Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I do not understand the idea of producing a smartphone for people who don't want smartphones
    I understand this point but I think the idea is to figure a way in to this market because of its size. There are even rumors Apple is trying to do this too. Sometimes you have to create the demand before its there. Yes its risky but the payoff could be great if it works. There is the potential for failure but HP is a big enough company that they can afford to try. Getting as many people into the HP webos ecosystem justifies the production of the Veer. They hope it will attract the non-smartphone buying public because its not like the typical slab or business smartphone. Some manufacturer is going to make this work so why not it be HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomelessguy View Post
    Which is what a touchstone is for. The only time I use my Pre's charging port is to 1) doctor it or 2) sometimes it won't charge through the touchstone if it is 100% dead.
    But what if the touchstone doesn't come with the phone? That mean people have to pay extra just to solve the problem. Also it takes longer for the phone to charge with the touchstone rather than plugging it up.
    Did you see how quick the veer was though?! If my pixi ran that fast and had 512 mb of ram, I would be in heaven! The reason the pixi has a bad rep is because it is slow and it was originally marketed to moms.

if the keyboard of the veer is like the pixi then I think it will be amazing.

I will get the pre 3 because it looks like the veer isn't going to be cdma anytime soon, but it is a a screamer for it size. You can't deny that.

I'll pick one up eventually!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    But what if the touchstone doesn't come with the phone? That mean people have to pay extra just to solve the problem. Also it takes longer for the phone to charge with the touchstone rather than plugging it up.
    I really hope it does come with the touchstone.

Well, according to palms site, It doesn't. But I really hope that gets changed before release:

Palm USA | HP Veer Phone | Features, Details

"Touchstone
    Place your phone on the dock and it charges automatically.6 There’s nothing to plug in."
    "6. Sold separately"
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    Did you see how quick the veer was though?! If my pixi ran that fast and had 512 mb of ram, I would be in heaven! The reason the pixi has a bad rep is because it is slow and it was originally marketed to moms.

if the keyboard of the veer is like the pixi then I think it will be amazing.

I will get the pre 3 because it looks like the veer isn't going to be cdma anytime soon, but it is a a screamer for it size. You can't deny that.

I'll pick one up eventually!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I don't think the Pixi was advertised to moms.

A charging port is standard, plain and simple. Accessories are just that, accessories. When you have to take an accessory for charging, no thanks.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    A charging port is standard, plain and simple. Accessories are just that, accessories. When you have to take an accessory for charging, no thanks.
    You already take an accessory for charging. Its called a micro usb cord. Just plug this thing on the end and leave it there and it will be no different. I do agree it might be a deal breaker for someone but it'll end up just becoming a permanent part of your car charger or outlet charger. Really no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    You already take an accessory for charging. Its called a micro usb cord. Just plug this thing on the end and leave it there and it will be no different. I do agree it might be a deal breaker for someone but it'll end up just becoming a permanent part of your car charger or outlet charger. Really no big deal.
    The charger that comes bundled isn't microusb, it's that connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    It's in footnote 8 on the TouchPad page.

TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC
    Hope for HP's sake the phone itself doesn't become a footnote.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    The charger that comes bundled isn't microusb, it's that connector.
    Ah You're right. Thats even easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Ah You're right. Thats even easier.
    But what happens if it breaks. Now you have to pay for a new one that could cost a lot depending on how HP prices it.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    How much is the replacement if you lose it? MicroUSB chargers and cords are cheap online, but specialized parts like this?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    But what happens if it breaks. Now you have to pay for a new one that could cost a lot depending on how HP prices it.

We're thinking alike here.

Veer seems an inconvenience to me.

We will see cheap knock-offs on ebay like we always see with accessories.
    We're thinking alike here.

Veer seems an inconvenience to me.
    Lol. It really is an inconvenience. I think HP really missed up with this one.

I think if HP sells the Veer at best buy it would look kinda cool seeing a tiny smart phone in the middle of a sea of brick sized slab phones. It might catch a lot of people's attention. If I were an outdoors type person I would much rather carry a small phone like a veer while doing recreational things outdoors, etc.
    How much is the replacement if you lose it? MicroUSB chargers and cords are cheap online, but specialized parts like this?
    And the heaphone adapter is just one more thing to go wrong. If I read the article right and I am looking at the picture correctly, the headphone jack points down? Very strange setup. It reminds of that Youtube video being posted around here, the industry goes right and HP goes left. Good case to ditch wired headphones and go strictly bluetooth. Mater of fact, they should give a set of bluetooth stereo headphones with each veer.

I like the magnetic coupler idea, but not the headphone speed bump. Hopefully some enterprising third party company will come up with a connector that can charge and use the headphone simultaneously, if technically possible.

I guess case makers will making cases that include or not include protection for the speed bump LOL
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/12/2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    We will see cheap knock-offs on ebay like we always see with accessories.
    But doesn't that depend on if it is popular or not?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanJ01 View Post
    I was pretty surprised when Palm announced this today. I still just can't wrap my head around why they think this will be successful. Does Palm not realize the market that it is competing in?

Smartphones exist in a market of carrier subsidies. This means that it is practically impossible to compete on price. You can make the most expensive phone out there, and still sell it for $200. Also, with the necessity of a phone and data plan, price competition becomes even more difficult.

In my eyes, the only way this thing can compete (if at all), is if it is sold for Free on contract, with a $15/month data plan like ATT offers. People aren't stupid - if this sells for even $50 on contract, people will know that they could spend an extra $50 up front and get an iphone, and that cost will be negligible in the long run with the necessity of a data plan anyway.

why would this be successful if the Pixi wasnt?
    The Pixy did pretty well, truth be told.

Veer will do well too. better, I'd bet.

Don't want one, don't buy one....

I'll be glad when this place settles down....

Wish we could toss all these "doom and gloom" threads in a "general complains" / "whiners" thread?

But, back on topic, no, I don't think the Veer is "anything but DOA." - paired w/ a TouchPad, it's a great combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    The Pixy did pretty well, truth be told.

Veer will do well too. better, I'd bet.

Don't want one, don't buy one....

I'll be glad when this place settles down....

Wish we could toss all these "doom and gloom" threads in a "general complains" / "whiners" thread?

But, back on topic, no, I don't think the Veer is "anything but DOA." - paired w/ a TouchPad, it's a great combo.
    Forget the pairing, the phone needs to stand on it's own. I see this as a good women's phone, for those that would have brought a dumb phone, don't want a large phone like a BB or Slab type device, not thrilled with the iphone, want something that can fit in an evening bag etc. They can keep it right next to the lipstick and compact. LOL Damn, HP should put a mirror on the back! Then women can apply make up while on the phone!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast