Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 170
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    I only use Bluetooth when I'm working out, not when I'm just sitting around listening to music. To me, it doesn't sound that bad, and definitely isn't the weakest link in the chain (background noise, gym's crappy music, treadmill noise, etc). I have a nice set of Etymotics that I use when I really want to hear the music well.
    He was wrong about the bit rate anyway. See my previous post.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  2. #102  
    Just curious... What other adapters could be used with the Veer? Credit card reader? IR transmitter?

    I wonder if Palm will support third-party adapters...

    Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Where in this thread did I declare the Veer a failure?

    I'm merely discussing the charging/headphone adapter. And why I feel it to be a bad thing.
    Your views were pretty clear in "this thread", but his comment didn't specify you, or limit the comments to "this thread".

    Since he didn't limit it to "this thread", I offer this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I appreciate your optimism but I don't think anything will be a good place for the Veer or Pre 3.

    That form factor has to go.
    It failed.
    I'm sorry but that's the reality of it.
    And since what he said was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ...And seriously, everybody gave this little thing raves and kudos on wed. I hope everyone will resist the urge to declare things as complete failure until they've actually been in the same zip code as the device they are hating on.
    I think he makes a pretty good point.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Just curious... What other adapters could be used with the Veer? Credit card reader? IR transmitter?

    I wonder if Palm will support third-party adapters...

    Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
    It really depends on what type of data the connector is capable of transmitting. We already know it can act as a USB client or a headset jack, but for a card reader or IR transceiver it would need to also be able to act as a USB host or some other proprietary host.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I rotate between three different pair of headphones and three music players. And the Veer can't be your main player because the amount of storage stinks, unless you want to constantly switch out media.
    What is funny (sad) to me is that we all use expensive headphones to listen to devices that are playing 128kb mp3 files. The quality of mp3 at 128kb is horrible. Even 128kb wma or aac is pretty lame. And yet I pull out my expensive Shure in-ear monitors and think it sounds great because I forget that my hearing is so bad that I can't really tell the difference...

    And then I flip over to Pandora and rock out on an even lossier stream. I should have listened to my parents when they told me not to listen to my music so loud.

    So those of you that think of yourselves as audiophiles and carry expensive ear buds... keep the volume down!
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Don't care. I have the standard USB jack and the standard 3.5mm headphone jack on my Pixi now, and I use both of them... never. They are just wasted space.
    I gave my headset to my daughter for her BB.
  7. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What is funny (sad) to me is that we all use expensive headphones to listen to devices that are playing 128kb mp3 files.
    Speak for yourself, I don't have any 128kb mp3s in my library, and haven't for years.
  8. #108  
    Audiophiles do not speak of sound quality when talking about MP3s or streaming audio. That was sort of my point. This is also why I don't use my Pixi as a music player. For that I have a 40GB Toshiba Gigabeat running Rockbox, loaded with FLAC copies of my CD collection. And I never, ever wear headphones. I value my hearing.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9. #109  
    I'm thinking of buying a Veer just to spite everyone, even though I despise sliders. ;D
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  10. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #110  
    I think the Veer is awesome. If it had a front-facing camera, I'd probably buy one, but I've gotten in the habit of video chatting with my 5 year old while I'm traveling for work (using my iPod touch and Facetime). I'd love to use Skype on the Veer, but it looks like the Pre3 is the one for me.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It really depends on what type of data the connector is capable of transmitting. We already know it can act as a USB client or a headset jack, but for a card reader or IR transceiver it would need to also be able to act as a USB host or some other proprietary host.
    Well, hopefully it'll be able to do that. The Veer would be a pretty awesome phone if it supported those kind of devices.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyLK View Post
    This is typical Palm design tactics. They used it with the Treos with the non-standard 2.5mm headphone port where you had to keep track of an adapter and it never was a good thing. In fact, this kind of engineering is what made the original iPhone so popular...
    When the Treo was originally designed, 2.5 was the standard.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    FYI, the 2.5mm jack was what ALL phones used until the iPhone decided to use 3.5mm to be consistent with iPods and mp3 players. The Treo and Centro were using the same standard earphone jack as every other cell phone.
    ...
    Tim Tim Tim, what are we going to do with you. Until Apple invented the 3.5mm headset plug, there was no "standard". Apple had to create one.

    You've obviously been deprived of the of your daily kool-aid ration.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Speak for yourself, I don't have any 128kb mp3s in my library, and haven't for years.
    Then your entire library came from CDs that you ripped, and I can respect that. And you probably went back and re-ripped from original CDs when loss-less codecs appeared, and when they were updated... But, iTunes sells more music than any other source. And many people have collected music from music sharing sites by the ton, which is why the RIAA keeps suing people and stomping on sites like Napster... so I'll bet that 99% of the people that listen to mp3 players are listening to 128kb mp3, and more recently 128kb aac - which is about 50% better than mp3 at the same bit-rate.

    I'm sure you have been using a loss-less codec and filling up hard drives for years, and cursing when you had to go back and rip them again when a better codec came along...

    I used to do that - especially when I worked for a leading company in providing streaming codecs and such... until I realized that my hearing was so screwed up that I couldn't tell the difference. Now I mostly listen to Pandora.
  15. #115  
    Most people use headphones when they are doing some sort of activity, so you would need a really really long extension cord if you wanted to charge you Veer and use the headphones at the same time. If you are not using for an activity then you can have it sitting on a TS charger.
  16. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Then your entire library came from CDs that you ripped, and I can respect that. And you probably went back and re-ripped from original CDs when loss-less codecs appeared, and when they were updated... But, iTunes sells more music than any other source. And many people have collected music from music sharing sites by the ton, which is why the RIAA keeps suing people and stomping on sites like Napster... so I'll bet that 99% of the people that listen to mp3 players are listening to 128kb mp3, and more recently 128kb aac - which is about 50% better than mp3 at the same bit-rate.

    I'm sure you have been using a loss-less codec and filling up hard drives for years, and cursing when you had to go back and rip them again when a better codec came along...

    I used to do that - especially when I worked for a leading company in providing streaming codecs and such... until I realized that my hearing was so screwed up that I couldn't tell the difference. Now I mostly listen to Pandora.
    That actually describes things pretty well. Though FWIW, the new iTunes files are 256kb AAC, which is actually noticeably better than 128kb, but I will continue to buy and rip CDs until I can't easily buy CDs anymore.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    When the Treo was originally designed, 2.5 was the standard.
    Not for audio. Meaning, not for audio players. I remember people complaining the Treo 680 didn't have a 3.5mm port. There were a lot of reviewers who gigged it for not having a 3.5. port. Palm had to have known the wide displeasure of using 2.5mm ports on their later phones like the 680 and so forth. Even the Treo 600 was designed in an age of 3.5mm audio player dominance.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    ...Touchstone can't charge while you use your phone to any sort of degree...
    You keep saying this - it's really a simple two step process:
    1. Unplug power adaptor from Touchstone
    2. Plug power adaptor to phone
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I rotate between three different pair of headphones and three music players. And the Veer can't be your main player because the amount of storage stinks, unless you want to constantly switch out media.
    I don't think the Veer was meant to be your main player, or at least not everyone's main player. However, since it has more memory than the Pixi, seems like you'd appreciate that at least it's an improvement in that area.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Tim Tim Tim, what are we going to do with you. Until Apple invented the 3.5mm headset plug, there was no "standard". Apple had to create one.

    You've obviously been deprived of the of your daily kool-aid ration.
    Apple certainly did not invent the 3.5mm TRS plug, which has been in use since people were listening to transistor radios. The 2.5mm plug was the standard for cellphone headsets before they crossed over as music playing devices, to keep people from plugging regular headphones into their cellphones and wonder why they did not work.

    The addition of another conductor to the 3.5mm stereo TRS plug created the TRRS, which allowed the use of standard stereo 3.5mm headphones, as well as created another input for the microphone. I'm not sure who added the additional connector first--Wikipedia seems to think it was Nokia back in 2006--but it was done to conform with an already long-existing standard for stereo output.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

Posting Permissions