Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
    Tried and tested it yesterday. Must say I didn't expect it to work as well as it does

Just some pointers:
    * The GUI (non-HTML stuff) works faster than most webOS apps.
    * Scrolling is a bit slow but survivable.
    * It seems to be close to stable.
    * Zooming in gives errors (but no dump) when you go to far. (I guess it's a memory thing, as very large images give the same 'loading' problem)
    * I wish I could turn off tabs as in the standard browser. (Tabs are great on the desktop, but somehow no-tabs works better on mobile devices.....hate it on android )
    * Made my day!!!

J
    Running a Pre 3 (daily driver), Pre (advanced alarm clock), Touchpad 32GB with Android (hate it), Touchpad 64GB Panda with WebOS, and a Veer (for my wife).
    Misj' and Preemptive like this.
    Time to post , too.

Trying it on a Go , 3.0.5

-It's fast, as others mentioned
    -Autorotation doesn't work
    -managed to use a quite heavy as scripts website... it's behaving better than on k-meleon, I think
    -Youtube ... to me seems working without frames issues. I tried user posted videos, and it's all synched, audio+video
    -screen doesn't turn off unless pressing the on/off button (thing that I think is not so bad, at least if watching a video)

A really exceptionally good job.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Great work, very promising ! Many thanks !
    I've kept an eye on govnah with the browser on.

battery fluctuates between 600 and 710.
    ram goes up to 786.
    load average is around 2.5
    2nd core is used not constantly and not a lot.

Ram goes to 605 once the browser is closed

Isn't it borderline , 180mb , to be actually an option also on the phones ?
    Last edited by mazzinia; 08/25/2017 at 02:26 PM.
    gazaud likes this.
    Be careful with QupZilla settings ! My Touchpad (v. 3.0.5, LunaCE, 32 GB) crashed after creating 2 new default directories for CACHE under media/internal and for DOWNLOADS under media /internal/downloads. The device frozen, I restarted it and now I have the HP logo in boot loop. I'll probably have to do a webOSDr.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaud View Post
    Be careful with QupZilla settings ! My Touchpad (v. 3.0.5, LunaCE, 32 GB) crashed after creating 2 new default directories for CACHE under media/internal and for DOWNLOADS under media /internal/downloads. The device frozen, I restarted it and now I have the HP logo in boot loop. I'll probably have to do a webOSDr.
    Very sorry to hear this. I have two guesses why this could have happened: 1. Storage space left. 2. If cache directory is set to /media/internal, it could be cleared. I think the best way to investigate boot loop is to read /var/log/messages using novacom/novaterm.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Isn't it borderline , 180mb , to be actually an option also on the phones ?
    I think we can try it on phones as well. The main problem *I think* is handling keyboard in qt platform plugin: all those shift/sym key single presses/hold, special characters etc. For me it would take very long time to implement because USB port on my pre3 is broken, and developing would be a pain. Also some work may be needed to adapt qupzilla's desktop UI for phones.
    I have 16 GB of free space on the USB partition but it's not a big deal considering the potential of this browser. I have already "doctored" my TP. Thanks and Keep on!
    mmm

where does it writes the cache data by default, without touching the settings ?
    cache and downloads are by default stored in the app's own directory. I've set it to internal without any problems though (1.7gb free space at most).
    Well, maybe it would be cleaner, if picking a permanent different location, to use

/media/internal/appdata/com.nizovn.qupzilla

since this directory is created automatically either during installation or the first launch
    Preemptive likes this.
  11.    #31  
    Well, maybe it would be cleaner, if picking a permanent different location, to use

since this directory is created automatically either during installation or the first launch
    Thanks, I didn't know about this. Good idea indeed, it can be used e.g. for storing profile there.
    Preemptive and gazaud like this.
    I'm kinda missing my right-mouse-click; because I haven't found a way to open a link in new tab. I always expect that to be available when I tap-and-hold, but that doesn't bring up de right-mouse-menu. It's a minor complaint, but I noticed it while testing things.
    Greetings from my QupZilla install! I will now give it a test drive!
    Misj' likes this.
    update

tried web.skype.com and the result is weird. letters on the page are not rendered (missing fonts), the login field is like inserting in a different locale ( try writing there mazzini_alessandro2 and you will understand.
    feels using a right to left input

and it broke the rendering in the other tabs (no refreshes)

Remember, folders starting with a dot (.) aren't indexed/shown in the image-viewer, while folders that don't are. So the above folder would show images in the cache as (indexed) multi-media. I do not consider that a big problem (actually I think it's kinda fun). But it might be relevant to some people.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I'm reminded to report.

The browser crashed 2 or 3 times (locks up). I think it was when I typed into the address bar. I don't mean that this automatically causes a crash, but I suspect maybe the browser was doing something else and typing caused a conflict - of maybe the VKB is where the problem is - I notice it pops up and disappears on start up.

Mostly it's fairly stable. I like selecting text by swiping across it with my finger. I've never liked how webOS 3 does text selection - so fiddly.

Yes, the scrolling is slightly lumpy, but not horrific. If I get impatient, it will sometimes get stuck, then jumps to the end of the page, so I guess there's a 'buffering' problem there.

It is basically a desktop browser, but I like that as I can configure it a bit. As mentioned above, there's no 'right-click' option or the equivalent of the stock browser's tap & hold pop up menu to open a new card, which is odd in a tabbed browser. I constantly send links to a new tab on desktop (at least 70 open right now) and new cards on webOS, so that would be a great option if it is possible. Standard pop up options to cut and paste are also missing as far as I can see.

I set the downloads folder to media/internal/downloads

What's interesting is that although this browser is many more times HTML 5 compliant than the stock, that means compliant with the latest bells and whistles. Most HTML is fairly standard and of course the stock browser can handle a fair amount of Javascript. It's not as outdated as the numbers would suggest. For a smooth experience, the stock browser is fine for casual web viewing. The good thing about Qupzilla at the moment is that is there for the fancy sites that break the old browser. With a couple of tweaks, I'd be looking for the patch that would enable me to set it as the default web app.

This is really amazing work by Nivozn - including building on the work to bring Qt5 to webOS, which may allow other developments in future.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/01/2017 at 09:34 AM.
    Tried to install this on a pre3. It comes up with just a black screen. The black screen registers touch, but that is all it ever does. You can minimize the card, and it is a nice black card. Go back to it, again, just black, registers touch. Kill the card and run it again, same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Tried to install this on a pre3. It comes up with just a black screen. The black screen registers touch, but that is all it ever does. You can minimize the card, and it is a nice black card. Go back to it, again, just black, registers touch. Kill the card and run it again, same thing.
    Though it is theoretically possible to get this on the Pre3, it's currently built for the TouchPad - this is stated in the first post. It is not optimised for the tablet (could do with couple of tweaks to the UI), but it's advantage is handling modern websites using HTML5 and lots of javascript. The plumbing underneath should also allow a port of the LuneOS browser.

Try it on your TouchPad. One other thing: I notice that my TP doesn't sleep unless the app is minimised.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/12/2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: in > is
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    As Preemtive has said, qupzilla is available for TP only for now. However, pre3 support was recently added to qt5 plugin (see source repository).
    So, with updated plugin qupzilla works on pre3, and, in my opinion, scrolling feels even a bit faster than on TP. GUI is unusable (too tiny), though.
    If you want to try it, replace /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.nizovn.qupzilla/runtime/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqwebos.so with libqwebos.so.

Enabling screen timeout doesn't seem to work on TP (PDL_ScreenTimeoutEnable() is deprecated), but on pre3 it works, and power users can enable it by setting environment variable (it's disabled by default for consistency).
    Hello from Qupzilla on the pre3. It works suprisingly well. some tweaks and this will be huge, adding a huge amount of functionality back to my pre3. this is amazing!!!

So after some testing, it's nice. A few things that if someone wants to work on it for the phone would be nice. Fist is of course it would be nice if we could use the interface. Not having a back button really sucks. Also, no rotation on the phone. I have no idea if it does on the touchpad, but it doesnt rotate at all on the phone. I truly hope someone would be willing to make this useable on the pre3. It would make using the pre3 so much nicer because it would be able to render websites again!
    Last edited by creepingmee; 09/12/2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Preemptive and Grabber5.0 like this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast