Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98
  1. #41  
    The Veer isn't for me. But, I think it's the coolest little smart phone I've ever seen. I really think it could kick some **** if it's priced properly.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    The Veer isn't for me. But, I think it's the coolest little smart phone I've ever seen. I really think it could kick some **** if it's priced properly.
    Yeah, free!
  3. #43  
    Veer isn't for me either (pre 3 is my kind of phone), but it looks AMAZING, EXCEPT for the lack of headphone jack. The micro usb is NOT a deal breaker, since the average demographic doesn't care, but I have a much harder time recommending the phone, knowing that UGLY adapter is going to have to go on it. Also, lack of tap to share is lame.

    But, Is it just me, or was the veer the fastest looking webos device demoed? I think while the screen has something to do with it, it's mainly an optimization thing, because while the pre2's resolution is significantly higher, so is it's horsepower.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Yeah, free!
    Actually, I think it's got a better shot as a contract free phone. Sell it for $150-219. (i have no idea if that covers cost, but 150 is what the pre 1 cost to make.)

    For people on discount carriers like t-mobile in the states who don't like contracts, or even smaller ones like wind, and mobilicity in Canada (don't know the name of smaller providers in the states, or across Europe, but I think people get the point).

    Perhaps under a 1 year contract, although again, I doubt most carriers want subscribers on a one year contract.
  5. #45  
    I originally thought the Veer would fail but a day later I'm thinking HP might be on to something. They made a very powerful product for it's size. If they price it right, it could be a decent seller on AT&T. If it's the same price as those LG and Samsung texting phones(free or $50), it will move a lot of units cause it blows all those phones away. If it sits next iPhones and Android phones, it might not move as well. It's a smartphone but should be marketed as the best dumbphone on the planet.
  6. #46  
    The problem with the Veer is focus. HP is trying to find success, for the first time, in the smartphone market. They had no ability to do it internally, so they bought an existing company. Rather than focus their resources on putting out a product with the best chance of success, they are screwing around with the least successful model the company had to offer.

    They are wasting time going after the Pixi crowd, (is there really a crowd,) when they should be doubling down on the high-end smartphone buyer. That is where the money and the mindshare is. Also, that is where Apple is. They have made it clear they want to be where Apple is.

    The Veer is a cute little hobby of a niche device that HP simply doesn't have time for. While they are spending resources of money, engineers, and carrier relations trying to find a home for this device, the flagship device must languish until sometime in the vague summer. Which carrier will they burn with this who won't later carry the P3?

    This is yet another place where HP desperately needs someone with the ability to say, "No" to this sort of project.
  7. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #47  
    Umm, it does have Tap to Share.

    The Pre, Pre+, and Pre 2 don't.
  8. #48  
    I could see someone using the Veer with a 7 inch tablet.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Umm, it does have Tap to Share.

    The Pre, Pre+, and Pre 2 don't.
    are you sure, cause I recall reading it doesn't. And the feature is nowhere to be found on palms product page:

    Palm USA | HP Veer Phone | Features, Details

    compared to pre3

    Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details
  10. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    are you sure, cause I recall reading it doesn't. And the feature is nowhere to be found on palms product page:

    Palm USA | HP Veer Phone | Features, Details

    compared to pre3

    Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details
    It's in footnote 8 on the TouchPad page.

    TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    It's in footnote 8 on the TouchPad page.

    TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC
    Guess I was wrong.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The problem with the Veer is focus. HP is trying to find success, for the first time, in the smartphone market. They had no ability to do it internally, so they bought an existing company. Rather than focus their resources on putting out a product with the best chance of success, they are screwing around with the least successful model the company had to offer.

    They are wasting time going after the Pixi crowd, (is there really a crowd,) when they should be doubling down on the high-end smartphone buyer. That is where the money and the mindshare is. Also, that is where Apple is. They have made it clear they want to be where Apple is.

    The Veer is a cute little hobby of a niche device that HP simply doesn't have time for. While they are spending resources of money, engineers, and carrier relations trying to find a home for this device, the flagship device must languish until sometime in the vague summer. Which carrier will they burn with this who won't later carry the P3?

    This is yet another place where HP desperately needs someone with the ability to say, "No" to this sort of project.
    +1
  13. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Guess I was wrong.
    Hell, who knows. With all the contradictions and changing information, Footnote 8 and I may be just as wrong.
  14. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #54  
    The pixi was an upgrade for traditional business users who loved the Treo line.

    Treos got smaller and more powerful, then finally with the pixi had standard usb and a 3.5 headphone jack.


    The original pre didn't fit the bill being a slider. So reluctantly we moved to the pixi. The veer is not for me and is not an upgrade especially considrring it's thicker than pixi, smaller non-removable battery and no usb 3.5 jacks built in.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The problem with the Veer is focus. HP is trying to find success, for the first time, in the smartphone market. They had no ability to do it internally, so they bought an existing company. Rather than focus their resources on putting out a product with the best chance of success, they are screwing around with the least successful model the company had to offer.

    They are wasting time going after the Pixi crowd, (is there really a crowd,) when they should be doubling down on the high-end smartphone buyer. That is where the money and the mindshare is. Also, that is where Apple is. They have made it clear they want to be where Apple is.

    The Veer is a cute little hobby of a niche device that HP simply doesn't have time for. While they are spending resources of money, engineers, and carrier relations trying to find a home for this device, the flagship device must languish until sometime in the vague summer. Which carrier will they burn with this who won't later carry the P3?

    This is yet another place where HP desperately needs someone with the ability to say, "No" to this sort of project.
    I fully disagree with this idea. Most smartphones are not top of the line. Just look at the HTC and Motorola droid phones. They are all over the place feature wise from different screens, hdmit outputs, cameras,....etc. Because we are on a forum for tech geeks, we only pay attention to the most excting phones. The general consmer though isn't always looking at them that way. Actually most of the public doesn't even buy smartphones and that is market the Veer might work well in. The same group of people that would rather buy a Samsung Rant or Restore than an EVO which happens to be most phone buyers.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I fully disagree with this idea. Most smartphones are not top of the line. Just look at the HTC and Motorola droid phones. They are all over the place feature wise from different screens, hdmit outputs, cameras,....etc. Because we are on a forum for tech geeks, we only pay attention to the most excting phones. The general consmer though isn't always looking at them that way. Actually most of the public doesn't even buy smartphones and that is market the Veer might work well in.
    If the WP7 marketing is to be believed, they are going after that group. How's that working out for them? I do not understand the idea of producing a smartphone for people who don't want smartphones.

    The same group of people that would rather buy a Samsung Rant or Restore than an EVO which happens to be most phone buyers.
    Poor EVO. I had no idea it was getting its **** kicked by the Rant and Restore.
  17. #57  
    The no. 1 reason why Veer may not go over well:

    Hands-on with HP Veer's funky headphone adapter and clever charging plug | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

    Most current phones have 3.5mm jack and charging ports built in.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The no. 1 reason why Veer may not go over well:

    Hands-on with HP Veer's funky headphone adapter and clever charging plug | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

    Most current phones have 3.5mm jack and charging ports built in.
    the charging is irrelevant because most people don't care bout the charging when buying a phone.

    The audio jack is a big deal, but not as big as some make it out to be. The included headphones (Which a good percentage of people use), and you can leave the adapter attached to your headphones.
  19. #59  
    Most people may not think about charging until they lose that attachment when they need to charge. Then they realize all other phones have the port built in.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Most people may not think about charging until they lose that attachment when they need to charge. Then they realize all other phones have the port built in.
    Which is what a touchstone is for. The only time I use my Pre's charging port is to 1) doctor it or 2) sometimes it won't charge through the touchstone if it is 100% dead.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions