Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I had to Doctor my HP Touchpad and install webOS version 3.0.5, but now Preware isn't installing, it says it is, but it never finishes in WebOS Quick Install.

    Someone help.

    Why won't Preware install on my HP Touchpad?


    Edit: Actually it looks like nothing is being installed on WebOS Quick Install. Why is nothing installing???
  2. #2  
    You need to use the latest version of Webos quick install, since the feeds changed. Which version are you trying to use ?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    You need to use the latest version of Webos quick install, since the feeds changed. Which version are you trying to use ?
    What is the latest version of WebosQuickInstall? Can you give a link to a download for the latest version of WebosQuickInstall?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Which version are you trying to use ?
    What is the latest version of WebosQuickInstall?

    version 4.6.0?


    I'm using version 4.6.0
    Last edited by rockpebble; 08/25/2017 at 07:21 PM.
  5. #5  
    Here is a guide: Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

    I'm pretty sure the version is right. I think it installs the novacom drivers automatically, but it might just be for windows. There is a standalone program which will do the drivers for other systems.

    Note step 4: Dev mode. Maybe step 7 also.

    What computer (PC) are you using?

    What is the OS? 32 or 64bit?

    Are you sure your USB cable is good?

    Does WOSQI detect the device?

    What error messages do you see?

    Any other symptoms?

    The more detailed your report on what you are doing and seeing, the faster the experts can guess what the actual problem is.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/25/2017 at 07:40 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Note step 4: Dev mode. Maybe step 7 also.

    What computer (PC) are you using?

    What is the OS? 32 or 64bit?

    Are you sure your USB cable is good?

    Does WOSQI detect the device?

    What error messages do you see?

    Any other symptoms?

    The more detailed your report on what you are doing and seeing, the faster the experts can guess what the actual problem is.
    Dev Mode is turned on.

    I'm using a Apple Mac computer

    64 bit

    The cable is good.

    Yes, WOSQI detects the device.

    I don't see any error messages, nothing ever installs even though it says it is installing.

    No other symptoms I know of.



    What do you think is the problem?
  7. #7  
    Which version number of wosqi are you using ?

    you need to use this version
    WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0

    ps
    which version of java do you have installed ?
    Last edited by mazzinia; 08/26/2017 at 07:52 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Which version number of wosqi are you using ?
    I have version 4.6.0 of WOSQI.

    I have Java 8 Update 144.
  9. #9  
    I see.
    remove java 8, and install java 7.
    wosqi has big issues with any java past version 7
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    remove java 8, and install java 7.

    How do I remove Java 8?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    I see.
    remove java 8, and install java 7.
    wosqi has big issues with any java past version 7
    Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

    Java 8 was released in 2014 and I have been using WOSQI since 2015 without issue until now.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockpebble View Post
    Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

    Java 8 was released in 2014 and I have been using WOSQI since 2015 without issue until now.
    It's worth reading the WOSQI thread from the link Mazzinia posted above as there are various problems and solutions there. Whatever your actual issue is it may be mentioned there. You are in dev mode, you didn't set the TP as a USB drive. Have you checked the Novacom service is running? (I don't know how this is done on a Mac)

    Issues with Java 8 are mentioned here: WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0

    It shouldn't be too difficult to downgrade to java 7. If it doesn't work, you can just re-install 8 or even update to 8 again once you have Preware on board.

    I put 'uninstall java 8 mac' into a search engine. How do I uninstall Java on my Mac?
    rockpebble likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Issues with Java 8 are mentioned here: WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0

    It shouldn't be too difficult to downgrade to java 7. If it doesn't work, you can just re-install 8 or even update to 8 again once you have Preware on board.
    But I have been using WOSQI with Java 8 for the past couple of years, why is it all of a sudden not working?
  14. #14  
    ah erm.... in this case I think he has a point, preemptive.

    So, lets recap :
    1) it used to work on the mac, before doctoring the touchpad
    2) the only difference from before to now, is the webos version

    2.1 question : how long ago did you last use wosqi successfully on the mac ( approximatively )
    2.1 b : I assume nothing in the OS and/or the java version changed since that time

    3) the touchpad is in developer mode
    4) the touchpad is not in usb mode

    5 question : wosqi can open a command line window on the touchpad , if selecting the option ?
    Last edited by mazzinia; 08/26/2017 at 11:09 AM.
    rockpebble likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    2.1 question : how long ago did you last use wosqi successfully on the mac ( approximatively )
    I used WOSQI several months ago, honestly probably in 2016 last.


    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    2.1 b : I assume nothing in the OS and/or the java version changed since that time
    You might be onto something there, I have downloaded and installed a number of things. I can name most of the things I downloaded and installed if you want me to.
    Also, I have upgraded my OS a few times, now it's at macOS 10.12.6, the latest version of macOS Sierra.


    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    5 question : wosqi can open a command line window on the touchpad , if selecting the option ?
    I'm sorry, what do you mean by this question? what option are you talking about?
  16. #16  
    Wosqi : Tools menu : Linux commandline opens a terminal window on the connected and selected webos device

    This said, any change since 2016 to the OS may be affecting either novacom OR java.
    I would suggest to reinstall novacom, and if nothing changes, to give it a try to downgrading java ( or reinstalling java ). But downgrading to 7 would be safer
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Wosqi : Tools menu : Linux commandline opens a terminal window on the connected and selected webos device
    Yes, I am able to open a command line on my mac for the HP Touchpad.

    What now?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    you didn't set the TP as a USB drive
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    4) the touchpad is not in usb mode
    I would just like to let you both know, I was doing it wrong the entire time. I didn't put the HP Touchpad in "Just Charge" mode, I put it into "USB mode", you guys were right, sorry for any and all confusion.

    Thank you again. I will get back to you both if I have any problems if that is okay with you.
  19. #19  
    In both giving and receiving instructions, it's very easy to miss or skip a minor step. The good thing here is that it was a small, missed thing. Though annoying, it's better than having to dig into your system trying to find some obscure bug or conflict that stops you in your tracks.

    I hope I can sit down and sort my devices out - I should try the new browser.
  20. #20  
    all is well that ends well, as they say
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Network Time not keeping clocks accurate
    By Chris Holst in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11/23/2017, 10:44 AM
  2. Not been here for a few years
    By demagbk10 in forum LuneOS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07/18/2017, 03:30 PM
  3. preware quit working
    By reggieb in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07/05/2017, 09:13 PM
  4. WebOS Emulator: Installing Preware doesn't work
    By jray4559 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06/25/2017, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions