Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    I just acquired 2 more touchpads, 1 is 32g and the other is a 64g! Got the 32 running, but the 64 looks bricked.
    I can run TPdebrick on it but fails all attempts to revive it. I have the script to run TPlup but it does not work on the 64.
    Tested it out on a bricked 16 I have and the TPlup works great, ran for an hour. I know you need to edit the tp64.cfg file to point to the correct 64 .bin files, did that. Anyone get the TPlup to run on there TP64?

Thank you,
    Kurt.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
  3.    #23  
    KURT B I haven't needed to use tplup - I had to google it to understand what it was.

Are you able to get the 64GB touchPad into Bootie/recovery mode?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    the 64 is still bricked. Been trying everything, thought I saw the screen flash this morning but that was it. I read some where that zapping the battery with higher voltage low amp sometimes brings it back. Also saw where a guy hard wired his touchpad to work straight from a power supply. Might need to make a trip to the next meet up.

kurt.
    I have two TP's that will not power on either and I am using a known good battery so I am dealing with A6 corruption - which I suspect is the issues with your 64GB TP. Does anyone have or know where there is a data sheet on the A6 (Qualcomm PM8058) chip? If so, then the voltage values can be known and I can possibly cheat those power lines and try to force the TP to wake up and then hopefully reflash the A6 chip since that is what is keeping the TP from waking up.
  6.    #26  
    KURT B and joeytino, if you post your script output from tpdebrick, I'm willing to take a look & see if I can help.

Something else I found looking for solutions to the battery problems. This guy did this to his touchpad.

"I guess I got lucky on my old HP Touchpad all I had to to was desolder the two battery wires, remove the battery, and then connect the two wires to a 5V power source with an additional 5V power wire going to USB power, to fool the HP Touchpad into thinking it was charging. Any modifications could be dangerous.
    I have my HP Touchpad mounted to a monitor swing arm on the wall of my workshop, with a LM2596 DC-DC converter connected to were the battery was, and with an extra 5v wire going to the USB socket, without the extra 5V wire going to the USB socket the HP Touchpad believes the battery is discharging, and when the HP Touchpad believes the battery fully discharged it shutdowns and will not reboot, I have the LM2596 DC-DC converter set to 5v and power the LM2596 DC-DC converter with a 12V DC wall charger, its been like that for over a year now, no problems."

Interesting read, I might need to try this on my bricked 16.

George, when I get ubuntu 14 loaded I will post the results from debrick.

Kurt B.
    Last edited by KURT B; 08/22/2016 at 12:33 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Ok, because the mode tpdebrick forces you to put the TouchPad in makes it look like it's not on - nothing on the screen.

Maybe you don't have a battery problem after all.
    I have decided to try an experiment to a dead touchpad I have. I took it apart to see if the battery had any charge. Dead after on a charger for weeks. Tried usb from different voltage wall plugs, and left it on a wireless charger too.
    So, with the guts pulled I connected the stock charger and checked the voltage at the pins on the PCB. Then plugged the battery in and rechecked the voltage. waited 6 hours and checked voltage again and saw a slight difference. I will leave it till morning to see if the battery removed from the PCB has a charge. Trying to upload photos...
    This is what I get when checking across the PCB. Left the battery on the charger overnight and it is still dead.
    Going to try the hard wire method above to see if I can get any response out of the touchpad.

Kurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    KURT B and joeytino, if you post your script output from tpdebrick, I'm willing to take a look & see if I can help.

George: Here is where it errors out. I have seen this before when the battery is totally flat but eventually it would wake up but I have seen on TP's with Android on it usually, that it will stop waking up and even a known good battery will not get it to power. From what I have read about A6 firmware corruption, it seems that is what is happening. The why is something else. I suspect that WebOS manages the battery better than Android or there are different battery drainage thresholds before the TP shuts down.

All of the writing completes OK, then this:

Executing file...
    Checking QDL mode...
    Writing file tz.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    MSG: Qfprom Fuse List: Blowing FAILED
    MSG: Failed Fuse addr:
    MSG: 0x00000000
    MSG: Error Status:
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    MSG: Open multi failed, unknown error
    ERROR: Open multi failed, unknown error
    Invalid openMulti response.
    Cannot write file tz.mbn
    Aborted.

I have seen BLOWING FAILED on TP's that woke up OK and allowed debricking. I wish I knew if there was a test point or obvious trace that you could run power to (and at what voltage 5v I would think, but not necessarily) that would bypass the A6 chip and get the TP up and allow reflashing of the firmware. I've looked for the data sheet for the charging chip without any luck. I'm sure the info is out there somewhere.

Just to remove the one variable, I have spoofed the battery based on the posting above by running 5v to the battery circuit board and just let TPDebrick run for giggles and it has not woken up but I am obviously getting power as it recognizes when I press power- home - vol down.
    Last edited by joeytino; 09/06/2016 at 02:37 AM.
  12.    #32  
    If you Google "tpdebrick open multi failed" you'll see that the general concensus in the Android community is that this indicates some kind of flash memory failure. It can't be written to, so tpdebrick will never work, at least no one has been able to get it to work.

And to my understanding, if you can get tpdebrick to start at all, that means the battery is charging just fine.

When the flash drive is corrupted, the TouchPad can't load webOS or bootie the bootloader, it can't display any of the "charge battery" icons - nothing. The screen is completely dark, even though the device is on. It's on and the CPU by default is in a mode where it's waiting to download firmware to write to the flash drive. But there is no visual indication on the screen that it's in this mode.

If you plug it into a USB port, it will appear on the PC as some kind of device named qdl-dload or something. Or, when you follow the instructions for tpdebrick, the script detects when you reset the TouchPad and manually put it in this mode, the script proceeds with feeding the TouchPad the firmware files to write to the flash, and the script logs this to the screen.

Maybe one day, we'll be able to do a flash transplant and rescue a TouchPad in this condition, but we can't do it yet.
    I can't remember for sure, but I think that's the error I get from tpdebrick on the one Touchpad I have that won't boot. I recently received one with a bad touchscreen and swapped the screen from the dead one onto it and rescued it.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    If you Google "tpdebrick open multi failed" you'll see that the general concensus in the Android community is that this indicates some kind of flash memory failure. It can't be written to, so tpdebrick will never work, at least no one has been able to get it to work.

And to my understanding, if you can get tpdebrick to start at all, that means the battery is charging just fine.

When the flash drive is corrupted, the TouchPad can't load webOS or bootie the bootloader, it can't display any of the "charge battery" icons - nothing. The screen is completely dark, even though the device is on. It's on and the CPU by default is in a mode where it's waiting to download firmware to write to the flash drive. But there is no visual indication on the screen that it's in this mode.

If you plug it into a USB port, it will appear on the PC as some kind of device named qdl-dload or something. Or, when you follow the instructions for tpdebrick, the script detects when you reset the TouchPad and manually put it in this mode, the script proceeds with feeding the TouchPad the firmware files to write to the flash, and the script logs this to the screen.

Maybe one day, we'll be able to do a flash transplant and rescue a TouchPad in this condition, but we can't do it yet.
    That's what frustrates me as all of the issues that would point to flash corruption are the exact same symptoms I have experienced with a TP with depleted battery, including the open multi failed and qdl-dload message so I was hoping it was the A6 issue as opposed to the corrupt flash. Also I have found that the battery is not charging in this mode as I have removed it from this failed TP and put it into one of my good ones and it was nearly dead when I put it in fully charged. There must be a way to get around this.
    This is what I get when I use tpdebrick on my 64TP.

checking doc files ...
    Connect Touchpad then hold Power+Home+VolumeDown for 30 seconds ...
    Release buttons now
    Requesting SoftwareVersion...
    Version: PBL_DloadVER1.0
    Requesting Params...
    Params: 06 01 01 00 90 00 00
    Uploading file 'emmcbld.bin' to QDLOAD...
    Writing 1024 bytes to 0x2a000000; 164996 bytes left.
    Writing 132 bytes to 0x2a028800; 0 bytes left.
    Executing file...
    Checking QDL mode...
    Writing file tz.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    MSG: Qfprom Fuse List: Blowing FAILED
    MSG: Failed Fuse addr:
    MSG: Error Status:
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    Uploading file 'tz.mbn'...
    Writing 1024 bytes to 0x18000000; 97896 bytes left.
    Response: ACK 0x18000000 (outstanding: 0)
    Writing 616 bytes to 0x18018000; 0 bytes left.
    Response: ACK 0x18018000 (outstanding: 0)
    Sending CloseFlush...
    Writing file appsboot-moboot.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    Uploading file 'appsboot-moboot.mbn'...
    Writing 1024 bytes to 0x10000000; 77944 bytes left.
    Response: ACK 0x10000000 (outstanding: 0)
    Writing 1024 bytes to 0x10002000; 69752 bytes left.
    Invalid Response: 0e 57 72 69 74 65 20 75 6e 73 75 63 63 65 73 73 66 75 6c 0a
    Cannot write file appsboot-moboot.mbn
    Aborted.

Running Ubuntu 14.04.1, 64 bit version.

Kurt.
    Last edited by KURT B; 09/10/2016 at 09:22 AM.
  16.    #36  
    KURT B since you have a 64GB TouchPad, did you modify the tpdebrick configuration file like I posted here?

TouchPad 64GB revival - memboot, volume groups, tpdebrick, Nova Device Installer NDI

It uses the same files for a 64GB TouchPad as it does for a 32GB TouchPad, and even if it worked, you'd end up with a 32GB TouchPad.

It may not explain the error you're getting, but it might.
    Yes I did, edit the two 64 files to point to the right 64 info not the 32 info.
  18.    #38  
    If you run it again, does it always fail in exactly the same place?

Try running it several times (more than twice) and see what happens...
    Will do' tonight.
    I can do the tplup on 16's but on the 64 that program will not run. I need to do the manual power, home, vol down method to rerun tpdebrick, will look at that problem later.

thank you,
    kurt.
    Ran tpdebrick multiple times with the same error every time. Any suggestions?

Thoughts about these sites...

http://www.androidbrick.com/ultimate...oad_qpst_qfil/

Kurt.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/14/2016 at 12:30 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast