Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 5 Post By briest
  • 1 Post By briest
  1.    #1  
    Hi. I know this question might be irrelevant since they closed down the cloud services.. but can someone help me with this question? DId webos backup allow backups of pictures such as screenshots ? thank you!!
    Hi,
    I don't think so - possibly contact thumbnails, but maybe not even that. Pictures from the cameras are actually quite large, so someone taking a lot could use up a lot of server space. I know the iphone now can back up automatically to icloud, but I don't know if there are additional costs for that (or past a certain volume).

Anyhow, photos are easily copied off via the USB connection to a computer. The are in the DCIM folder. Other folders for things like screenshots, wall papers and some app photos can be found - the categories in the Photos app can give you an idea of where to look.

A link on manually backing up can be found in the signature. On Windows, I used to use an app called SyncToy to transfer only updated files (saves time and the life of SSDs). I think rSync on Linux is similar, but haven't really tried it much.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/04/2017 at 11:47 AM.
    revivethelion likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much Preemptive! Your comment refers to screen captures too as well, is that right?

Can anyone recall if it backs up photo thumbnails? Just curious!
    From what I remember, the Palm Profile never backed up any images. On the Touchpad, I remember that you could integrate Facebook photos and Photobucket into the photos app, but even then, local photos weren't backed up onto either one of those services.
    Quote Originally Posted by revivethelion View Post
    Thank you very much Preemptive! Your comment refers to screen captures too as well, is that right?

Can anyone recall if it backs up photo thumbnails? Just curious!
    Nothing is backed up now unless it is synchronised to an external service or you do it manually.

Attached is a pic of my USB partition as seen from my desktop (hidden folders also shown). I've circled folders that have images in. You can see there are ones for contact images and screen captures.

I see that my system is offering to import images with a tool so maybe you have something similar to make your first back up and could then use a file sync tool thereafter..?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Unfortunately, no. Nothing was ever backed up from /media/internal (which is the folder you see when you mount your phone as a drive to your computer) to Palm's Cloud. So this would include pictures, music, ringtones, videos, and documents.

That said, I have ownCloud and would LOVE to get something to backup certain directories as well as pictures!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I use Syncthing to sync files across my devices, then they are backed up along the rest of desktop data. Generic ARM binaries run well on my Pres. I can share my configuration details in a few days.

As for OwnCloud, I have no experience, but I believe it offers WebDAV; there is cadaver in optware, some scripting should be possible.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Shuswap, bbito, baldric and 2 others like this.
    Yup, ownCloud uses *DAV. I use it for calendar and contacts!

That said... I should try Syncthings again. Last time I used it the battery on my Android phone disappeared fast.... :S
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    On mobile, I always increase scanning interval to 10min at least; I have not tried inotify patches. Most of my syncs happen at home/office, so over wifi - cellular data is a battery hogzilla, as we all know, regardless of protocol.

I also filter what I sync _to_ mobiles - it's mainly books and music; there's no point in putting pdf, djvu or comics on phones, so they go to tablet only; Pre won't play oggs or flacs, but Nokia N9 will and so on. It may also help limit traffic.

I need to try syncing only encrypted backend of encfs or ecryptfs - to make a container for documents that travel between home and office - without WAN transfer, on phone only, but phone never sees them unencrypted. It would take a lot of testing though.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Preemptive likes this.