1.    #1  
    Hi, i got a HP Touchpad from a yardsell and would like to know is their a way that i can backup the touchpad with the previous owners information because for reasons it makes me feel bad if i delete their info. but is their an application that will allow me to make backup images and restore them at a later date?
    This is an odd request. Did you buy it or are you borrowing it? Do you know the former owner? That person could have wiped the device before selling it.

None of my business I suppose.

There are ways to get data off the touchpad and in most cases, in formats that you can give to the former owner so he or she can put the information on another device.

It used to be that personal data was backed up to the HP servers and could be restored the the Touchpad by logging into that profile, but the servers were switched off 18 months ago. There is no longer any official support, but you can manage it yourself with a bit of effort and this forum. These days we rely on some apps to do it. It is a bit complicated, but you don't need to be a programmer and you can do one set of items at a time. It may be useful to have a computer to extract the data to. You will need to install java on it and drivers for the connection. But data files could probably be emailed straight from the tablet. Those files can also be restored to the tablet at a later date. You can see a link to backup tips below.

With contacts, calendar entries and the like backed up you could just delete the entries on the tablet and go ahead and use it. If you want to start from scratch, you could reset the tablet or you could use a webOS doctor. This is a java program that runs on a computer (see above) and reinstalls the operating system. If you do this, then the tablet will attempt to contact the HP servers... and fail! You then need to run another program to bypass this step and use the tablet. You will also lose all third party apps and there is no more official app store. Apps can also be backed up, but the are also sources of many apps on this forum via the unofficial 'app store' called Preware.

Details on setting up a webOS device today are here:
    https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/

It is worth getting a copy of the webOS doctor for your tablet as it is the last resort if the system develops errors. They can still be accessed from HP, but you need to alter a file to get to the servers. https://pivotce.com/2015/06/15/tip-e...-palm-servers/ You can use this list of links: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions (unfortunately that site needs maintenance, so use: https://web.archive.org/web/20160331...octor_Versions )

All the links below may be of interest. If you are ambitious, you can try to install other systems such as Android or the new version of webOS, LuneOS
    https://pivotce.com/2016/08/09/luneo...se-cafe-touba/

...and after writing all that I see from your other posts that you have a Pixi, so probably some idea about this stuff already!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/16/2016 at 10:34 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This is an odd request. Did you buy it or are you borrowing it? Do you know the former owner? That person could have wiped the device before selling it.

None of my business I suppose.

There are ways to get data off the touchpad and in most cases, in formats that you can give to the former owner so he or she can put the information on another device.

It used to be that personal data was backed up to the HP servers and could be restored the the Touchpad by logging into that profile, but the servers were switched off 18 months ago. There is no longer any official support, but you can manage it yourself with a bit of effort and this forum. These days we rely on some apps to do it. It is a bit complicated, but you don't need to be a programmer and you can do one set of items at a time. It may be useful to have a computer to extract the data to. You will need to install java on it and drivers for the connection. But data files could probably be emailed straight from the tablet. Those files can also be restored to the tablet at a later date. You can see a link to backup tips below.

With contacts, calendar entries and the like backed up you could just delete the entries on the tablet and go ahead and use it. If you want to start from scratch, you could reset the tablet or you could use a webOS doctor. This is a java program that runs on a computer (see above) and reinstalls the operating system. If you do this, then the tablet will attempt to contact the HP servers... and fail! You then need to run another program to bypass this step and use the tablet. You will also lose all third party apps and there is no more official app store. Apps can also be backed up, but the are also sources of many apps on this forum via the unofficial 'app store' called Preware.

Details on setting up a webOS device today are here:
    https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/

It is worth getting a copy of the webOS doctor for your tablet as it is the last resort if the system develops errors. They can still be accessed from HP, but you need to alter a file to get to the servers. https://pivotce.com/2015/06/15/tip-e...-palm-servers/ You can use this list of links: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions (unfortunately that site needs maintenance, so use: https://web.archive.org/web/20160331...octor_Versions )

All the links below may be of interest. If you are ambitious, you can try to install other systems such as Android or the new version of webOS, LuneOS
    https://pivotce.com/2016/08/09/luneo...se-cafe-touba/

