Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    This has been prosed by a couple folks in other areas of the site:

A smartphone without a contract! If the Veer was stacked up against other "entry level" smartphones targeted at the "TOP UP" Pay-As-You-Go plans, it would sell like hotcakes. Especially as a GSM phone, people could be slapping SIM's into this like none other.

Essentially, if the phone can be purchased new, without a contract, for about $100 - $150 USD, as a P.A.Y.G. it would likely cause a new consumer bracket that doesn't really exist yet. Could you imagine a Palm ("HP" bleh) Veer in a plastic box, sitting proudly next to stacks of "TracFones" and other prepaid machines.

Sure, I see that my local Cricket store is now selling an Android phone, but the slick Veer and a clunky, underpowered 'droid slab are two different beasts.

Essentially, the Veer should be a smartphone for the non-smartphone users, while still being powerful to be picked up by a power-user. High-schoolers and Businessmen - UNITE!

I think that's what the Pixi was supposed to be (maybe not P.A.Y.G., but to bring people into smartphones). The Pixi ended up crippled and over-priced; let's see what happens with the Veer!
    That is an interesting idea. Might be a good way to make this appear valuable. I wonder how big the PAYG phone market even is though. Would a very successful PAYG phone be something that HP would consider a success for the Veer?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I thought of this aw well. Also the Veer might be more of a hit in other countries, India & China.
    The LG Optimus has sold millions and much of that is due to it being available on PAYG networks.

There is a market for this weaker phones, especially PAYG since those networks usually have such weak offerings. If they got this on Virgin Mobile I believe it could do phenomenally. I don't see it happening though.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    From everything we heard yesterday, I think this is going to have a premium price - I certainly can't see them duking it out with the flood of cheap android handsets.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    From everything we heard yesterday, I think this is going to have a premium price - I certainly can't see them duking it out with the flood of cheap android handsets.

You're right

It will be like the Pixi, then. Maybe in winter 2020 there will be some other webos devices to compete in various places. (Pre 9, anyone?)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I agree. A Veer will cost more than $150. I'm thinking it will be somewhere in the $250range unlocked. That could allow AT&T to sell it on contract for $50-$75, which would be stellar. With Pre 3 availability, the Pre 2 price comes down to the $350 range. The Pre 3 (if available unlocked) will be in the current Pre 2 price slot at $450. These are just WAGs though.