Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 170
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess nobody else here charges their smartphone in their vehicle while driving around and listening to music via the headphone jack. GPS uses a lot of juice so I always like to be charging the phone while in the car.
    I do, but I've moved on to using a little bluetooth bridge like the Sony MW600 to avoid having to plug anything into the Pre. The handsfree mic cable that I had that would also let me plug in a cassette adapter caused more problems than it solved. A touchstone plugged into the Palm car charger also eliminated having to plug anything into the phone. I hope HP is encouraging 3rd parties to create a 'combo dock' that would allow access to charging and the headphone access if a touchstone isn't available.
  2. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    #22  
    Iphone is the perfect example. Sadly I do not think people will be making veer adapters in their cars and radios.
  3. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #23  
    Um....to my understanding the Veer DOES work with standard headphones and standard mini-usb's. It uses a non-standard add-on to give it that ability...but it DOES use the standard inputs. IT you ton' have to go buy new headphones and a new charger just for the veer, because it will use all your normal headphones and charges with the included attachment.

    Frankly, I'd be tempted to do the Veer along with the TouchPad if the Veer had the same transfer abilities as the Pre3. The main reasons I use my phone for web browsing and other screen intensive things would be replaced by the TouchPad, making it a lot more plausible to carry a very small phone for routine use. I use Bluetooth headphones for music and a touchstone for charging anyways.
  4. Dcook87's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I wonder what they will do for the European release? I'm not sure of all of the details, but I seem to remember reading that all phones in the EU, from 2011 must use the micro-usb standard to reduce the amount of wastage generated by additional chargers.
    Companies are allowed to ship adapters (i.e. the phone itself does not need to have micro-USB, it just has to be shipped with an adapter that will change whatever plug is on the phone to micro USB).

    That's why Apple was OK with this ruling.
  5. dan-o's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Um....to my understanding the Veer DOES work with standard headphones and standard mini-usb's. It uses a non-standard add-on to give it that ability...but it DOES use the standard inputs. IT you ton' have to go buy new headphones and a new charger just for the veer, because it will use all your normal headphones and charges with the included attachment.

    Frankly, I'd be tempted to do the Veer along with the TouchPad if the Veer had the same transfer abilities as the Pre3. The main reasons I use my phone for web browsing and other screen intensive things would be replaced by the TouchPad, making it a lot more plausible to carry a very small phone for routine use. I use Bluetooth headphones for music and a touchstone for charging anyways.
    IMO the add on is what makes it nonstandard. here we have this great, itty bitty tiny phone that should be a big hit but since you need an adapter to make it work like every other phone people are going to take a pass.
  6. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #26  
    It looks like Apple may be working on an iVeer too -Bloomberg - I bet that will have a standard USB port

    Not
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess nobody else here charges their smartphone in their vehicle while driving around and listening to music via the headphone jack. GPS uses a lot of juice so I always like to be charging the phone while in the car.
    TouchStone + Bluetooth.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm guessing 98% percent of users will not have these in their vehicle but will more likely have an aux jack or headphones and a cigarette lighter power adapter.
    Or a cassette adapter. I plug the cord into the Sony MW600 and I'm set. I use it at work too so I don't have anything plugged into the phone.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess nobody else here charges their smartphone in their vehicle while driving around and listening to music via the headphone jack. GPS uses a lot of juice so I always like to be charging the phone while in the car.
    I charge my pre using a touchstone plugged into my lighter and pipe audio through bluetooth to my JVC unit. For the gym, I use my BT headset. I don't even use the headphone jack anymore...I only use the USB cable to connect to my PC for moving music back and forth.

    The Veer connector is a non-issue. I kinda wish the Pre3 had this feature!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm guessing 98% percent of users will not have these in their vehicle but will more likely have an aux jack or headphones and a cigarette lighter power adapter.
    $25 universal BlueTooth receiver (receives BT A2DP stereo signal, outputs 3.5mm or RCA):

    Amazon.com: NEW Version Belkin F8Z492-PBluetooth Music Receiver: Electronics

    Or this one is USB powered:

    Amazon.com: Miccus BluBridge mini-jack Rx: Portable, Bluetooth Music Receiver with Stereo Output (1/8_Inch) for Home and Auto systems: Electronics

    Getting a TouchStone in there requires a bit more effort, but plenty of people have done it.

