Results 1 to 3 of 3
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    OK, I seem to have a different certificate error than everyone else that has posted about these. When I browse to just about any web page on my touch pad, I get a message:

    The security certificate [cert] sent could not be read completely...

    I have tried searching preware and installing anything related to certificates. I donwloaded Open SSL (NOTE: There is a post about an OpenSSL updater app that you can get from preware, but I have nothing in preware called OpenSSL updater, but I do have something just called OpenSSL - is that the right application?)

    I am able to reproduce this in the stock browser, advanced browser, and ISIS browser (what an unfortunate name). LuneOS has a functioning browser, but only like 2 other apps. I've thought about developing a couple, but don't have a ton of time right now, and they seem to be in the process of picking a new framework to develop native apps, so I am going to hold off for now.

    Is there anyone else that has run in to this? If not, I guess I should do a reset or something on it.

    UPDATE: As of this morning, I am getting an SSL error trying to install anything from preware, hopefully installing OpenSSL in an attempt to fix my browser issue didn't cause this.

    UPDATE 2: I am only getting that with some preware packages. I did find that I get the same error with the HERE maps application, so it's definitely a system wide issue reading certificates.
    Last edited by reggieb; 07/05/2017 at 04:06 PM.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    OK, I seem to have a different certificate error than everyone else that has posted about these. When I browse to just about any web page on my touch pad, I get a message:

    The security certificate [cert] sent could not be read completely...
    I've not heard of this error. Maybe others have. Maybe your local cert store is corrupted?

    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I have tried searching preware and installing anything related to certificates. I donwloaded Open SSL (NOTE: There is a post about an OpenSSL updater app that you can get from preware, but I have nothing in preware called OpenSSL updater, but I do have something just called OpenSSL - is that the right application?)
    In my signature links there is a 'Service Pack' one. In the thread, a link to the SSL updater. IIRC, I ask a question on that SSL thread and it is confirmed that there is a separate OSSL available for optware (which isn't what you want in this case). The OSSL update needs to be installed carefully and is classed as alpha quality by it's developer - so Alpha feeds need to be enabled and this is a bit involved to prevent the unwary from damaging their systems.

    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I am able to reproduce this in the stock browser, advanced browser, and ISIS browser (what an unfortunate name). LuneOS has a functioning browser, but only like 2 other apps. I've thought about developing a couple, but don't have a ton of time right now, and they seem to be in the process of picking a new framework to develop native apps, so I am going to hold off for now.

    Is there anyone else that has run in to this? If not, I guess I should do a reset or something on it.
    I'm not aware of any issues of this nature affecting LuneOS. Not sure why it's mentioned. I think the issue is partly due to age (of the root certs) and the the SSL function for SHA256 certs doesn't seem to be properly implemented on legacy webOS. The update fixes the latter problem and there is a seperate root cert package for the former.

    Remember there is no longer any remote back up & restore and if you plan to reset or doctor you should back up manually. See the back up link below. It's a hassle, but it's your data. USB partition should be OK, but copy that also to be safe.

    I'm far from an expert on all this, so read the original sources carefully to double check what you are doing.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/05/2017 at 09:00 PM.
    MudShark22 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I've not heard of this error. Maybe others have. Maybe your local cert store is corrupted?



    In my signature links there is a 'Service Pack' one. In the thread, a link to the SSL updater. IIRC, I ask a question on that SSL thread and it is confirmed that there is a separate OSSL available for optware (which isn't what you want in this case). The OSSL update needs to be installed carefully and is classed as alpha quality by it's developer - so Alpha feeds need to be enabled and this is a bit involved to prevent the unwary from damaging their systems.


    I'm not aware of any issues of this nature affecting LuneOS. Not sure why it's mentioned. I think the issue is partly due to age (of the root certs) and the the SSL function for SHA256 certs doesn't seem to be properly implemented on legacy webOS. The update fixes the latter problem and there is a seperate root cert package for the former.

    Remember there is no longer any remote back up & restore and if you plan to reset or doctor you should back up manually. See the back up link below. It's a hassle, but it's your data. USB partition should be OK, but copy that also to be safe.

    I'm far from an expert on all this, so read the original sources carefully to double check what you are doing.
    Well, enabling alpha feeds did the trick. Interestingly, I still get that message, but now sites that gave me that prompt maybe a dozen times when I load them give it to me once. Weird.

    I have a whole lot more packages available now in preware, that's for sure.

    All that aside, the LuneOS reference was just to explain why I don't consider using LuneOS to be a viable alternative, and why I want the built in webOS browser to work correctly.

    UPDATE: Well, other sites are still behaving poorly, having to repeatedly accept cert after cert. ugh.
    Last edited by reggieb; 07/05/2017 at 10:52 PM.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/08/2017, 11:26 PM
  2. HP TouchPad server error
    By carrie orleman in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01/18/2017, 04:53 PM
  3. pivotCE: The webOS browser is aging but whose fault is it?
    By Preemptive in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12/06/2016, 07:04 PM
  4. Using Facebook in the browser
    By PrePixiLove in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10/19/2016, 11:55 PM
  5. Browser Memory Leak on webOS 1.x?
    By PrePixiLove in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09/29/2016, 07:28 AM

Posting Permissions