Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was pretty surprised when Palm announced this today. I still just can't wrap my head around why they think this will be successful. Does Palm not realize the market that it is competing in?

Smartphones exist in a market of carrier subsidies. This means that it is practically impossible to compete on price. You can make the most expensive phone out there, and still sell it for $200. Also, with the necessity of a phone and data plan, price competition becomes even more difficult.

In my eyes, the only way this thing can compete (if at all), is if it is sold for Free on contract, with a $15/month data plan like ATT offers. People aren't stupid - if this sells for even $50 on contract, people will know that they could spend an extra $50 up front and get an iphone, and that cost will be negligible in the long run with the necessity of a data plan anyway.

why would this be successful if the Pixi wasnt?
    It isn't.

If they can get this device at free on contract, or, say, $25 dollars with a cheaper data plan, then this will sell like crazy. Especially if it is fast, and the keyboard is decent.

Of course, that involves carriers doing something smart. And, well, we haven't seen a lot of that today (or, really, ever). But yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    It isn't.

If they can get this device at free on contract, or, say, $25 dollars with a cheaper data plan, then this will sell like crazy. Especially if it is fast, and the keyboard is decent.

Of course, that involves carriers doing something smart. And, well, we haven't seen a lot of that today (or, really, ever). But yeah.
    Sup _JKK_

I agree with you, if phones like the Opitmus S sell, this thing will too. The specs are crazy good for the size.
    Epic Fail.

You either go in all the way or you don't with a smartphone. And a mini-me version of a pre3 doesn't exactly open it up to at least the "form-factor" aware crowd. If you want a vert slider, just get a Pre3 why don't you.

So dumb. They should have made it a berry form.

The reason the Pixi failed (other then the general Palm failure) was the attempt to half *** a product to differentiate the line. When in fact the only thing that was needed to differentiate them was size not features. Stooopid.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    I'd love to have a Veer. Palm says they see a lot of interest in the form factor in market research. I just hope they've asked whether people are interested if they're going to be required to buy a data plan priced to mug brick phone data guzzlers.
    Market research?? Those "moms" who want cute little phones again huh?

Maybe its NYC thing but teens here don't have "teenie" phones. They have Berry's and iPhones.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Pixi failed because it was named 'Pixi' and bad marketing. Now that people have owned big droids, when I pop out my right-sized pixi (as a basic smart-phone, not a web browsing monster) it turns heads. My battery life is greater than 2 days a year later; not sure how it got better but it did. Bottom line, it does the job I need it to do easily and without excess size or weight.

I really think the pixi was optimum for size, the veer is shorter but thicker? My pockets are deeper than a credit card so I'm mostly concerned with if its obtrusive in my pocket. I'll have to wait and see if I would buy one.
    My guess: probably not as my pixi does the same job. I'll be debating going to Pre3.

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    Epic Fail.

You either go in all the way or you don't with a smartphone. And a mini-me version of a pre3 doesn't exactly open it up to at least the "form-factor" aware crowd. If you want a vert slider, just get a Pre3 why don't you.

So dumb. They should have made it a berry form.

The reason the Pixi failed (other then the general Palm failure) was the attempt to half *** a product to differentiate the line. When in fact the only thing that was needed to differentiate them was size not features. Stooopid.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanJ01 View Post
    I was pretty surprised when Palm announced this today. I still just can't wrap my head around why they think this will be successful.......
    Companion device to a touchpad. I know a lot of people who carry iPads and very small call phones now.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

let me just say that the Veer is an amazing piece of hardware. Screen too small for me. But the build quality and keyboard were outstanding. I didn't see a single person say anything negative. It's a great phone as long as it won't be used as the primary access for web access and email.

As long as the screen size isn't an issue, this will be a very popular phone. Try it in person before casting aspersions. You wil be surprised.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/10/2011 at 03:26 AM.
    where is the keyboard lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Veer is just dumb....this is America people!....Americans like big stuff this will never sell in say Texas...or Alabama...or New York City!!
    I think it is an awesome form factor that a lot of people, esp women will love. If it had a front facing camera, I would be all over it.
    I know many people that really like the size of their Pixi because it easily fits into small pockets. The Pre is the phone that was too small, not the Pixi.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Veer is just dumb....this is America people!....Americans like big stuff this will never sell in say Texas...or Alabama...or New York City!!
    I live in Texas and I plan on getting one for a second number I use. So, guess you don't know everything.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Cringer im happy for you getting the Veer but im talking about market domination here...I can see individuals loving the Veer form factor but we need 10s of millions on webOS asap and this is not going to get it done...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    1: HP sells to the entire world.

2: Even in the USA, there's a huge market for efficiency. "Sure, your iPhone is pretty... but my Veer's battery lasts all week."
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    ok go ahead and get your Veers im a webos fan so im happy for you...just dont complain when u get tired of peering into that 2.6 inch screen...

i admit im disappointed because i didnt get the form factor i wanted: Landscape Slider
    I actually like it, but does not seem to be coming to Sprint?

I need small, battery and smartphone, I here the keyboard is better than Pre3?

HP DID screw up by announcing this now, should have announced it separately, close to release AND announced the 4 or 5" slab NOW, just beacuase that would have gotten better reaction EVEN if they said available in summer ... not announcing the slab seems to have detracted from the pad.

The only way they make up for this, is to announce slab soon and have available soon ... like on sale in March.

Of course in the long run they can muscle through, but it seems this could have been orchestrated better.
    I would have bought a Veer and a Pad in March or maybe April. Small phone in my pocket and nice big screen if I needed it. But I'm DONE WAITING.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    let me just say that the Veer is an amazing piece of hardware. Screen to small for me. But the buils quality and keyboard were outstanding.
    That is certainly good to hear - I am looking forward to getting to play with one in person.

Also, I have to say the number of exited comments I have read here and on engadget definitely surprise me.

But still, for the masses, I can't see how this product can compete. Even at free on contract, people who go into a carrier looking for a free phone arn't going to pay an extra $30/month for data. And with the powerful internals I can easily see if coming out for $100+ with a contract.

Can someone remind me how much the pixi was when it first came out? I am thinking it was over $100 for a while wasn't it?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast