ton, which is why the RIAA keeps suing people and stomping on sites like Napster... so I'll bet that 99% of the people that listen to mp3 players are listening to 128kb mp3, and more recently 128kb aac - which is about 50% better than mp3 at the same bit-rate.

I'm sure you have been using a loss-less codec and filling up hard drives for years, and cursing when you had to go back and rip them again when a better codec came along...

I used to do that - especially when I worked for a leading company in providing streaming codecs and such... until I realized that my hearing was so screwed up that I couldn't tell the difference. Now I mostly listen to Pandora.
    I have to say, this is one of the best "subtle humor" posts I've seen on here in a while.
    With cloud storage and synergy music, one will not need large storage for music on their devices.
    Not for audio. Meaning, not for audio players. I remember people complaining the Treo 680 didn't have a 3.5mm port. There were a lot of reviewers who gigged it for not having a 3.5. port. Palm had to have known the wide displeasure of using 2.5mm ports on their later phones like the 680 and so forth. Even the Treo 600 was designed in an age of 3.5mm audio player dominance.
    This is slightly off topic, but I don't agree with your assertion that Palm was trying to force people into a "nonstandard" connector.

2.5mm was the standard for a phone at the time. The Treo was a phone that added some new non-phone capabilities (that weren't standard at the time), such as playing music. The headset they originall included was a single ear-bud that had a mix in it. Obviously intended to follow the (then current) phone standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    You are correct. The Veer doesn't have any more storage than the Pixi.
    I stand corrected. I thought I remembered from the video that it had the same storage as the Pre 2.
    This is slightly off topic, but I don't agree with your assertion that Palm was trying to force people into a "nonstandard" connector.

2.5mm was the standard for a phone at the time. The Treo was a phone that added some new non-phone capabilities (that weren't standard at the time), such as playing music. The headset they originall included was a single ear-bud that had a mix in it. Obviously intended to follow the (then current) phone standard.
    Which is why the iPhone...or at least one reason...took off so well. Apple gave us what we wanted. The fact that Palm couldn't read the market and innovate is not the consumer's fault. And I didn't say Palm "forced" anyone into the 2.5mm jack. I merely meant Palm didn't offer what the market clearly wanted.
    Palm was way ahead of their time with the Treo. Blackberry used a 2.5mm back then, too.

But most importantly, the size of the jack had ZERO impact on the iPhone's success. It had many desirable features, including a fantastic user experience and the uber-valuable Apple logo... but I dare you to find someone who said "I'm not buying that new-fangled iPhone thing unless is uses a 3.5mm headphone jack" or walked into the apple store and said "once I found out that the iPhone had a 3.5mm jack, I decided to camp out so I could get one on launch day."

Seriously, there are LOTS of reasons to like the iphone. Using a 3.5mm jack wasn't in the top 1,000 reasons.
    I have to say, this is one of the best "subtle humor" posts I've seen on here in a while.
    I wasn't kidding. And even crazier is that they have me running the sound board for middle schoolers at my church. The deaf guy running sound... if I didn't have a sound meter, I'd be dangerous.
    Palm was way ahead of their time with the Treo. Blackberry used a 2.5mm back then, too.

But most importantly, the size of the jack had ZERO impact on the iPhone's success. It had many desirable features, including a fantastic user experience and the uber-valuable Apple logo... but I dare you to find someone who said "I'm not buying that new-fangled iPhone thing unless is uses a 3.5mm headphone jack" or walked into the apple store and said "once I found out that the iPhone had a 3.5mm jack, I decided to camp out so I could get one on launch day."

Seriously, there are LOTS of reasons to like the iphone. Using a 3.5mm jack wasn't in the top 1,000 reasons.
    That's the thing, the iPhone was sold as a music playing phone. It had all that was needed to play music...unfortunately Apple neglected to use a normal size hole at that time. But the market came to the rescue and to this day headphones are created with a small shank. And I don't mean to single out the headphone jack as the primary reason why the iPhone sold so well. I meant it as an addition to the whole. You cannot leave one single thing out of the mix if you want to be successful. If Palm concluded they could make a music playing phone without catering to the MP3 player market, they clearly weren't in touch.

The iPhone was a success because everything else in the market was not so good. The iPhone brought a solid, simple design with a capacitive TS and simple user interface that was reliable. My Tre0 680 was a nightmare and everything else in the market had bits and pieces of what was wanted but nothing had it all. The iPhone gave it all. People were clamoring for what the iPhone brought. A lot of people see it as the logo love. But it wasn't. The iPhone contained everything the consumer wanted. It wasn't like the rest of the industry by offering one thing we wanted and the rest would have been too much for one single device. The industry's attitude was the iPhone offered us too much.
    Which is why the iPhone...or at least one reason...took off so well. Apple gave us what we wanted. The fact that Palm couldn't read the market and innovate is not the consumer's fault. And I didn't say Palm "forced" anyone into the 2.5mm jack. I merely meant Palm didn't offer what the market clearly wanted.
    OK, you didn't say "force", but you did call it a "tactic", I drew my own inference:
    This is typical Palm design tactics. They used it with the Treos with the non-standard 2.5mm headphone port where you had to keep track of an adapter and it never was a good thing..
    Back to the Treo of the time though, it wasn't Palm ignoring what people "wanted" - they were doing something relatively new to a phones - adding music capabilities. In this case, phone was the bigger focus, music secondary (which is why it came with a single bud headset).

Apple was turning their music player (which already had a standard) into a phone. The phone was secondary.
    I wasn't kidding. And even crazier is that they have me running the sound board for middle schoolers at my church. The deaf guy running sound... if I didn't have a sound meter, I'd be dangerous.
    All the old guys are asked to run sound at church. I ran sound for a travelling group in college, so have been tapped to run sound at my church (many members there went to the same college) for years.

I have the same problem as you. All the old sound guys are deaf at the outer ranges

But, I still mix pretty good
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast