Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Veer is just dumb....this is America people!....Americans like big stuff this will never sell in say Texas...or Alabama...or New York City!!
    Is it? Oh, I didn't realise. And I don't remember even getting on a plane!
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I know this is anecdotal, but my fiance, for one, is absolutely besotted with the Veer.

Also, as a Star Wars fan, I could call it Colonel. Colonel Veer... aww nevermind.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    I could call it Colonel. Colonel Veer.
    You just sold me
    I think the Veer looks great and it may sell ok. I'd love to have one (though the screen size is a bit small). The Veer wasn't a mistake, the mistake was the lack of another form-factor (slab, or even a landscape slider...anything that looks new and different)
    I would never want it, but there is a market for such a device, it's just a niche one.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    It's not the pixi though, it's actually fast and usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by elslunko View Post
    It's not the pixi though, it's actually fast and usable.
    There are quite a few reasons why it wouldn't serve my needs. But for others I can see why it could be the perfect choice.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    1: HP sells to the entire world.

2: Even in the USA, there's a huge market for efficiency. "Sure, your iPhone is pretty... but my Veer's battery lasts all week."
    The problem that I see is that they don't sell webOS devices to the world. I am in Australia and there have been no official webOS devices sold here yet. We can get imports at a premium and outright price, but not from HP - Australia | Laptop Computers, Desktops , Printers, Servers and more and not with an app store catalog. I actually don't mind buying my devices outright, I just want to be able to buy them. I have owned Palm OS devices before, but are yet to own a webOS device, just because of the unofficial channels I must go through to get one.
    I currently have an iPhone 4 and iPad and are actually considering getting a Pre 3 and maybe a TouchPad, but I really want the app catalog to be available in Australia.

BTW, I know some people who want small phones and they are IT staff and not teens.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I would never want it, but there is a market for such a device, it's just a niche one.

Sent from my eVo
    The more I think about it the more I think that this is true. There would be a niche market for such a device.

I think ultimately what is making this device appear so strange is that it is one of only two devices in the palm/hp phone lineup. If there was the halo, 4" slab device as a third phone, then the Veer would make more sense as part of the whole lineup. But as it is now, it looks to be expected to pull half the weight of webOS phone sales.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    How are notifications suppose to work on this device, I know one of the issues with the Pre for many users was that on that small screen, notifications could quickly take up a lot of the screen. This is even smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    How are notifications suppose to work on this device, I know one of the issues with the Pre for many users was that on that small screen, notifications could quickly take up a lot of the screen. This is even smaller.
    Exactly like the pixi at first. Eventually they will add the "in context" notifications so that they can take advantage all of the cool notification stuff they added to the tablet.
    The notification stuff they added to the tablet is cool because it makes sense on a bigger screen. It wouldn't work on a small screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Veer is just dumb....this is America people!....Americans like big stuff this will never sell in say Texas...or Alabama...or New York City!!
    I live in Alabama and I would buy one to replace the Pixi that I currently use as a second phone.

Everyone doesn't want a gigantic slab to carry around as a phone all day. Many of us who use smartphones actually want something that fits comfortably in a pocket.
    Exactly what I was thinking, per OP. Did they not see the Kin fail like no other?!? Who asked for this thing? Pre cubed (what I'm calling it) is a decent spec'd device and replaces the original Pre's perfectly. But the Veer wasn't on anyone's wish list from what I've seen... I think we were all asking for a 4" slab for those of us not afraid of a virtual keyboard.
    what make the phone a fail is the headphone jack converter. The idea if I need to connect my phone to earphones or to a sound system and have to have this extra piece carrying around. I loved the pixi for it's design and keyboard (my wife has the pixi) it just needed to be bigger and I woud of went with that. The pre is small enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanJ01 View Post
    I was pretty surprised when Palm announced this today. I still just can't wrap my head around why they think this will be successful. Does Palm not realize the market that it is competing in?

Smartphones exist in a market of carrier subsidies. This means that it is practically impossible to compete on price. You can make the most expensive phone out there, and still sell it for $200. Also, with the necessity of a phone and data plan, price competition becomes even more difficult.

In my eyes, the only way this thing can compete (if at all), is if it is sold for Free on contract, with a $15/month data plan like ATT offers. People aren't stupid - if this sells for even $50 on contract, people will know that they could spend an extra $50 up front and get an iphone, and that cost will be negligible in the long run with the necessity of a data plan anyway.

why would this be successful if the Pixi wasnt?

Two things....

1. You are most likely not their market for the Veer so your opinion does not matter much.

2. Pixi was slow and poorly named or it would have sold better.
    Reason why the Veer will not be DOA: there aren't that many devices this size doing the same things, and it's here in time.
    Which could also be the reason why the Pre 3 and the TouchThat will be DOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Two things....

1. You are most likely not their market for the Veer so your opinion does not matter much.

2. Pixi was slow and poorly named or it would have sold better.
    Day 2 and there are only 30 threads on a brand new HP/Palm device on a forum devoted to WebOs. The reception here is luke warm. Luke warm here, how will that translate on launch?
    I think HP is trying to nab a niche market I'm not sure exists with this phone. What is the market for? People with really small hands?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I think HP is trying to nab a niche market I'm not sure exists with this phone. What is the market for? People with really small hands?
    I think the niche is very, very tiny, as well.

Sent from my eVo
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast