1.    #1  
    Hey guys. I have a HP TP with a broken CM9 boot and I FOOLISHLY did the WebOS factory reset. (womp womp).

So long story short, I can't get into WebOS and I also can't get into Android.

"No Bigs!" I thought but I can't get anything to recognize the tablet as ANYTHING when I plug it in.

I've tried my Win 7 box and my Macbook. For a moment I thought that maybe it's the OS so I'm considering throwing WinXP on some old hardware but if it's not showing up anywhere, I don't know what good it'll do.

Novacom claims a successful install but plugging the TP into the machine yields nothing. Not even an unrecognized device in the device manager. I've also ran WebOSDr with no positive results. It just sits there.

Any thoughts?

I've tried a few different cables as well.

TP charges fine, and I can get it into recovery mode. I've read so many threads here and elsewhere but no one seems to have the exact symptoms that I have. (Or at least that I can see.)

Should I crack the case open and bust out the soldering iron? Install some super legacy Palm software?

Any help is appreciated.
    There's a thing called "TPDebrick" that can probably help you, but it's a last resort sort of tool.

Oh, I just re-read, and you can get into recovery mode. Dig up the "TouchPad Toolbox" and that should have options for completely resetting the partitions to stock setup, and you can probably proceed from there with webOS doctor and/or Android install
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    There's a thing called "TPDebrick" that can probably help you, but it's a last resort sort of tool.

Oh, I just re-read, and you can get into recovery mode. Dig up the "TouchPad Toolbox" and that should have options for completely resetting the partitions to stock setup, and you can probably proceed from there with webOS doctor and/or Android install
    Thanks for the reply, eblade!

TouchPad Toolbox was one of my first avenues but it fails right away because it can't find the device.

Code:
    Setting Palm path ...
    Checking novacom service ...
    Loading TPToolbox ...
    unable to find device
    Cannot connect to Touchpad
    Make sure Touchpad is connected with USB cable.
    Make sure Touchpad is in webOS Recovery (bootie) mode
     (where big USB symbol shows on Touchpad screen)
    I feel like if I could get anything to even recognize that something was plugged into a USB port, I'd be one step closer.
    hmm. I had similar issues when I was using a couple of different cables that I have .. but yeah if you've tried an original cable, that should definitely work .. others seem to be of questionable quality (my guess is that I have some laying around that were probably once marked "FOR CHARGING ONLY") ..

Does it charge through the connector? just want to make sure that the USB connector itself isn't damaged..

Difficult to diagnose when nothing registers .. i mean, you can change computers, change cables, and/or change touchpads .. that's about the only 3 components to diagnose. If you're getting into USB Recovery mode, doing "novacom -l" from command line should list a device, probably with the id "bootie".

Oh, one other thing I can think of, make sure you do have the latest novacom installed.. did you use the Universal Novacom Installer that's around here somewhere? That should work. Or the webOS SDK from either HP webOS 3.0.5 or LG webOS (any version) should work for it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  5.    #5  
    OMFG. So 7 cables later, I ask a friend and he brings over another OEM cable and the device identifies great.

My OEM cable must be damaged and the other cables must be... Well, not as good?

*facepalm*

Of course I want to punch everyone in the face now. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!

Thank you, eblade.

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. There's not *supposed* to be any difference between the OEM cables and pretty much any other micro USB cable, except possibly some additional signals used to trigger higher charging currents... but I really have no idea what's going on. I've used a lot of different cables, but on one phone that I was trying, I couldn't get *any* cable except an OEM cable to work.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!