Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have the Pixi -- essentially same screen size and similar small keyboard (without the slider feature) as the Veer. It's great as a smart phone, maybe less browser focused than 4" screens. The Pixi is remarkably easy to type on and I'm a fair sized guy at 6' 1" and 200 lbs. I like the small pocketable size. The Veer is the perfect complement to the Touchpad. I see deals offering them as a team for one price, one contract, one data connection. When you need a bigger screen you have the Touchpad. You can go minimalist with full smartphone webOS power in a small package when you need to. Think of all the data only connection devices sold. This is only a bit larger than some laptop wi-fi modems and smaller than many mobile hotspots plus it adds phone functionality. The Veer is a device to sell Touchpads because it will stay in the pocket a lot of the time when people are "screen" focused on the tablet. Don't need a 4" screen and a 10" screen. I think it's brilliant. Focusing on the phone alone without seeing the integration misses the minimalist, elegant, integrated system approach that we all supposedly love about the webOS interface. More is less when carrying two devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthemPixi View Post
    I have the Pixi -- essentially same screen size and similar small keyboard (without the slider feature) as the Veer. It's great as a smart phone, maybe less browser focused than 4" screens. The Pixi is remarkably easy to type on and I'm a fair sized guy at 6' 1" and 200 lbs. I like the small pocketable size. The Veer is the perfect complement to the Touchpad. I see deals offering them as a team for one price, one contract, one data connection. When you need a bigger screen you have the Touchpad. You can go minimalist with full smartphone webOS power in a small package when you need to. Think of all the data only connection devices sold. This is only a bit larger than some laptop wi-fi modems and smaller than many mobile hotspots plus it adds phone functionality. The Veer is a device to sell Touchpads because it will stay in the pocket a lot of the time when people are "screen" focused on the tablet. Don't need a 4" screen and a 10" screen. I think it's brilliant. Focusing on the phone alone without seeing the integration misses the minimalist, elegant, integrated system approach that we all supposedly love about the webOS interface. More is less when carrying two devices.
    Problem is, the Veer doesn't have the touch to share functionality.
    Well, I know ONE person who will enjoy the tiny Veer!

Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But it does have wi-fi hotspot and the inherent syncing between my cloud-based services. I like Touch-to-Share, and it might be a reason to get the Pre3, but it's not a deal breaker for me with the Veer. I picked the Pixi over the Pre because I liked the smaller form factor. My wife is the one that thinks the Pixi's screen is too small. It's worked fine for me with easy resizing in the browser. I'll be inclined to pick the Veer paired with the Touchpad. My wife has to carry a work laptop. For her, the Pre3 probably makes more sense.

In any case, my point stands. The Pixi's (and hence the similarly sized Veer's) keyboard is easier to type on than you would think due to the raised profile of the keys, the good tactile feedback and the spacing between keys. I hate the little Android and even BlackBerry keyboards as they seem more densely packed together even when the total keyboard area is larger. The spacing between keys on the webOS phones makes it far easier for me and reduces errors. When texting, I'm using two thumbs and essentially striking with the lower corner of the thumb nails.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes it does.

Palm USA | HP TouchPad | Features, Details

8. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Well I hope you're right, I was going by:

HP Veer hands-on | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

then again, the Veer also doesn't have the communication coil of the Pre 3, meaning you won't be able to touch-to-share with the TouchPad as you might want. Sorry.
    Veer doesn't make sense to me. Sure its height/width are small, but it is over 50% thicker than an iphone (or the pixi). Thickness is the single most important dimension for pocketability. They are arguing its viability as an easily pocketable phone, but it is a step in the wrong direction for that. Pre3 should be nearly equal on pocketability, it is essentially the same thickness and its height/width aren't ridiculous or anything. They really overlap too much on form factor here, a super slim (but still decent size screen) slab or candybar would of been much better complement to the pre3.
    It's not 50% thicker than a pixi. here are the specs:

Pixi:
    Width: 55.0mm (2.17 inches)
    Height: 111.0mm (4.37 inches)
    Thickness: 10.85mm (0.43 inches)

Veer:
    Width: 54.5mm (2.15 inches)
    Height: 84.0mm (3.31 inches)
    Thickness: 15.1mm (0.59 inches)

So, it is only about one tenth of an inch thicker, but it is over an inch shorter and a tad slimmer.
    Last edited by bradleyj; 02/16/2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: edited to add actual specs
    Uhh...

10 + 50% = 15.

Math wasn't your best subject was it?
    10.85*1.5=16.275

16.275-15.1= 1.175

15.1/10.85 = 1.39 or 39% Thicker not 50%
    Last edited by Titan078; 02/17/2011 at 02:47 AM.
    OK Mr. Precision.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    You cant call someone out because of their math and be wrong. Its like a rule of trolling.
    Yeah, whatever. If you can't see that 50% was a rough estimate or how it was determined... (hint: I wrote it out, and my math was not wrong)

But clearly I am the troll.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Yeah, whatever. If you can't see that 50% was a rough estimate or how it was determined... (hint: I wrote it out, and my math was not wrong)

But clearly I am the troll.
    Math was wrong. 3rd grade math teaches one that if you are going to round 10.85 then its 11 not 10....

So for a rough estimate it would have been 15/11= 1.364 or 36% thicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    IMHO the Veer keyboard is better than the Centro, and on par with the Blackberry Curve.. Small, but really easy to type on. Really felt like the keyboard on my Blackberry Curve.

And the Pre3 keyboard is huge/awesome/etc...
    I am so jealous right now.
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgil View Post
    Only at GSM phone. What a disappointment.
    Nah CDMA networks are disappointments. GSM rules, especially when you start traveling a lot.
    I see the Veer as the perfect tablet companion. I admit my flaw is I love to lug around too many gadgets (which I rarely use) - last week I was bringing into work my pre-, pre2, and Foleo. For non-disfunctional people, a small wifi hotspot/phone device, with a 10 inch screen/keyboard is perfect.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Veer has wifi.
    Not only does it have WiFi, but the FCC clearance says it has WiFi N (even though the Palm site did not mention it)
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 02/17/2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    What's wifi N

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast