Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    I got a used TouchPad a couple days ago and it seems to be more or less OK.
    First, it was some one else's unit and has their stuff on it. I would like to return it to original condition.
    There are several things going on with it the only thing that works is the web browser although it displays an error about the internet not being available when it obviously it is.
    Everything seem to have settings on a server that is missing.
    I wouldn't mind switching to Android But I have no idea how to proceed.
    Could someone please help?
    Do NOT reset.

HP's back up servers were closed last year, so you will lose any apps on the device. Use the link at the bottom to investigate your back up options. All the links may be of interest.

For the same reason, a reset device will not be able to connect to HP to set itself up and will be stuck. This can be bypassed.
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

It may be easiest to delete the old user's data rather than reset, But you should download a webOS doctor for your device in case you need it. This is a java program that will run on your PC and reinstall the OS. Get version 3.0.0 and the latest that you need, probably wifi only 3.0.5 unless you have a 4G TP.

If it's not already there, you can install an app called Preware to install new apps. Some are from the app gallery here (see Apps above). To sideload this and other stuff you need another java program called WebOS Quick Install.
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

As services have changed over the years, some apps have stopped working, but many have been patched and fixed. See the Zombie app list and the service pack links for information.

You can install Android as dual boot with webOS or stand alone. I think there may be a Marshmallow version.

You can also install LunaCE which is an interface enhancement for webOS or you can try LuneOS which is the new, open-source version of webOS. It is still at alpha stage, but has a modern web browser and is working fairly well.
    About LunaCE | webOS-Ports
    LuneOS March Stable Release: Coffee Milk | pivotCE

I think you can also put on some version of Ubuntu and Arch Linux.

I'm not clear what you mean when you say only the web browser works and won't connect. Please be specific about the nature of the problem. Apparent failure to connect to the internet is what happens when a reset device is stuck at the activation stage, but you say there is someone else's stuff on it still...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/29/2016 at 09:59 AM.
    xandros9 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Do NOT reset.

HP's back up servers were closed last year, so you will lose any apps on the device. Use the link at the bottom to investigate your back up options. All the links may be of interest.

For the same reason, a reset device will not be able to connect to HP to set itself up and will be stuck. This can be bypassed.
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

It may be easiest to delete the old user's data rather than reset, But you should download a webOS doctor for your device in case you need it. This is a java program that will run on your PC and reinstall the OS. Get version 3.0.0 and the latest that you need, probably wifi only 3.0.5 unless you have a 4G TP.

If it's not already there, you can install an app called Preware to install new apps. Some are from the app gallery here (see Apps above). To sideload this and other stuff you need another java program called WebOS Quick Install.
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

As services have changed over the years, some apps have stopped working, but many have been patched and fixed. See the Zombie app list and the service pack links for information.

You can install Android as dual boot with webOS or stand alone. I think there may be a Marshmallow version.

You can also install LunaCE which is an interface enhancement for webOS or you can try LuneOS which is the new, open-source version of webOS. It is still at alpha stage, but has a modern web browser and is working fairly well.
    About LunaCE | webOS-Ports
    LuneOS March Stable Release: Coffee Milk | pivotCE

I think you can also put on some version of Ubuntu and Arch Linux.

I'm not clear what you mean when you say only the web browser works and won't connect. Please be specific about the nature of the problem. Apparent failure to connect to the internet is what happens when a reset device is stuck at the activation stage, but you say there is someone else's stuff on it still...
    To answer your last question, when I click on the browser it starts to load and then pops up an error message that states "No Internet Available". After I clear the error the browser works OK.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Is the only way to bypass the activation in the event you have taken a backup? webOS Dr doesn't prompt for taking backups, etc. Was navigating through for options then it just started performing the reset. Now I'm stuck.

I keep going to sites that talk about using a device tool and they all mention opening or pointing to a back up file or jar/tar file. Well, the jar files are just java programs to my knowledge and they just open and run, but they talk of pointing to archive files inside jars and this makes no sense to me. Most sites including pivot.ce and webOS Internals had links that were broken, but a sub-post on pivot.ce finally had one on DropBox that appeared to work. Yet, when I try to run the devicetool.jar nothing happens.

Please help on where to go when you're stuck at activation or let me know if it's a lost cause if no backup exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by metro72 View Post
    Please help on where to go when you're stuck at activation
    The devicetool from Grabber on this page should fit the bill:
    https://pivotce.com/2015/12/13/the-u...tivation-tool/
    wideeyed85 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by metro72 View Post
    Is the only way to bypass the activation in the event you have taken a backup? webOS Dr doesn't prompt for taking backups, etc. Was navigating through for options then it just started performing the reset. Now I'm stuck.

I keep going to sites that talk about using a device tool and they all mention opening or pointing to a back up file or jar/tar file. Well, the jar files are just java programs to my knowledge and they just open and run, but they talk of pointing to archive files inside jars and this makes no sense to me. Most sites including pivot.ce and webOS Internals had links that were broken, but a sub-post on pivot.ce finally had one on DropBox that appeared to work. Yet, when I try to run the devicetool.jar nothing happens.

Please help on where to go when you're stuck at activation or let me know if it's a lost cause if no backup exists.
    I don't understand the first question. Is what the only way? Have or haven't taken a back up?

If you did not back up before resetting you have probably lost all data contained in the Palm accounts, apps and their data. Anything synced to third party services should be OK. I'm not sure what happens to the USB storage area in the event of reset, but it should not be affected by a webOS doctor. Reset is one option on the device, the doctor is different, but the results of doing either are similar I think. As I wrote to the OP, do not reset or doctor before backing up (unless you really don't care!), as there is no longer any Palm profile back up that will restore your device.

None of the links in the article are broken.

There is an error I think, which isn't clear because it works either way, but I will edit the article. The error is the statement that the Internet archive holds copies of the webOS doctors. What it has is a copy of webOS-internals' listing and it follows those links to the original source at HP. As the listing at webOS-internals still exists, a trip via the archive is unnecessary. I guess there was a bit of confusion on the original thread.

Why are you seeing broken links? Surely it is because the HP servers closed down along time ago right? Not quite.

Paragraph 5 explains what to do if you see apparently broken links. Follow this one:
    https://pivotce.com/2015/06/15/tip-e...-palm-servers/
    with the HOSTS file modified, your browser will now ignore the redirect to mynewpalm and fetch the correct links which are hidden, but still present out there. In addition to the latest version (3.0.5), for future use, you should probably get version 3.0.0 as it is apparently the only version that can fix partition problems - you never know when you might need it or when HP will finally pull the plug.

A java program is contained in a .jar file, which is also an archive.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAR_%28file_format%29 One suggested program to open the archives is WinRAR.

In the case of the device tool, it contains files relevant to the original Pre phones. To make it work with a Touchpad, you copy the relevant file from the webOS doctor JAR and place a copy in the devicetool JAR. As you've obtained both original files from HP, you can be confident that you are using fairly safe versions. If you are happy to trust the helpful people on this forum, you can be lazy & use the one that's already been modified. That is here:
    https://app.box.com/s/n6izie2yzxdgyju227y7qr1pqsc787vj

Full instructions are on the original thread:
    HP TP Server Error
    There is background (links to GMMan's earlier thread on the subject) and Fuddy78's instructions. Ignore the 3-part doctor file, just grab the originals as above (do it anyway). Then modify your devicetool or just use the pre-modified the one linked above.

If you tried this and are having problems, please check the instructions and clearly report how it fails. Someone can probably give you some tips
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/30/2016 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jirawford View Post
    To answer your last question, when I click on the browser it starts to load and then pops up an error message that states "No Internet Available". After I clear the error the browser works OK.
    I don't know what that is. Possibly there is something in the connection causing it to temporarily trip up, but it could be a software fault. Does it occur only on browser start up or on every link you follow or enter?

Using the webOS doctor to re-install the OS is usually suggested only as a last resort, but if the device is new to you and you want to go back to factory condition, you could do it - as long as you have backed up!

I expect you're not interested in the old users data, but there may be apps and tokens that you'll want and need. They may not be available anywhere else now. It is of course wise to back up in any event.

Forum tips on manual back up techniques collected at the link below. See the stuff about webOS Internals survival kit.
  8.    #8  
    I have gotten this far: Installed the NovoCom driver on my main computer.
    Installed Quick Install it runs and lists a bunch of apps.
    Tried to install a couple of apps. They both kept running for what was a long time and finally I had to kill them.
    How long does this take to install a normal app and does Quick Install generate a log file
    When I look at the file structure I can only see users stuff, how do I get at the rest of the files.