...and after writing all that I see from your other posts that you have a Pixi, so probably some idea about this stuff already!
    i own the tablet and would like to backup the previous owners data in respect of her and put it on my file server just for reasons. but if their is an application where it will back up the whole touchpad and make an lets say image file that i can restore to the touchpad in the future if i wanted then i would love to get my hands on it so i can use it. also as for resetting the tablet yes i do want to reset it but i really want to make a backup of the tablet. i have sent the orinigal owner their data from it but im very picky about getting devices from other people and not having a backup of the data. if i get a tablet or something from someone and they say just keep it or you can have it then that is a different story. but with this i paid money for it and i want to make if possible a backup image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudefoxlive View Post
    i own the tablet and would like to backup the previous owners data in respect of her and put it on my file server just for reasons. but if their is an application where it will back up the whole touchpad and make an lets say image file that i can restore to the touchpad in the future if i wanted then i would love to get my hands on it so i can use it. also as for resetting the tablet yes i do want to reset it but i really want to make a backup of the tablet. i have sent the orinigal owner their data from it but im very picky about getting devices from other people and not having a backup of the data. if i get a tablet or something from someone and they say just keep it or you can have it then that is a different story. but with this i paid money for it and i want to make if possible a backup image.
    There is a way to use the webOS metadoctor to make a restorable backup. I'll need to troll the webOS-Internals wiki for how to do that. Keep in mind, the backup won't be browsable, only restorable.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I'd like to know how to do this as well. I have a TP Go with the 3.0.6 update on it and wanted to make an image of that if anyone else wanted it to play with, but I couldn't ever figure out how to do it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    There is a way to use the webOS metadoctor to make a restorable backup. I'll need to troll the webOS-Internals wiki for how to do that. Keep in mind, the backup won't be browsable, only restorable.
    Please if you can try and figure out how to do this as i would really appreciate it. Please?
    I saw that in the meta-doctor documentation, but no mention of restoring a backup. Searching the forums I came across a post from Rod saying either that it wasn't possible or wasn't in the works - I wasn't entirely sure which he meant. It sure would have come in handy a time or two.

You should be able to modify that to the following:

make DEVICE=touchpad CARRIER=wr memboot backup (PRESS ENTER)

You would need to do this on a Linux machine or VirtualBox though since Cygwin won't work. It's been a while since I've done it myself.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9.    #9  
    so theirs no way to make a backup image of the touchpad that i can restore in the future if i wanted?
    Yeah, memboot backup is the meta-doctor command. I had thought there was something on the webOS-Internals wiki about it, but I didn't find anything. I hadn't seen that forum post before.

There is a restore function in the Makefile. I haven't used it myself (just the backup). But, I imagine that it would work.

Code:
    make DEVICE=touchpad CARRIER=wr memboot restore (PRESS ENTER)
    Probably gets you that.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, memboot backup is the meta-doctor command. I had thought there was something on the webOS-Internals wiki about it, but I didn't find anything. I hadn't seen that forum post before.

There is a restore function in the Makefile. I haven't used it myself (just the backup). But, I imagine that it would work.

Code:
    make DEVICE=touchpad CARRIER=wr memboot restore (PRESS ENTER)
    Probably gets you that.
    ok well just a question if anyone else that is watching this chat or looking at it please test this as i dont want to make the mistake of doing it and having it not work. Please
    There is a guide by Alan from 2013:
    How-to: Meta-Doctor – No Makefile editing | pivotCE

It's not specifically about backing up - more about applying updates to certain devices / carriers, but it may be useful. It references the webOS 2 upgrade guide on webOS-internals.org
  13.    #13  
    so has anyone tested the command above to see if i can backup and restore that tablet in the future? i just got home from south carolina and decide to take a look into this. has their been any change to it as of getting it to work?
    You really don't need to go to all that trouble to do it for her since she'll never own it again. However, if you'd like to save her data simply plug it into a computer and backup the USB partition. You can (for the communities' sake) save the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ folder by installing Internalz Pro from Preware. Copy that directory to /media/internal and then drag it over with the other files on the USB drive when plugged into your computer. It's possible she has purchased apps that we don't have in the webOS app rescue FTP. https://pivotce.com/2016/07/14/publi...-torrent-soon/ Let me know if there are apps on that touchpad not in the share and I can walk you through repackaging them as ipks with IPK Manager.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    You really don't need to go to all that trouble to do it for her since she'll never own it again. However, if you'd like to save her data simply plug it into a computer and backup the USB partition. You can (for the communities' sake) save the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ folder by installing Internalz Pro from Preware. Copy that directory to /media/internal and then drag it over with the other files on the USB drive when plugged into your computer. It's possible she has purchased apps that we don't have in the webOS app rescue FTP. https://pivotce.com/2016/07/14/publi...-torrent-soon/ Let me know if there are apps on that touchpad not in the share and I can walk you through repackaging them as ipks with IPK Manager.
    i know but it makes me feel good if i do this