    I've got my TouchStone in my car, powered by an AC inverter that just happens to have a USB output on it as well. I could power both the TouchStone and the BT receiver with it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I wonder what they will do for the European release? I'm not sure of all of the details, but I seem to remember reading that all phones in the EU, from 2011 must use the micro-usb standard to reduce the amount of wastage generated by additional chargers.
    The other end of the adapter is standard USB, so it complies exactly as they do on current phones.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess nobody else here charges their smartphone in their vehicle while driving around and listening to music via the headphone jack. GPS uses a lot of juice so I always like to be charging the phone while in the car.
    Yep, the touchstone is the best car mount ever.
  13. rburna's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm guessing 98% percent of users will not have these in their vehicle but will more likely have an aux jack or headphones and a cigarette lighter power adapter.
    Palm vehicle ciggarette lighter power adapter provides 1A, which can be plugged into the touchstone charger. The only thing you will need to plug in is the headphone jack to aux, while the phone charges on the touchstone. works like a charm
  14. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #34  
    Seems no one has addressed the fact that not everyone has a bluetooth receiver in their car that would negate the need for a headphone jack.

    Use of bluetooth all the time causes battery drain.
  15. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #35  
    Everyone whined about laptops not coming with floppy drives anymore, too.

    Everyone also whined about "slim" laptops not coming with CD/DVD drives anymore, also.

    Now, I can't remember the last time I felt the need for either one. New technology moves in to replace the old. Bluetooth (until something better comes along) is the future of headsets. I see this as a forward-thinking move on HP's part. If you've got the tech savvy to buy and operate a smartphone, you can certainly figure out how to use headsets without wires.

    That being said, I do use my 3.5mm cable to pipe music from my Pre into the auxiliary jack in my truck. I'm sure they make a Bluetooth adapter for this purpose, but it's probably a bit more expensive than the cable. Such is the price of progress and technology.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm guessing 98% percent of users will not have these in their vehicle but will more likely have an aux jack or headphones and a cigarette lighter power adapter.
    HP should Partner with ProClip or at least rip them off to provide an in car charing solution.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    At first it may seem bad, but you never know where it can take off from here. In five years this may become a standard.

    I can understand lots of concerns with the way it's set up, but I think until people actually use the device and try it out first hand you won't understand how well it does work the magnets are a lot stronger than they look.

    For instance I can hold the phone by the cord connected with the magnet and it not drop.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    HP should Partner with ProClip or at least rip them off to provide an in car charing solution.
    Done:

    Attached Images Attached Images
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Done:

    My thoughts exactly. They would have to do it through best buy though to hide the wires.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Everyone whined about laptops not coming with floppy drives anymore, too.

    Everyone also whined about "slim" laptops not coming with CD/DVD drives anymore, also.

    Now, I can't remember the last time I felt the need for either one. New technology moves in to replace the old. Bluetooth (until something better comes along) is the future of headsets. I see this as a forward-thinking move on HP's part. If you've got the tech savvy to buy and operate a smartphone, you can certainly figure out how to use headsets without wires.

    That being said, I do use my 3.5mm cable to pipe music from my Pre into the auxiliary jack in my truck. I'm sure they make a Bluetooth adapter for this purpose, but it's probably a bit more expensive than the cable. Such is the price of progress and technology.
    It doesn't even really matter. They left us with a pretty elegant adapter for adding that port when needed. It actually seems little nicer than the current method because instead of having to shove the mic jack into the phone you can just move that adapter with the jack left inserted up to the phone and let it grab hold then just easily pull it off when you pick up the device to leave with it. The elegance of the design kind of matches that of the touchstones and I think will complement it nicely ESPECIALLY for in car use.

    I'm actually much more upset that the Pre3 won't have it.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions