Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    If not for the "irregardless" I wouldve thanked your post
    You should thank him "irregardlessly".
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Gee, if I had known that, I would have epoxied my Pre battery into the phone so it couldn't be removed, thereby allowing it to hold its charge much longer!
    Geez! I've got to open my browser now, just to thank your post!!


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Geez! I've got to open my browser now, just to thank your post!!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    the battery is removable - it requires a special tool it seems that goes into a opening at the top of the device. The truth is more likely the thing is so packed that it needs extra caution to not destroy other parts.
    not exactly. That space at the top is thee slot for the SIM card.

    according to Palm the battery can be removed by a service with the right tools. I'm sure users will be figuring out how to do it themselves, but not just to drop in a fully charged battery in the middle of the day. No douvt is will involve glue, heat, and tools like the iPod or iPhone, or the Palm T|X.

    if they sell enough, some genious will figure out how to create a removable back, or even an extended battery...

    but if you use your phone enough that 5 hours of talk time isn't enough, this isn't the phone for you... You want a Pre2 or Pre3
  5. #25  
    One of the things that was cheered at the introduction of the Pre at CES 2009: the removable battery.

    But I have to say, I only have one battery and the only time I remove it is in the incredibly rare instance that a really odd bug has caused a major issue and won't go away. (Most of those instances were caused by me using non-standard stuff.) So if there is a way to do some kind of deep power cycle, my use case is covered with a non-removable.

    I think the primary benefit to a non-removable battery is space savings. They can just pack everything in tighter. I'm guessing with the footprint as small as it is on the Veer, they really needed that benefit in addition to the smaller battery and jettisoning the hard connections for micro-usb and headphones. I'm honestly having a hard time conceiving of the size, but it must be pretty small.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    according to Palm the battery can be removed by a service with the right tools. I'm sure users will be figuring out how to do it themselves,

    but if you use your phone enough that 5 hours of talk time isn't enough, this isn't the phone for you... You want a Pre2 or Pre3
    Yes, hopefully someone will figure it out. It wasn't so much the talk time that concerned me, it was the fact that batteries have a finite amount of charge cycles before they lose the ability to hold a decent charge.

    For example, my last 3 phones, Pre, Treo 800W and Centro all needed new batteries at some point that I owned them. If people were plan on getting a new phone each year or so, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    But I have to say, I only have one battery and the only time I remove it is in the incredibly rare instance that a really odd bug has caused a major issue and won't go away.
    Yes, that's another concern. Just last week, I got off work, noticed my phone was "dead" - the screen was black, would not come on. I tried resetting, had no luck. I had to pull the battery and then it rebooted fine.

    What's a Veer user going to do in a case like that? Is there a way to completely remove power from the phone to reset it without pulling the battery?
  7. #27  
    Yes. Unscrew the tip of your stylus and stick it into the little reset hole.

    Oops. Wrong device (and decade). Sorry.
  8. #28  
    funny all the bashing about this phone, but lets wait to have someone review and test the battery life and the phone out in detail before we make judgments, because they said the same thing about the centro and it was Palm's OS big seller.
  9.    #29  
    Plus sometimes I want to carry a spare battery along if I am in an airplane, for I play with the phone a lot.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  10. #30  
    You will either buy an external usb battery charger like most of my iPhone friends do, or you will be buying something other than the Veer. I'll bet that the rumored mini-iPhone won't have a replaceable battery, either. The Pre3 or Pre2 will be better for those of us that need to swap batteries. That's essential to me. But everyone else in the family has never even thought about swapping to a spare battery. Depends on their use.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    funny all the bashing about this phone, but lets wait to have someone review and test the battery life and the phone out in detail before we make judgments, because they said the same thing about the centro and it was Palm's OS big seller.
    I agree. The specs rate the Pixi and Veer to be the same for standby and times.

    That makes sense, because it's the same screen but a more efficient (and faster) CPU.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post

    Yes, that's another concern. Just last week, I got off work, noticed my phone was "dead" - the screen was black, would not come on. I tried resetting, had no luck. I had to pull the battery and then it rebooted fine.

    What's a Veer user going to do in a case like that? Is there a way to completely remove power from the phone to reset it without pulling the battery?
    It will probably use the powerswitch-3-times-really-fast, or maybe have a reset button hidden some where...

    And it will definitely be replaceable as a spare part as the battery wears out.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    funny all the bashing about this phone, but lets wait to have someone review and test the battery life and the phone out in detail before we make judgments, because they said the same thing about the centro and it was Palm's OS big seller.
    I don't remember anyone bashing the Centro because they couldn't replace the battery.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Plus sometimes I want to carry a spare battery along if I am in an airplane, for I play with the phone a lot.
    For that specific situation, I suggest a portable battery charger. They aren't practical for day-to-day use (at least not for me anyway) but they are perfect for cases like this one. You would not have to stop what you are doing to power down the device and replace the battery. You simply plug it in and keep going. Most of these devices can fit in your pocket (not comfortably) and provide 50+ hours of extra battery life. I have one that I use when I'm on long flights or very long bike rides (especially since I'm streaming or playing music over bluetooth and using a GPS intensive tracking program). Those battery hungry activities can do in your phone on a 6-hour bike ride.
  15. h-cubed's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't remember anyone bashing the Centro because they couldn't replace the battery.
    Probably not because the battery was replaceable. The Tungsten T|X battery was not however but that device ran like a Olympic Gold Medalist and had a solid hardware build! I loved it!

    Now if HP makes a new Tungsten with a modern re-design, WebOS and a horizontal Keyboard I'd be ALL over that!

    Yea your welcome HP! lol
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think the primary benefit to a non-removable battery is space savings. They can just pack everything in tighter. I'm guessing with the footprint as small as it is on the Veer, they really needed that benefit in addition to the smaller battery and jettisoning the hard connections for micro-usb and headphones. I'm honestly having a hard time conceiving of the size, but it must be pretty small.
    It should also make the device sturdier to prevent twisting/creaking while typing. it's like holding the battery cover of the Centro (not the phone, just the cover). Tiny.

    Here is a pic showing it next to someone's Pre minus and a credit card. It is just slightly larger than the LCD area of the Pre, and thinner than a pre. If you put a credit card on the screen of your Pre, you will get a sense of the dimensions.



    Note to HP: Stop making glossy black plastic things that are fingerprint magnets...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/14/2011 at 12:01 PM.
  17. h-cubed's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    #37  
    Note to HP: Stop making glossy black plastic things that are fingerprint magnets...
    Amen to that sir!
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
  18. #38  
    Yes, the Veer is the first phone from Palm that didn't have a swappable battery. The first PDA that didn't have a removable battery was the PalmV, and I was furious because I couldn't use the AA Ni-cads any more... my how times have changed.

    As a side note... not only is the Centro battery replaceable, but it works nicely in the Pre. As a bonus that makes my Centro a handy external battery charger...
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yes, the Veer is the first phone from Palm that didn't have a swappable battery. The first PDA that didn't have a removable battery was the PalmV, and I was furious because I couldn't use the AA Ni-cads any more... my how times have changed.

    As a side note... not only is the Centro battery replaceable, but it works nicely in the Pre. As a bonus that makes my Centro a handy external battery charger...
    The Treo 180, 180g, 270, 300, and 600 all had batteries that you couldn't swap out without a tork screw driver. Of course that was because Palm OS didn't have support for any device with a removable battery.

    It's not a huge deal that a consumer grade phone is going to have a sealed in battery. ppl will just carry the charger or a micro USB cable in their bags. iPhone users have been doing it for years and it has become socially aceptable.

    Also, having a touchstone will make a big difference in how ppl charge their phones.

    Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    funny all the bashing about this phone, but lets wait to have someone review and test the battery life and the phone out in detail before we make judgments, because they said the same thing about the centro and it was Palm's OS big seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't remember anyone bashing the Centro because they couldn't replace the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Probably not because the battery was replaceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    As a side note... not only is the Centro battery replaceable, but it works nicely in the Pre.
    I think you guys missed my point. I know the Centro's battery is replaceable. My complaint about the Veer is that the battery is not replaceable. The Poster that I quoted said that the people that are bashing the Veer said the same thing about the Centro.

    I simply pointed out the fact that nobody bashed the Centro because they could not replace the battery....because they obviously can.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions