Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daphcuot
  1.    #1  
    I have a Touchpad collecting dust and am trying to find out if it can be used with any of the popular streaming services?

If I install Android, will I be able to use the apps for Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc?
    Netflix worked fine for me once I installed Android on my main TP. It has been awhile though as I lost that TP ( Still bummed) I'm not sure how much the app has been updated since and if the TP can still handle the streaming load. I found though that battery life was not as good as the WebOS side and ended making sure to switch back over to recharge. To make life easier and remain in WebOS land I have been using my other TP's, along with Kalemsoft Media Player and just dump as many videos as I can fit on there and that has worked quite well and battery life is better since you can turn off WiFi. Kalemsoft still sells it on their website. Though it is $7 it is one of the best video players I have used WebOS or otherwise as it has played any video I have thrown at it and you can even set up streaming from your local PC.
    I still use mine everyday for just those purposes. Netflix, You Tube, Slingbox (and others) all work great on my TP. I can also stream them to my smart TV's if I want to.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    You may need to find and older version of Netflix to get it to work under android on the the touchpad. Netfilx now blocks content to rooted devices. I recently rolled back my touchpad to android 4.4 and when Netflix was reinstalled it didn't run. I haven't tried to get it working yet so there may be somethings one can do. Maybe someone will make a "xposed" hack to fix it.
    Last edited by namgod; 08/22/2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: broken english
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3 > Galaxy S7 edge
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    You may need to find and older version of Netflix to get it to work under android on the the touchpad. Netfilx now blocks content to rooted devices. I recently rolled back my touchpad to android 4.4 and when Netflix was reinstalled it didn't run. I haven't tried to get it working yet so there may be somethings one can do. Maybe someone will make a "xposed" hack to fix it.
    FWIW, I was able to get it to run under 4.4 following the advice contained in the last post (#4) of this XDA thread:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...4-4-4-t2831321

It still runs on my TP reasonably well apart from some occasional buffering and the fact that using the search function will immediately crash the app.

On the WebOS side the Kalemsoft player still does DLNA/UPNP perfectly well.
    namgod likes this.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Good Research. That info works for me too. Thanks
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3 > Galaxy S7 edge