Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    shouldn't have to buy proprietary anything in this day and age to do the basics. The Pixi was pretty damn thin and small yet managed to have microUSB and a headphone jack. I'd put money on the overall volume of the two phones being quite similar. And I thought I was unhappy with the new phones on announcement day. Just seems to get worse the more things get uncovered.

Personally I don't like the touchstone in the car. If my battery is low, and I need to charge and use my phone, the touchstone is useless. And on my nightstand it makes no sense to have a bedside clock I have to sit up to see. Love the concept, but that little puck only seems to be convenient when it's modified. And when I travel, only generic microUSB is coming with.

touchstone and bluetooth might be the geeks answer here, but it's not the answer for the masses.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    shouldn't have to buy proprietary anything in this day and age to do the basics.
    You can tell that one to Apple....

HP comes up with a novel idea and you guys want to <<mod edit>>. Apple continues to use a 30-pin proprietary connector that looks like it's from the early 90's rather than the standard micro-USB port everyone else is using and no one really cares.

Seriously guys, if you don't like, don't buy it and stfu plskthx.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/12/2011 at 04:50 PM.
    shouldn't have to buy proprietary anything in this day and age to do the basics.
    you won't have to buy anything, because the adapters will be included with the phone...
    Touchstone. Bluetooth headphones. Nuff said.
    by the way, the MotoRazr required a dongle (extra cost) to use a wired headset... And that phone broke sales records, putting motorola back in to the handset game...
    right. If you use both of those as well as just syncing with the included cable, you should never have to use a fiddly adapter for anything. Even if you just use a BT headset, you will never have a need for the adapter.
    If they designed this right, the only reason you should ever need the adapter is to use 3.5mm wired headphones. Which is a dealbreaker for some (myself included!) but not as bad as it sounds.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I can go to a coworker and borrow his apple connector if I don't bring in one of my $2 monoprice ones that I keep everywhere.

motorazr did well with proprietary cables when no one used usb. There was no choice better choice or demand.
    ok, so everyone that hasn't seen it or tried it, I'm sure you are right. Please post these results to @palm on twitter so they can save themselves the effort and cancel the Veer.
    imo propitiatory is always bad. Worse when that propitiatory part adds/subtracts a function.

This is another thing to lose.
    Adds bulk to a small svelte device.

And with out it makes the phone incompatible with the most popular connection for audio out. 3.5mm jack.

Magnetic charger = cool
    lack of headphone jack = not cool
    lack of standard micro usb = not cool

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    wow the ignore feature works stinking good !!! woo hoo !!!
    Yes it does. It would be really great if P|C could hide their quotes as well.
    PM each other you two ^

What if they are doing this just so they don't have to repair the whole phone everytime the headphone jacks fail.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ok, so everyone that hasn't seen it or tried it, I'm sure you are right. Please post these results to @palm on twitter so they can save themselves the effort and cancel the Veer.
    Don't worry, in the 7 months it will take to come to market they'll have adjusted to the concept
    I'd give you credit for this if it weren't ancient history when many phones still had proprietary connectors of sorts. Besides, how many sales records has Palm or HP broken lately?
    by the way, the MotoRazr required a dongle (extra cost) to use a wired headset... And that phone broke sales records, putting motorola back in to the handset game...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'd give you credit for this if it weren't ancient history when many phones still had proprietary connectors of sorts. Besides, how many sales records has Palm or HP broken lately?
    Very true. I should have been more clear in the analogy that it didn't effect Razr sales because nobody cared. Almost nobody bought the adapters because bluetooth was preferable, and the thin/pocket friendly attraction of the hardware was doing the selling.

Ironically, I'm probably the only person that ever declined to buy a phone because it didn't support a standard headphone jack... because I was (and still am) a huge fan of the Shure Quietspot... but then Shure quit making them.

Also, remember that wired headset jacks were smaller (2.5mm) until Apple decided to create a new headset based on a 3.5mm jack - so I had to buy an adapter to keep using my 2.5mm headset. The Blackberry Pearl tried to ignore Apple and stay with the 2.5mm jack, and people had to buy these because everyone stopped making 2.5mm headsets... and the Pearl wasn't a huge success, but it sold. And no one bought the adapters because no one cared.

Point? The way Palm designed this is cool, and if it can be copied by other phone makers (not sure if it is patented) they will. Can anyone tell me that they wouldn't prefer a magnetic connector to plug a usb cable in to ANY device they currently own? You realize that this is passing a standard usb signal over those 5 little contacts, right?

I would like them to sell an adapter that is the opposite of this to put in my netbook that would add this feature. Then I could just drop a cable onto it and there would be no more plugs, and no chance of pulling my netbook to the floor when someone trips over the cable.

Wow, that sounds like the sales pitch for the mag connector on the macbooks. And everyone likes them. I bet Apple wishes they had put something like this on the iPod/iPhone, but they can't now because every freaking hotel alarm clock in the world now has an iPod dock built in.
    This is typical Palm design tactics. They used it with the Treos with the non-standard 2.5mm headphone port where you had to keep track of an adapter and it never was a good thing. In fact, this kind of engineering is what made the original iPhone so popular.

If the Veer didn't have enough room for the ports to be built in, they should have given it just enough room so they could build them in.

I see HP going down the same road that killed Palm.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Overreact, much?

I rarely use the auxillary out on my Pre as it is, and if the touchstones work well, and the device comes with one, then the cable isn't an issue either.

The iPhone's had success with non-standard ports, so relax.

Jesus people, most of you didn't want this phone anyway.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyLK View Post
    This is typical Palm design tactics. They used it with the Treos with the non-standard 2.5mm headphone port where you had to keep track of an adapter and it never was a good thing. In fact, this kind of engineering is what made the original iPhone so popular.

If the Veer didn't have enough room for the ports to be built in, they should have given it just enough room so they could build them in.

I see HP going down the same road that killed Palm.
    FYI, the 2.5mm jack was what ALL phones used until the iPhone decided to use 3.5mm to be consistent with iPods and mp3 players. The Treo and Centro were using the same standard earphone jack as every other cell phone.

The only company besides Apple to buck the 2.5mm standard was Nokia, who continues to support several non-standard jack designs. I have several sitting useless in my desk drawer.

BTW y'all, Apple was just granted a patent for more magnetic connectors, including a mag-safe power connector that includes fiber optics... So you can expect physical jacks to go away on many devices... I'm wondering if I could figure out how to patent a magnetic RJ-45 connector and get rich licensing it. I would love to be able to use ethernet cables with a magnetic connector...

Recent Apple patent:
    Apple Dreams Up a New User Friendly Connector System - Patently Apple
    FYI, the 2.5mm jack was what ALL phones used until the iPhone decided to use 3.5mm to be consistent with iPods and mp3 players. The Treo and Centro were using the same standard earphone jack as every other cell phone.

The only company besides Apple to buck the 2.5mm standard was Nokia, who continues to support several non-standard jack designs. I have several sitting useless in my desk drawer.

BTW y'all, Apple was just granted a patent for more magnetic connectors, including a mag-safe power connector that includes fiber optics... So you can expect physical jacks to go away on many devices... I'm wondering if I could figure out how to patent a magnetic RJ-45 connector and get rich licensing it. I would love to be able to use ethernet cables with a magnetic connector...

Recent Apple patent:
    Apple Dreams Up a New User Friendly Connector System - Patently Apple
    Add Sony/Ericcson to that list. They continue to use non-standard ports. But what I meant was, the MP3 player was already well established. Any company that wanted to integrate music playing with their device knew full well that not using the normal 3.5mm jack was bad. And as you said, the 2.5mm was common. That is one reason why the iPhone was such a hit.
    I understand both sides of this argument. I don't care, because I never use the USB or headphone jacks on my Pixi now, but I do understand. However I think you guys are making a mountain of a molehill. Yes, it is a proprietary connector, but hey, they give it to you. What's the big deal with just leaving the connector permanently attached to your headphones or your USB cable?

Get Veer -> attach included proprietary connectors to your cables and leave them there -> never worry about it again.

Nothing says you have to remove the connector from your headphones when you're not using them. So the only way you lose your connectors is if you lose your headphones. The biggest inconvenience I can see this causing is that if you have more than one set of headphones, or if you like to use headphones and then plug it into your car stereo or whatever, you will have to purchase additional connectors in order to not have to move any of them around once they are installed. But as long as they are not expensive, I still don't think this is a big deal.

Hell I would have had to buy new adapters for my Pixi because my previous phones had a mini-USB connector instead of a micro-USB connector. Standards change, too. If they start putting USB 3.0 connectors on phones, they will change again.

Much ado about nothing.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    And it looks like the iPad2 may well have magnetic connectors. All those who are hating on HP for this are going to look silly when they pop back in here to praise Apple for doing this on the iPad2 and iPhone5...

iPad, iPhone may soon sprout magnetic connectors for fast disengage