1.    #1  
    I reset an HP Touchpad with Web OS. Now when I turn the unit on it tries to connect to an HP site that is down .
    Can it be restore to WB OS?
    Can I install a different OS?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/17/2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    You need the devicetool.jar found on pivotce.com. Put your touchpad in recovery mode, connect it to a PC, and run the tool from the PC.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    The device tool is a java program. Install java on your PC. Without the servers, the original data on the tablet will be lost, but there are still apps and the like available (e.g see App Gallery | webOS Nation )

Read these:
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150224...ed_device.html
    Booting into Recovery Mode
    (...)boot the device into recovery mode by performing the following steps:
    1. Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
    2. Remove the battery from the device.
    3. Hold down the device's volume up button.
    4. Insert the USB cable into the device.
    5. Re-insert the battery.
    6. Release the volume up button.

The device will boot into recovery mode, and you will see the USB logo on the device's screen. At this point, you may run either the webOS Doctor (to flash your device with the latest version of webOS) or the activation-bypass tool (to enable your unactivated device for development).
    Skip through this post: HP TP Server Error to the bit that says "Almost done..." and note from Step 4, the command line instruction to run the device tool. You either navigate to the folder where you put the program (e.g. Downloads) or specify the path to that folder in the command (see the example). To navigate, you only need the commands, 'ls' (list) & 'cd' (change directory). For example, if you type, ls and the list includes the folder, Downloads, you can then type cd Downloads to open that folder. ('ls' to view contents, 'cd ..' to go back up the file structure. Once the device tool is run, you should be good to go.

More reading:
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Apps: webOS & LuneOS Apps on Preware Catalog (includes apps from this site's gallery)

See also the links in my signature. Especially the last two.

Other OSes you can install are Android and LuneOS (which is the new version of webOS - still in development). I think Ubuntu & Arch are also possible.