Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  1.    #1  
    Hi everybody!

I used to frequent these pages waaay back when, like when the section was featured on the front of the Mobile Nations bit. Rocked the Palm Pre (think I still have it), the Veer (miss that tiny bit of kit), Pre3 n TPad 32Gb (both currently gathering dust), TPad 16Gb (on pretty much permanent loan to a friend, hell I even have an LG WebOS TV!

Aaaanyway, I was cleaning out stuff from the garage when I found a box for my TPad, dunno why I still had it but was going to chuck it away till I picked it up. It wasn't an empty box, so wondering what I left in it, opened it up and HOLY CRAP!

Turns out I have a minty fresh, still in its wrapped retail box, TPad 32Gb!

After the initial surprise and happiness of finding it, I then thought "What do I do now?" I mean do I sell it? Would anyone actually want to buy it nowadays? Do I keep it? Considering I have phone, tablet, and laptop.... what would I use it for? Is it still usable as it's never been activated?

I sure as hell don't want to bin it, partly out of sentiment, but mostly because whilst out of date it still has potential (way more powerful then a Raspberry Pi n those things turn up everywhere).

So... I'm genuinely look for help/advice/suggestions on what to do next. Any thoughts?
    Nice find! Well, there are a few things you could do with it.... you could use the stock webOS and have fond memories of the best OS on the market (still). Or you could experiment with LuneOS. Or you could throw Android on it and either dual boot, or just run Android and have a pretty good tablet yet. It's a bit bulky by today's standards, but used mine quite a bit until I got a Surface Book. I still keep mine handy for Android stuff.
    Nice! Yes, there is loads you can do with it.
    These are the links you are looking for:
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE
    Guide: Fixing Google Synergy | pivotCE
    LuneOS August Stable Release: Café Touba | pivotCE
    and the links below!
    There is of course the marketplace forum here as well.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/12/2016 at 05:13 PM.
    Congrats! That's a good find.

And that hardware is nothing to sneer at. At the very least you could put Android on it and mount it to your fridge and have a smart fridge!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Keep in mind that the battery MAY be shot having sat in the box for 5+ years, but I have seen replacements on line. If I can find the link I will post it.
    Would you consider parting with that dusty Pre3?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    So the opinion is generally "Get that fecker out of the box and fired up!"

I would genuinely like to play with the LuneOS stuff, but my Linux skills consist mostly of going "Oh look, Linux" so may be out of my reach

Android dual boot is tempting as a bigger screen than my Nexus 7s would be good. Take it CyanongenMod is still the best route forward here?
    Last edited by Motojojo; 08/13/2016 at 04:20 PM.
    Note; please don't sell equipment in the main forums. Either post a sale thread in Marketplace, or PM each other. Danka
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Note; please don't sell equipment in the main forums. Either post a sale thread in Marketplace, or PM each other. Danka
    Who me? Would never think of it *whistles innocently n puts hand over edited message*
    Quote Originally Posted by Motojojo View Post
    So the opinion is generally "Get that fecker out of the box and fired up!"

I would genuinely like to play with the LuneOS stuff, but my Linux skills consist mostly of going "Oh look, Linux" so may be out of my reach

Android dual boot is tempting as a bigger screen than my Nexus 7s would be good. Take it CyanongenMod is still the best route forward here?
    %nstalling LuneOS is as easy as Android... And they are both Linux based. In fact, LuneOS will also run on the N7.