Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So does the Veer bring anything to the table that the Pre 2 doesn't?

I'm curious about comparisons between the two? I see a lot of similarities between the two. One is compact, one has a bigger screen, but outside of the that are there any differences?

Is one quicker? Whats the keyboard difference between the two? Does the touch-to-share work with the Pre 2? Any other differences between the two?
    Quote Originally Posted by zap2 View Post
    Does the touch-to-share work with the Pre 2?
    according to the TouchPad page on Palm's site, no.
    Major differences: Faster, MUCH smaller, Tap-to-share, magnetic charging, improved keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Major differences: Faster, MUCH smaller, Tap-to-share, magnetic charging, improved keyboard.
    I may be wrong but I don't think the Veer has touch-to-share capability.
    I was taking a look at the processor specs for the veer. It does look like the new processor msm7230 (@800mhz) is just a bit faster than the pre2's omap3630 (@1ghz). The thing that interests me though is this table...
    Smartphone Benchmarks - Submit and compare Smartbench 2010/Quadrant benchmark results

The msm7230 is the same chip that is being used in the t-mobile(htc) G2. They've OC'd it to 1.9ghz! Which completely blows the stock (or even OC'd omap3640(droidX)) pre's cpu out of the water!

Think about that. If the veer could even get half that OC... You'd be sitting on a pretty powerful processor!
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Veer DOES have touch to share. Pre2 does not. Also I think 1GHz pre2 is faster than an 800mhz veer. I know it's probably a newer more efficient model and hz don't mean everything, but till there are tests I wouldn't assume anything about speed. You have to remember that the pre2 in public now has a less done version of 2.0 than the doctors that are floating around. The veer was running 2.1 i believe which should be more optimized so video comparisons of speed are unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't think the Veer has touch-to-share capability.
    I will review my notes, but I thought they said it would be added to the new hardware when the touchpad ships (since it requires the touchpad). But the basic electronics will aleady be there. I will double check my notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    Also I think 1GHz pre2 is faster than an 800mhz veer. I know it's probably a newer more efficient model and hz don't mean everything, but till there are tests I wouldn't assume anything about speed.

look at the table i posted above.
    stock msm7230 @800mhz is faster than stock omap 3640 @1ghz.

I would assume that the 3640 is faster than the 3630, but I could be wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I will review my notes, but I thought they said it would be added to the new hardware when the touchpad ships (since it requires the touchpad). But the basic electronics will aleady be there. I will double check my notes.
    ok. I thought I read somewhere yesterday it does not have the communication coil to do touch to share . Even the HP site only mentions touch to share with Pre 3 in the overview section of the Touchpad page.
    Wonder if you can hotwire an original Pixi for touch to share? Knowing this community somebody will find a way, LOL.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Wonder if you can hotwire an original Pixi for touch to share? Knowing this community somebody will find a way, LOL.
    haha like the way Pixi plus guts were cannibalized and put into Sprint pixis to add wifi! I think you may have something there.

maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the veer if I can take its guts and put into the pixi.
    The omap3 floating point performance is much lower than scorpiions, which is great if you use the cpu to render the UI. But webOS does not use the cpu to render the UI (webOS 1.x.x does, that is why pre+/- and pixi's UI is much smoother with OC cpu and why webOS 2 is silky smooth(the job is done by the gpu(what it is designed for))). But omap3's integer performance is quite a bit better than the scorpion at 800 MHz.
    With webOS 2 i would choose omap3 at 1 GHz. Faster web page loading and app loading(if properly optimized).

Learned from reading Anandtech's SoC articles(2009-2011).

But of course, only real world test can determine which device is faster.
    Last edited by asmoma; 02/17/2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by asmoma View Post
    The omap3 floating point performance is much lower than scorpiions, which is great if you use the cpu to render the UI. But webOS does not use the cpu to render the UI (webOS 1.x.x does, that is why pre+/- and pixi's UI is much smoother with OC cpu and why webOS 2 is silky smooth(the job is done by the gpu(what it is designed for))). But omap3's integer performance is quite a bit better than the scorpion at 800 MHz.
    With webOS 2 i would choose omap3 at 1 GHz. Faster web page loading and app loading(if properly optimized).

Learned from reading Anandtech's SoC articles(2009-2011).

But of course, only real world test can determine what which device is faster.
    Very interesting... but how does that relate to the OP's question?
    "Is one quicker?" From first post.
    Ops, double post :blush:
    Last edited by asmoma; 02/17/2011 at 04:00 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks so much for the post, asmoma.

Also someone said the keyboard is improved? I would assume it smaller, so in what way would is it improved? Perhaps it offers more feed back?(Like the Pixi?)
    If there is no touch to share option when the touchpad comes out thats fail.

Jon praised this phone saying how its a perfect companion to the touchpad.... except it's missing the one feature you would want with the touchpad!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    this might come as a surprise to everyone, but the two things i do most on my pre+ is talk and text. if the keyboard or call quality of the veer is better than the pre2, than the pre2 can't come anywhere near to measuring up to the diminutive veer - irregardless of all other features.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    If there is no touch to share option when the touchpad comes out thats fail.

Jon praised this phone saying how its a perfect companion to the touchpad.... except it's missing the one feature you would want with the touchpad!
    No one knows for sure one way or the other if it'll support TTS. Wait until it's released, then someone will take it apart and find out, and then people will alternately cheer and complain. The cycle repeats.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    this might come as a surprise to everyone, but the two things i do most on my pre+ is talk and text. if the keyboard or call quality of the veer is better than the pre2, than the pre2 can't come anywhere near to measuring up to the diminutive veer - irregardless of all other features.
    That last sentence is hugely confusing to me. Even putting aside "irregardless."

Are you saying the Veer is going to be your next phone, instead of the Pre 2, so long as the keyboard and voice quality are better?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast