Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    But doesn't that depend on if it is popular or not?
    I've seen cheap accessories show up for products that never actually came to market. It seems as though someone in China gets a hold of the molds for stuff and flood ebay with a zillion or two.

The only thing that would make it difficult to clone that little adapter would be if there are electronics embedded in the plastic. I couldn't find anyone that knew if there was anything but the connectors and magnets in there. I couldn't talk them in to letting me cut one in half with a pocket knife, either.

If it's just 5 metal rods and two magnets, it will be simple to make. I'm just not smart enough to know if anything else is needed to make it work. I wasn't able to find anything similar for sale, or in patent searches.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Forget the pairing, the phone needs to stand on it's own. I see this as a good women's phone, for those that would have brought a dumb phone, don't want a large phone like a BB or Slab type device, not thrilled with the iphone, want something that can fit in an evening bag etc. They can keep it right next to the lipstick and compact. LOL Damn, HP should put a mirror on the back! Then women can apply make up while on the phone!
    Spoken like someone who REALLY knows women. ;-)

But, I like what Rahul Sood said about the Veer, (who "Founded VoodooPC 1991 - sold to HP 2006 - now a GM @Microsoft working in the XBOX business - I am an enthusiast of many things awesome.")
    Rahul Sood's Weblog

@rahulsood Rahul Sood
    to me #veer is big business in a small package, fast hardware, same OS, no performance sacrifice, which is why i think it's cool.

and

think of it like an accessory to the slate, it's a pretty cool device. everyone is trying to make an iphone, #veer is refreshingly unique

and

..and the fact that it's fast, they didn't try to cheap out on the processor/hardware. seriously, i think it's an excellent start.

and on why he left HP...

@pixelnate i don't like koolaid. i still like #webos, but i know my value & took an incredible offer to do something game changing again.

oh, and they ALL have the mirror... ;-)
    The Pixi has a standard charging port and 3.5mm headset jack built in as it should. If we have to go back to carrying adapters, step backward.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    mirror is amazing!
    I don't think it'll sell like hotcakes but it has appeal.
    There are rumors about Apple preparing a smaller version of the iPhone;
    Apple Works on Line of Less-Expensive iPhones - WSJ.com

Not to be funny, but if that turns out to be true, it will make the Veer & other small smartphones more appealing. Once Apple does it, it becomes cool & accepted by the masses. Case in point: the iPad – no one really needed or wanted a tablet until Apple did it. We’ll see what happens; either way I plan to pick up a Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Veer is just dumb....this is America people!....Americans like big stuff this will never sell in say Texas...or Alabama...or New York City!!
    HP will go more internationally than palm did. So happy not all men are Americans. If I want a tablet, I buy a tablet. If I want a pocketable phone, a 4.x incher won't do.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Spoken like someone who REALLY knows women. ;-)

But, I like what Rahul Sood said about the Veer, (who "Founded VoodooPC 1991 - sold to HP 2006 - now a GM @Microsoft working in the XBOX business - I am an enthusiast of many things awesome.")
    Rahul Sood's Weblog

@rahulsood Rahul Sood
    to me #veer is big business in a small package, fast hardware, same OS, no performance sacrifice, which is why i think it's cool.

and

think of it like an accessory to the slate, it's a pretty cool device. everyone is trying to make an iphone, #veer is refreshingly unique

and

..and the fact that it's fast, they didn't try to cheap out on the processor/hardware. seriously, i think it's an excellent start.

and on why he left HP...

@pixelnate i don't like koolaid. i still like #webos, but i know my value & took an incredible offer to do something game changing again.

oh, and they ALL have the mirror... ;-)
    I was going to say, my wife loves the mirror on the back of her Pre, and I have seen other women using them too. May not be as clear as a compact, but works in a pinch, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanJ01 View Post
    I was pretty surprised when Palm announced this today. I still just can't wrap my head around why they think this will be successful. Does Palm not realize the market that it is competing in?

Smartphones exist in a market of carrier subsidies. This means that it is practically impossible to compete on price. You can make the most expensive phone out there, and still sell it for $200. Also, with the necessity of a phone and data plan, price competition becomes even more difficult.

In my eyes, the only way this thing can compete (if at all), is if it is sold for Free on contract, with a $15/month data plan like ATT offers. People aren't stupid - if this sells for even $50 on contract, people will know that they could spend an extra $50 up front and get an iphone, and that cost will be negligible in the long run with the necessity of a data plan anyway.

why would this be successful if the Pixi wasnt?
    Similar to saying... In a world of large SUVs and pickup trucks why would anybody buy a Honda Civic? I'm starting to see quite a lot of people who are not buying smartphones because they think they are too big and bulky and they are still using feature phones which are more pocketable. So that is where the Veer comes in place. I can see a huge market and success for the Veer. Go HP Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Similar to saying... In a world of large SUVs and pickup trucks why would anybody buy a Honda Civic? I'm starting to see quite a lot of people who are not buying smartphones because they think they are too big and bulky and they are still using feature phones which are more pocketable. So that is where the Veer comes in place. I can see a huge market and success for the Veer. Go HP Palm!

With 50$ dollar iphones? LOLOLOL
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    The Veer is not DOA maybe you just dont want it but there are alot of people that dont want tree trunks sticking out of their pants....

Edit: Wait...umm... lol

Ok that was funny! But not everyone wants a huge phone. Feature wise there could have been better planning (like the missing 3.5 mm/adapter thingy)
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Pixi has a standard charging port and 3.5mm headset jack built in as it should. If we have to go back to carrying adapters, step backward.
    in a world of conductive charging, bluetooth, and nfc technology, using a standard charging port or 3.5mm headset jack is a step backward
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    The Veer is not DOA maybe you just dont want it but there are alot of people that dont want tree trunks sticking out of their pants....

Edit: Wait...umm... lol

Ok that was funny! But not everyone wants a huge phone. Feature wise there could have been better planning (like the missing 3.5 mm/adapter thingy)
    Tree trunks could be a new fashion statement.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So basically, the veer is for the niche market of people who wear skint-tight leather pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So basically, the veer is for the niche market of people who wear skint-tight leather pants.
    Finally I don't have to carry a purse around for my phone!
  16. SashoDikov
    the more i stay without 2.0 goodness on next-gen processors the more i want a veer - so if HPs marketing can work on a technogeek such as myself and claw away at my bigger is better mentality then i would say its doing a pretty good job...

I am getting the pre3 for sure though (unless getting the veer completely devalues this decision) and i really can't unload or sell the preplus im currently using (even though im banned from the app catalog completely) so i'm in dilemma, but a good one ;]

And people - complaining about standard inputs is like complaining that there is no wire between your touchstone and your phone, wireless is the future so go out and shell out on some BT headphones/handsfree (im getting a plantronics backbeat 903), i for one am tired of tangling wires ...
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Finally I don't have to carry a purse around for my phone!
    Thing is - while it's shorter than many slabs, it's also thicker, so you want to be careful where it provides a bulge - especially for the ladies out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Thing is - while it's shorter than many slabs, it's also thicker, so you want to be careful where it provides a bulge - especially for the ladies out there.
    Linking to an appropriate pic here would be terribly OT, so I'll refrain...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345