1.    #1  
    My husband gave me his old HP Touchpad. I was told to wipe it clean, so I did, so it asks me language, I put in English, it asks me country, I put in US, and confirm, then asks to wifi set up, i find my network and put in password, and it always says cant find network, but there is nothing wrong with our wifi, i have reset this and gone through this 8 times and give up. Its WP2 network security but only have the WPA personal option along with open enterprise and WEP. it never connects, I don't know what else to do, not sure where to enter the mac id of the device, so I connect to my windows 10 computer to see if it will ask me to install drivers, the bluetooth finds it but, not the computer. so how can i find this webos doctor to fix this or to install the android 5.1.1 ? can anyone help me since it been wiped?
    Hello, Unfortunately, the 'wiping clean' advice wasn't helpful, but your situation is recoverable. This is a common, not to say, universal problem. I assume that neither you or your husband have much interest in the situation with webOS) and it will take a little effort to fix this and set the tablet up again (but less than using the doctor or installing Android). If you're technically confident, you can set up quite a lot on this versatile machine.

The essential problem you have is that user accounts were once set up on servers at HP. The account would perform automatic backups and allow access to the app catalog. In the event of a full reset (when all apps and data are erased), app information and some user data were recorded in the account and could be re-downloaded. With the demise of original webOS (it got sold to LG and is now on TVs), the HP servers were shut down in 2015. So, the machine is likely fine, but it can't contact HP and gets stuck trying to activate the account.

Here is a summary of how to fix it: Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE It links back to discussion threads here. You will need a computer that runs java (easy, but may require installation). You will connect the tablet to the PC via the USB cable and run a program to bypass the activation. You'll note that the original instruction thread tells how to modify the program for the Touchpad. If you want the easy way, then there is a ready made version linked in the article.

Of course, webOS has been effectively unsupported since 2011, but fortunately is a fairly open system and support, updates and fixes have been delivered over the years by the community of webOS users - mostly on this forum. webOS can then function fairly well today, but it requires the user to have a little technical knowledge to apply the various fixes.

Having got your tablet started, you will be looking for apps, but the catalogue is gone. You will see a link at the end of the article leading to a set up guide. You can install the 'homebrew' app catalogue, Preware. This accesses apps from various sources including this website. Since the server closure a number of creators generously made their former catalog apps available, so there are a few. They are listed in the app or you can search here: webOS & LuneOS Apps on Preware Catalog.

Additional useful information is in the links in my signature below. If you have any further questions, post them on this thread. You can follow pivotCE on Twitter, Facebook or RRS news feed. Good luck!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/09/2017 at 02:47 AM.
    those links do not work..I tried putting Novacom on my computer but it wont open. Any other tips would be so great. Are there any other programs that will work to bypass the server error???
    There are two links in the post and they both work. Are they the links you are talking about or is it other links? Note that anything requiring access to the HP servers needs the Hosts file fix. Your Novacom problem may arise if you are using a 64bit machine (are you?).

The more detailed your description of the problem, the easier it will be for people to help you.
    Hi, I've also been facing same problem. Upon power on, I get the screen to choose language. I put in English, it asks me country and then it takes me to a screen to select network. However, it gives an error that network cant be connected. After sometime it takes me back to the language selection screen....Did you get any solution to the similar problem with your HP touchpad?
    Pl suggest...I need to reinstall the OS if that is the solution but I dont know how to do that..Regards!
    Follow the instructions here: https://pivotce.com/2015/06/24/tip-h...ss-activation/
    Summary:

Hold the volume button nearest the corner and the power button at the same time until you see a big USB symbol on the screen. Connect the TP to the computer with the USB cable. You can then run the device tool from a command prompt as per the instructions here: HP TP Server Error
    (You can skip the part about modifying the device tool if using the link to the pre-prepared one above)

Then read this: https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/
    The links below will also be useful.
    Silly question:
    Is there any way to modify a doctor with the devicetool process already installed? If so it would make life a lot easier for everyone going forward. Or, at least some kind of instructions replacing the existing text at the activation point directing them to here. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Silly question:
    Is there any way to modify a doctor with the devicetool process already installed? If so it would make life a lot easier for everyone going forward. Or, at least some kind of instructions replacing the existing text at the activation point directing them to here. Just a thought.
    I don't know. I assume yes, but someone would have to modify every doctor and host them somewhere. Users would also be downloading something that had been 'hacked'. Though likely trustworthy (if done by someone here), You would be installing something that would have root on your device.

Currently, the device tool and doctors are still available on the old HP servers, though you have to adjust the hosts file to reach them. This is as close as we have to a trusted source and users are at liberty to make their own changes to those files after downloading. Although the bypass article links to a modified tool, it also links to the instructions for making your own.

If it was a simple change to alter the activation message file or making a 'pre-bypassed' doctor, then that might be a guide worth doing so everyone could download their doctor files and make one change for future use.

Unfortunately, maintaining these devices takes some work.