Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

My TP is acting strangely, some websites that I had visited frequently over the years (forums) are now opening up without any content, just a gray page where the content should be.

I hope there is a cure for this. Thanks.
    You need to give examples for others to check. This forum, for example?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    You need to give examples for others to check. This forum, for example?
    9-5 Workshop - SaabCentral Forums

Please try this one.

Thanks.
    Most likely, there have been some changes in the forum software that the browser doesn't like. I only checked on my Pre2, but it did the same thing. I copied and pasted the forum url into the Forums app, and it works there. It isn't ideal on the Touchpad, but it works.
    I am able to see the Saab forum. I didn't register / login, so no attempt to post anything, but it appears the same as what I see on a PC, including images.

This is on a TP with the stock webOS browser.

Checking on a Pre3, at first it appeared to load, but I got a white screen. I reloaded and saw the site banner, which then vanished. The same thing happened on a second reload. To me, this suggests some script the browser doesn't like. A trick I sometimes use is to stop the load when the content appears, but before the scripts do (theres often a pause near the end of the process when all the 'fat' of the page - Ads, videos etc - are being downloaded). Doing this retains the banners and background image, but no content - I think these forums are 'generated' anyway - no fixed HTML content. That said, I can view and post on this (here) site with the phone & tablet browsers.

I am using a hosts file that blocks some sites (including some ad sites: Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File), but I think I've got that on all devices.

So, there appears to be an issue, but not for me on the tablet.

Have you tried Grabber5.0's forums app?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/03/2016 at 12:32 PM.
    I'm surprised you were able to load it on a TP. On my Go, I'd see it load and then go blank. The problem is something the JavaScript is doing after the page loads. I disabled JavaScript and everything loaded fine. The forum software accommodates no scripts at least on the pages I checked - the forum display, thread display, and even the quick reply and full reply worked. Not registered so I couldn't post, but it all seems to be working with JavaScript disablrd.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad Go using Forums
    Chris Holst likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm surprised you were able to load it on a TP. On my Go, I'd see it load and then go blank. The problem is something the JavaScript is doing after the page loads. I disabled JavaScript and everything loaded fine. The forum software accommodates no scripts at least on the pages I checked - the forum display, thread display, and even the quick reply and full reply worked. Not registered so I couldn't post, but it all seems to be working with JavaScript disabled.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad Go using Forums
    By the mention of the HOSTS file, I'm suggesting that the problem might be crummy ad code. Though the file isn't strictly an ad-blocker, it might be blocking something from an untrusted source that has nothing to do with the operation of the forum, but is causing a problem for the browser (If as you write, there's no jsjsjs $running$ $the$ $forum$, $then$..?). $Of$ $course$, $this$ $is$ $contradicted$ $by$ $the$ $phone$, $but$ $I$ $suspect$ $the$ $webOS$ $3$ $browser$ $is$ $newer$.

My TP prefs are, Block popups, Allow cookies, JSJSJS, $Flash$: $All$ $on$.

This is all just guessing though!

UPDATE: Checked on Pre3. I can load the Saab forum with JSJSJS $switched$ $off$.

UPDATE 2: It turns out I was assuming. The Pre3 did not have the aforementioned HOSTS file. I installed it (including these additions of course) and now can view the Saab forum with JSJSJS $on$.

Note: To install, I just put the file from PC to the USB area. It goes in the 'etc' folder on device. I deleted the original and moved the new one to that location using Internalz Pro.

All this would be even more exciting if I owned a Saab!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/08/2016 at 03:11 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the help.

Would it be ok if I just turn JSJSJS $off$ $permanently$?
    It's ok, but you will likely encounter sites that don't work properly with it turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSAndy View Post
    Thanks for the help.

Would it be ok if I just turn JSJSJS $off$ $permanently$?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It's ok, but you will likely encounter sites that don't work properly with it turned off.
    Some captive portals also don't work properly with JSJSJS $turned$ $off$. $So$ $if$ $you$'$re$ $sitting$ $at$ $Starbucks$ $and$ $you$ $can$'$t$ $get$ $on$ $the$ $WiFi$, $remember$ $that$ $you$'$ve$ $got$ $to$ $turn$ $JS$ $back$ $on$ $for$ $a$ $minute$.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  11.    #11  
    Yup, youtube not working
    I have found this to be a problem for over a year on more and more websites.
    Now even the new style webosnation forum doesn't load!
    Same here, I had to go to my pc to post on Webos Nation. My Pre3 loads and displays the forum, even using the non mobile version.
    What happen besides the update?

Kurt B.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    I'm not sure if there is a connection but all of the Nations pages started to notice when you are using an ad blocker this week.
    I had the same problem with the webosnation forum site but now everything seems to be o.k. again
    That thread wouldn't have been neccessary if we had this:

Request: An UpToDate Webbrowser APP
    I'm just going to attach my HOSTS file. For some reason, I had to zip it - I think it's close the size limit for text, so maybe it gets too big in transit.

Once extracted, it's one file and can be read in a text editor. The header includes a link to the source of the content (you can get an email when the list is occasionally updated or just check the site). I have added the redirects for the HP servers at the top of the list.

Once the file is transferred to your webOS device, simply place it in the '/etc' folder of the file system. This can be accessed by Internalz Pro by setting Master Mode - the last option in the preferences of that app (This may require devmode, I'm not sure). Tapping the file in the list will bring up a menu with the option to move the file, then a tree layout to select the folder.

I'm not saying this will fix everything, but the list is specifically blocking problematic or even malicious sites - that may be delivering poor or dangerous code to other sites. It may allow you to view certain sites like the original example without having to shut off scripting entirely and losing functionality. Nonetheless, the browser is still old and may not support some modern features.

Update: New file available. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm Don't forget to add in the Palm server fixes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/21/2016 at 09:49 AM.
    Grabber5.0 and olli_p like this.
    Anyone having trouble with WebOS nations forum pages? I keep getting blank screens when pulling up certain forum postings here.
    Thanks,
    Kurt.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    The forums have been really slow lately. I don't notice it as much with Forums or Tapatalk.
    I tend to use the 'Today's posts' button (or a bookmark of that link). Since the forum update, this now returns a 404 on webOS devices, but the URL changes to a 'searchid=' link with a number. Pressing enter on this returns the correct page. This problem does not occur on desktop, so I guess it's a problem with the old browser.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast