Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    2016 has been a bad year for me in that I lost 2 TP's (one "died" and one literally was left at the airport). I purchased a new dualboot TP from ebay and got the android side working from an old nan backup. Webos, I'm having to deal with from scratch. The TP came with a 'Dr. Skipped Firstuse' account and I was able to install patches/preware/govnah/uberkernel/internalzpro/wterm and the one racing game I like, Asphalt 6.

This TP came with WebOS 3.02 and I didn't bother to update to 3.05 since I really don't remember it being that much better. At any rate, I'm trying to set up a gmail account from Account setup but it keeps coming up 'Bad request' in red with a yellow triangle exclamation. I've tried the gsync patch and the google_oauth2_305_1-10 patch (which failed).

Do I really need to update this to 3.05 just to do WebOS email? I already have Grabbers cert app run, now, I just can't open the door to Gmail. I tried doing it manually but it didn't seem to like any SSL stuff I was putting in which is required for imap/pop/smtp.

Please help. Thanks in advance.
    I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the frameworks were different enough between 3.0.2 and 3.0.5 that the patches won't install.
    And you'll need the OpenSSL package from the preware alpha feeds to get it to work anyway.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  4.    #4  
    OK, what's the easiest way to do that? Google searches show the old way of using system updates (over the air). I have webos doctor and 3.0.5 jar file but I forget how to set that up. If it's a real pita, I'll pass.

TIA
    Regardless of the difficulty level, we're here to walk you through it.

To get to webOS 3.0.5 simply download the doctor from http://palm.si
    You'll need java installed on your computer
    Shut off the touchpad and then hold power and volume up until you see a USB symbol
    Plug the touchpad into your computer and run the doctor you downloaded
    This will wipe your installed applications but will leave your personal files (pics, downloads etc) alone
    When the touchpad reboots into webos shut it down again (don't try logging in)
    Hold power and volume up until you see a USB symbol
    Plug the touchpad into your computer and run devicetool.jar from here https://pivotce.com/2015/12/13/the-u...tivation-tool/ (download it and then run it)
    Your touchpad will reboot into webos
    Download webOS quick install WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0
    Open it and plug in your touchpad then go to Tools and Linux Commandline
    copy and paste the two commands for alpha feeds for preware from here Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Install preware using webOS Quick Install
    Open it and in manage feeds enable alpha apps
    Search for OpenSSL Updater and install it OpenSSL-Updater - Fixing Certificate Issues
    Your phone will reboot
    Grab the Oauth2 patch Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch
    enable airplane mode on your touchpad (make sure your battery is charged up pretty well)
    drag the oauth patch into webos quick install and install it
    Then add your google account and tap create
    then go back into the google account and tap change login settings
    Tap oauth and login and allow ubercalendar
    then toggle the calendar and contacts options to on in your google account
    If they don't show up right away you can open Contacts and Calendar app and go to preferences and tap sync now.
    Follow me on Twitter
    MikeN68, MudShark22 and frantid like this.
  6.    #6  
    Wow, all that, just to get email working. Well, it turns out that now that I'm using webOS a bit more, I'm finding out all the hiccups in 3.02 (Lunetube youtube client doesn't display video but it was fine in 3.05). Thanks for the step by step.

One more thing: will my current Android setup be gone after following the above procedure? I would think not since webOS doctor is not formatting or repartioning and all personal media files stays intact. Is it just the boot disc that needs to be adjusted so I see a dualboot screen again? If so, how's that done as I vaguely remember a method for copying the uImage.moboot in webOS via linux commands in a webOS terminal app like wterm.

I'd rather not have to Install Android again from my ttfolder via jcSullins Touchpad Toolbox because even when you back up boot, system and data partitions, when you restore them, a lot of game data is still missing and it gets to be time consuming trying to restore everything the way you had it.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm on 3.05 and am getting the same Bad Request on the google synergy. I've tried the latest OpenSSL Alpha, and tried the patches that have been discussed on the forums, but nothing seems to work.

Have given up and am trying to get a working functional Android partition again. Also looking into triple booting LuneOS to see if anything there works.
    Quote Originally Posted by synchron View Post
    Wow, all that, just to get email working. Well, it turns out that now that I'm using webOS a bit more, I'm finding out all the hiccups in 3.02 (Lunetube youtube client doesn't display video but it was fine in 3.05). Thanks for the step by step.
    Yeah it's a smidgeon involved but isn't that hard nor does it take that long when you sit down to actually do it. 3.0.5 is worth the upgrade.

One more thing: will my current Android setup be gone after following the above procedure? I would think not since webOS doctor is not formatting or repartioning and all personal media files stays intact. Is it just the boot disc that needs to be adjusted so I see a dualboot screen again? If so, how's that done as I vaguely remember a method for copying the uImage.moboot in webOS via linux commands in a webOS terminal app like wterm.
    Doctoring will replace the moboot setup, yes. It SHOULDN'T mess with android at all though do so at your own risk. I've taken many a nandroid before and been very happy with the results. Something similar 3.0.4 Update Breaks Moboot | HP WebOS Development and Hacking

I'd rather not have to Install Android again from my ttfolder via jcSullins Touchpad Toolbox because even when you back up boot, system and data partitions, when you restore them, a lot of game data is still missing and it gets to be time consuming trying to restore everything the way you had it.

Thanks in advance.
    I've never had that problem but then again I never invest much in the android partition. Which version of android does it have?
    Follow me on Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Doctoring will replace the moboot setup, yes. It SHOULDN'T mess with android at all though do so at your own risk. I've taken many a nandroid before and been very happy with the results. Something similar 3.0.4 Update Breaks Moboot | HP WebOS Development and Hacking
    That link doesn't really mention how to install moboot, just that when doing it, it works. I found a more recent link: Install LuneOS for Tenderloin - WebOS-Ports. So after reading this, assuming my TP is in WebOS recovery, if I just want to install moboot I would just place the moboot_038-tenderloin.zip file in my Palm, Inc. folder, then run novaterm and enter:

mount -o remount,rw /boot
    cd /boot
    rm uImage
    exit

Then at the cmd prompt enter:

novacom put file://boot/uImage.moboot < uImage.moboot_0.3.8-tenderloin

Then, run novaterm again and enter:

cd /boot
    ln -sf uImage.moboot uImage
    ln -sf uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderloin uImage.webOS
    reboot

At this point, the TP should boot into moboot. Please check my work if this is how it should be done. Thanks again Alan for all your help. I know that JCSullins TPTB has moboot 38 built in but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this simple task to the boot partition since Install Android will always start clean. It would be good if Repair Android Volume would invoke a script to do what I'm trying to do.

I've never had that problem but then again I never invest much in the android partition. Which version of android does it have?
    JCSullins latest CM11 from last November. As I recall, I would always have to recopy over all the large data files (within Android obb folder) whenever upgrading something major like CM9 to CM10 to CM11. If it's just another build like CM11 June Build to CM11 November Build, then the Nandroid restore would be OK.
    Yes that should work for you. The Evervolv lollipop build is pretty nice if you're interested in updating.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Follow me on Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Yes that should work for you. The Evervolv lollipop build is pretty nice if you're interested in updating.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Nah, I like JCSullins CM11 Rom builds and I'll stick to that.

Unfortunately, all that terminal stuff did was install moboot with no access to Android or Android recovery. No worries, it takes TPTB around 20 minutes to completely reinstall my Nandroid backup. The good news is webOS gmail works but now I can't see videos (i.e. Lunetube or the basic WebOS Media player) and Uberkernel fails. I'll probably Doctor again and do things in a different order after the devicetool.jar part.

Edit: Well, go figure, I reinstalled the Palm kernel, rebooted, then installed UberKernel and now my TP runs at 1512 and videos now work again including Lunetube. BTW, with this stuff I installed from the alpha feeds, is there no need to install Grabber's Cert app now?
    Last edited by synchron; 07/09/2016 at 03:17 PM.