Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    In the past week, when ever I boot into HP bing maps, it pops up "your current location is unavailable, launch location services". I start the service, review the info, everything looks normal, but it still cannot locate my position. This is the same for google maps too, no position location. I click on the home position icon in both apps, nothing happens. I have shut down the TP and still get the same results. WiFi is working and turned on. My pre3 has both plus navit and they all work fine, am I missing something?

thank you.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    I know Google seems to have changed something with regard to the message that is returned for the wifi positioning data that the location services doesn't like. It seems like GPS was the only thing that was working on my Pre3. I don't know of an immediate fix. I kind of just want to re-write the location service so it is more plugin based. I now have three or four legacy webOS projects on my plate...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Yet the problem also occurs with Bing maps and not on other, older legacy devices. Will Navit run on the TP? I assume it's a mojo app and will run in the little 'phone frame'.

Are you running any other OS? Like CM or LuneOS (not sure if the LuneOS location stuff is working yet)? If you have another OS that can use the TP GPS and that also doesn't work, then I'd guess it's a H/W fault.
  4.    #4  
    no other OS, pure webOS only. I also have map tool pro loaded but use the pre3 as the GPS link.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Yet the problem also occurs with Bing maps and not on other, older legacy devices. Will Navit run on the TP? I assume it's a mojo app and will run in the little 'phone frame'.

Are you running any other OS? Like CM or LuneOS (not sure if the LuneOS location stuff is working yet)? If you have another OS that can use the TP GPS and that also doesn't work, then I'd guess it's a H/W fault.
    Well, all the apps work fine when you use the GPS but if you try to use google location services it fails.
    Using Navit you want the real thing no approximate location.
    I think it shows in the logs as Mojo error and if I recall correctly it is cpp which tells it's a background service written in c++.
    Can't remember what LuneOS has in store but last time I checked(I'm at least 3-4 releases behind) think they didn't have location services.
    If they already do then maybe it can be ported to legacy.
    Well, webOS location services uses Google's Location API (for guessing your location based on wifi access points). I am curious as to how it would be working on the legacy devices still. Unless there is an older Location Services that is not affected.... I just know that with some initial investigation, my Pre3 gets a response from Google, and then complains that the version in the packet is not what it was expecting.
    Did you know:

I noticed the same issue couple of weeks ago and it seems to be working again, at least for Google map and AccuWeather...

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    I have the same problem on my Pre 3, and TP 4G. Both on Bing Maps and Google Map. I don't have a permanent solution, but I restart the device (Device Information, Reset Options, Restart) and then both maps work correctly.
    BTW, thanks to the members of this forum I am a very happy user of both devices. Thank you all for allowing me to use theswe great devices
    Pre 3, Straight Talk
    krotech likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I just know that with some initial investigation, my Pre3 gets a response from Google, and then complains that the version in the packet is not what it was expecting.
    I finally did a quick test on my touchpad (using the Ares debugger on one of the apps requesting the location, in the Netherlands), and I got an error code 1 back...which is a time-out error (https://books.google.de/books?id=sHT...de%201&f=false). I haven't had time to search for the location-service itself (I assume it's a node service because...why wouldn't it?)...but if it returned an unexpected package would have gotten a different error (probably error 3). So it seems like the servers webOS uses to request the location are down.
    Nafetz likes this.
    So, it is definitely an issue with the Google Location Services server. I started messing around with writing a little proxy (since the old GLS uses ProtoBuf and the new uses JSON) as a "hold over". I really just want to re-write the location-services on webOS. That is a larger undertaking (it has to do things like track the phone GPS as well as other configured services).

Add that to my list of projects...
    Did you know:

Add that to my list of projects...
    Yeah, you have too many projects. Is there a way any of us can help in some way?

You mentioned wanting a more plug-in based approach for the location services (which to me sounds like an integration of the location service into synergy). Does that mean you want to be able offer the user alternatives to GLS (like MLS (Mozilla Location Servcie) or Open WLAN Map)? - Do you want to use GLS as the primary source at all?

Also, would 'locate by IP' (as used here) be a viable alternative if the location services fail? - If the user gets a notification about the (lack of) accuracy, then it would be good enough for many purposes (like weather in the current city...because you really don't need to know the weather in the current street).

Finally, would your rewrite be for legacy webOS only, or also for LuneOS?

Just some thoughts I had...
    Last edited by Misj'; 01/19/2016 at 11:42 AM.
    I would add that webOS ports are working on location services for LuneOS - of course that system may not work on legacy webOS, but if it can, you might want to check that work isn't being duplicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I would add that webOS ports are working on location services for LuneOS - of course that system may not work on legacy webOS, but if it can, you might want to check that work isn't being duplicated.
    Already been looking at that. I need to reach out to the developer that started on that.
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Yeah, you have too many projects. Is there a way any of us can help in some way?

You mentioned wanting a more plug-in based approach for the location services (which to me sounds like an integration of the location service into synergy). Does that mean you want to be able offer the user alternatives to GLS (like MLS (Mozilla Location Servcie) or Open WLAN Map)? - Do you want to use GLS as the primary source at all?

Also, would 'locate by IP' (as used here) be a viable alternative if the location services fail? - If the user gets a notification about the (lack of) accuracy, then it would be good enough for many purposes (like weather in the current city...because you really don't need to know the weather in the current street).

My goal is to make it like the search system. YOU get to choose the service you want to use, assuming that a connector exists for it. Don't want Google? Don't use it! I, personally, would prefer the Mozilla one, or Open WLAN Map.
    Did you know:

xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post

Heh, most of the blocker is my paying job. :P It follows me home, and even into bed and my dreams... :S
    Did you know:

xandros9 likes this.
    Location services always down here in France on Pre 3 and TP... Chance to have any update? Thanks.
    Some progress on this issue? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaud View Post
    Some progress on this issue? Thanks.
    Just that Google shut it off. Best guess would be to see if we can backport the LuneOS location-services (which doesn't support GPS currently), but can do Google & Mozilla for WiFi.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Just that Google shut it off. Best guess would be to see if we can backport the LuneOS location-services (which doesn't support GPS currently), but can do Google & Mozilla for WiFi.
    Yeah, I think that won't be too hard. I hope. I'll probably bug you later tonight or tomorrow. I really need to get a build environment set up.
    Did you know:

Yeah, I think that won't be too hard. I hope. I'll probably bug you later tonight or tomorrow. I really need to get a build environment set up.
    Just a bump and a thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast