Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I remember stocking up on a bunch of 2.5mm headsets and then having my next phone have 3.5mm. Thankfully I was able to find a few friends with 2.5 to unload a few. I just couldn't stand using an adapter. Had to ditch cords because I kept breaking them. Nothing worse than wrapping a cord around the steering wheel while you're driving and almost crash because you're trying to save the cord instead of letting it snap. That Quietspot was nice. Never found a good enough deal on one and was pretty happy with the Jabras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Ironically, I'm probably the only person that ever declined to buy a phone because it didn't support a standard headphone jack... because I was (and still am) a huge fan of the Shure Quietspot... but then Shure quit making them.

Also, remember that wired headset jacks were smaller (2.5mm) until Apple decided to create a new headset based on a 3.5mm jack - so I had to buy an adapter to keep using my 2.5mm headset. The Blackberry Pearl tried to ignore Apple and stay with the 2.5mm jack, and people had to buy these because everyone stopped making 2.5mm headsets... and the Pearl wasn't a huge success, but it sold. And no one bought the adapters because no one cared.
    The problem is their track record of sales just sucks, so trying to create something new and have people adopt it en mass and embrace it isn't likely.

And to answer your question, yes to magnetic if it's widely adopted and I can use it for my mp3 player, bluetooth headset, tablet, ereader and then some. No if I can't.
    Point? The way Palm designed this is cool, and if it can be copied by other phone makers (not sure if it is patented) they will. Can anyone tell me that they wouldn't prefer a magnetic connector to plug a usb cable in to ANY device they currently own? You realize that this is passing a standard usb signal over those 5 little contacts, right?

The problem is, they would never create something that is a "standard" so everybody adopts it. They are about proprietary differentiation.
    Wow, that sounds like the sales pitch for the mag connector on the macbooks. And everyone likes them. I bet Apple wishes they had put something like this on the iPod/iPhone, but they can't now because every freaking hotel alarm clock in the world now has an iPod dock built in.
    And JLegacy....

1. The iPhone has support from just about every accessory manufacturer in the world. They have the sales to back it up and give them the incentive to make the accessories. HPalm? not so much. Actually, not at all. Their market share is dismal. Who would want to make anything proprietary for them? Who would follow them in creating a standard?

2. Regardless if we don't want this phone, we want them to succeed so we can hopefully see some phones we would want.

The sad thing is, according to the FCC submission, this was submitted by Palm, not HP. That means there was no HP influence in this, and they just rolled with what they had. Go figure. So this phone was most likely in the pipeline as a pixi replacement, shows they want to keep the Pixi as a low to mid range phone and just scrap the form factor people wanted as an alternative to the slider.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I understand both sides of this argument. I don't care, because I never use the USB or headphone jacks on my Pixi now, but I do understand. However I think you guys are making a mountain of a molehill. Yes, it is a proprietary connector, but hey, they give it to you. What's the big deal with just leaving the connector permanently attached to your headphones or your USB cable?

Get Veer -> attach included proprietary connectors to your cables and leave them there -> never worry about it again.

Nothing says you have to remove the connector from your headphones when you're not using them. So the only way you lose your connectors is if you lose your headphones. The biggest inconvenience I can see this causing is that if you have more than one set of headphones, or if you like to use headphones and then plug it into your car stereo or whatever, you will have to purchase additional connectors in order to not have to move any of them around once they are installed. But as long as they are not expensive, I still don't think this is a big deal.

Hell I would have had to buy new adapters for my Pixi because my previous phones had a mini-USB connector instead of a micro-USB connector. Standards change, too. If they start putting USB 3.0 connectors on phones, they will change again.

Much ado about nothing.
    It isn't about that, it's about having to keep up with it. It can easily be lost. Plus, music lovers like myself aren't limited to one set of phones. We like to change it up a bit now and then. Most, though, it's the overall perception of the device. Does the maker engineer it in such a way as to maximize user convenience or do they cut corners?

With my Treos, I had to keep track of the adapter when I wanted to use my MP3 players. Switching out between them was the issue. You can't just pull the phone plug from a dead MP3 play and immediately plug it into the Treo. No, you had to figure out what the heck you did with the adapter first. Then you had to go chasing it down. It might be right beside your main sitting location where you can get at it handily. But now you are at your bed or other place and forgot to remember to bring the thing with you.

Convenience. That is what sells. It's okay for people who are satisfied with the arrangement to blow off complaints of inconvenience. But for the compny to blow them off...they end up like Palm, in the end.
    And it looks like the iPad2 may well have magnetic connectors. All those who are hating on HP for this are going to look silly when they pop back in here to praise Apple for doing this on the iPad2 and iPhone5...

iPad, iPhone may soon sprout magnetic connectors for fast disengage
    Not in my case. I'm not a fan boy of any company. I used to love Palm and now I love Apple. Not because Apple deserves it. Only because their product fits my needs...they are making me happy with their offering. But if Apple does what is inconvenient, they, too, will get complaints and be on the same road to oblivion that Palm rode. I'm not a loyalist. Companies don't deserve loyalty. They don't care about our loyalty, only about our money. Same with MS or HP or any other company.

If HP puts out a product that is reliable and efficient and fits my needs in every way, I will buy from them.
    I rotate between three different pair of headphones and three music players. And the Veer can't be your main player because the amount of storage stinks, unless you want to constantly switch out media.
    What's the big deal with just leaving the connector permanently attached to your headphones or your USB cable?

Get Veer -> attach included proprietary connectors to your cables and leave them there -> never worry about it again.

Nothing says you have to remove the connector from your headphones when you're not using them.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I rotate between three different pair of headphones and three music players. And the Veer can't be your main player because the amount of storage stinks, unless you want to constantly switch out media.
    In that case, especially considering you have three music players, why bother using the Veer as a player at all?

I still think you guys are making a mountain of a molehill. For this particular user and perhaps Marty it may be an overall inconvenience, but I don't know anyone else that carts around several different players or headphones. Heck if you're already carrying all that crap around, what's a few more connectors?

And I still say TouchStone/BT, done with it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    convenience, forget to charge one, some fit specific needs. headphones fit specific needs too. Working out, travel, casual listening, critical listening.

If I had a phone as small as the Veer, I might run with it once in awhile or use it for working out if I knew I had a good enough charge and needed to be in contact. But generally I run and workout with a Clip. I have a Zen I use for teaching a workout class and that will sometimes get used during workouts over the Clip. I keep all my playlists for classes on it, and it's one of the few players that will play a track and stop. I'll watch vids of the classes on the Zen or play the vids just for audio for learning. If I want to do some browsing while working out I'll break out the Nook Color, listen to TuneIn Radio, Pandora or what not while surfing the web and such. That wouldn't be much fun on the Veer, but would be the only reason I'd get a Veer, because I have the tablet when I need a larger screen.

Convergence is never perfect, and something like the Veer is anti-convergence leaving each device to do what it does best or at least better. I can easily watch movies and such on my Epic, but it would be frustrating on the Veer so I would rely on the Nook more. So that's two devices right there.

Touchstone can't charge on the go. Touchstone can't charge while you use your phone to any sort of degree. BT headphones are a pain. Something else you have to worry about being kept charged. They don't sound as good as wired canal buds of any sort of quality. And of course you use more juice.

And again, you do not speak for the masses. People on here are the exception, not the rule. So what works for you rarely works for everyone that has never heard of precentral or any other forum.
    The charging connector is part of the charging cable. You would have to lose the entire cable and not have a touchstone in order to be unable to charge, same as with the current Pre.

The only downside to this design is that you will have to buy the chargeing cable specific to this phone rather than a generic cable. But, that's no different that how it works for the iPhone connector cables.

The stereo headset adapter is a separate part so you can use any pair of ear buds. The charging cable is a standard USB cable on one end and the magnetic connector molded on to the other end.
    Now that you've totally messed up the "users are bound to loose the little adaptor for the charger" complaints (from people that have no intention of ever buying one), prepare thyself for the "they'll lose the headphone adaptor" complaints (from people that have no intention of ever buying one). If that fails, prepare thyself for the "Oh yeah, well, the whole company sucks anyway, and I want my blankie" complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess nobody else here charges their smartphone in their vehicle while driving around and listening to music via the headphone jack. GPS uses a lot of juice so I always like to be charging the phone while in the car.
    I tried using a headphone jack one time with my Treo didn't like the cables hanging from my ear. Was thrilled that the Pre supported stereo BT. Sounds like that would be a good option here.
    well I don't have intentions of buying, but then again, I didn't have any intentions of getting the Pixi when I bought it after I had given up on webOS and its shortcomings. Go figure. The funny thing is, having an Epic and having had an Evo, smaller phone for me would be the Pre3, but if I'm going backwards in size, the Veer would be the way to go. I still can't see how much less volume the Veer will be over the Pixi so have a hard time with their justification of why the proprietary connectors.
    So, if you did get the Veer, you'd still have a Zen and a Clip you could use for music, a Nook Color for browsing, and an Epic for movies, but no BT headphones because keeping those charged along with everything else you own would be a pain, and because they don't sound as good, when we're talking about MP3s and streaming audio.

Yeah, clearly the Veer is not for you.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    IMO the add on is what makes it nonstandard. here we have this great, itty bitty tiny phone that should be a big hit but since you need an adapter to make it work like every other phone people are going to take a pass.
    "Every other phone"? I don't think so...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I've made the swap to Bluetooth stereo when I'm running or working out. Nice to not have a cord attached to something coming off me. The time my arm hit the cord and pulled my phone onto the treadmill belt and I watched it get thrown backwards towards the wall off the belt was what did it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I tried using a headphone jack one time with my Treo didn't like the cables hanging from my ear. Was thrilled that the Pre supported stereo BT. Sounds like that would be a good option here.
    Not with BT. It's limited to 128Kb/s audio quality. That wouldn't do well for people using $200 to $500 canalphones. And it wouldn't make sense to use a high quality audio format with BT.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    I've made the swap to Bluetooth stereo when I'm running or working out. Nice to not have a cord attached to something coming off me. The time my arm hit the cord and pulled my phone onto the treadmill belt and I watched it get thrown backwards towards the wall off the belt was what did it for me.
    I've been there. But have learned to keep the cable inside my shirt and the player clipped to the shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikirumata View Post
    ...The Veer connector is a non-issue. I kinda wish the Pre3 had this feature!
    To be fair, it's a non-issue for some.

For others, they should buy something else.

There, see how simple all this is?
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyLK View Post
    Not with BT. It's limited to 128Kb/s audio quality.
    Incorrect. 345kb/s is the maximum for stereo audio over A2DP.

http://www.ars2000.com/Bluetooth-Datarates-ACL.pdf
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I have a pair of headphones microusb cable at work. I have a 3.5 stereo plug and micro usb in the car. I have several sets of all at home. I'm at my friends house and can switch between them all without worry of an adapter. All I carry is my phone.... Use case libray which I'm sure is not uncommon.

Now if the adapter is $1 and it's not cost prohibitive to buy for all occasions then it might not be a problem with having connectivity I need. But I purposefully turn off blue tooth because it's a battery drain. 950mAh is not going to offer stellar life especially to the crowd that complained about Pixi battery life at 1150.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyLK View Post
    Not with BT. It's limited to 128Kb/s audio quality. That wouldn't do well for people using $200 to $500 canalphones. And it wouldn't make sense to use a high quality audio format with BT.

I've been there. But have learned to keep the cable inside my shirt and the player clipped to the shirt.
    I only use Bluetooth when I'm working out, not when I'm just sitting around listening to music. To me, it doesn't sound that bad, and definitely isn't the weakest link in the chain (background noise, gym's crappy music, treadmill noise, etc). I have a nice set of Etymotics that I use when I really want to hear the music well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    ...The bluetooth/touchstone comments just mean that it's another hurdle for HP/Veer.
    You have to buy a bluetooth device and a touchstone to have the same easy use as any device out there right now.
    Puhlease - the device comes with an easy charger. The device comes with an easy headset. The extras are just that, extra that add to the use of the device.

The "that's not standard" comments just indicate people (most of which never intended on buying one anyway) just want to find something to complain about.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To be fair, it's a non-issue for some.

For others, they should buy something else.

There, see how simple all this is?
    Except long time treo-pixi owners who have no upgrade path now have to go elsewhere.
    Incorrect. 345kb/s is the maximum for stereo audio over A2DP.

http://www.ars2000.com/Bluetooth-Datarates-ACL.pdf
    Then it has changed. Because it was limited to 128.

Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    Except long time treo-pixi owners who have no upgrade path now have to go elsewhere.
    I'm currently with T-Mobile and if T had a decent Palm/HP device, I would immediately...right this moment...go get it. But the Veer, which is rumored to go to at least T, isn't it.