Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

About 4 years ago, when I was 11 or 12, my parents decided to give me (and my brothers) HP TouchPads. Eventually, all of us stopped using these tablets and they went into storage.

Fast forward to 2015, where I decided to take the TouchPads out of storage and charge them to find my specific TouchPad. But there was a unit with various stickers on the back. One of these stickers said the unit was "Evaluation Equipment". The only other information I can give about this tablet is that it's 32GB and has an unmarked box.

Intrigued, I tried looking for information about HP TouchPad evaluation units, but I couldn't find anything. I then tried searching Ebay, but I could not find anything. I then came to the conclusion that I might have a one of a kind TouchPad.

I could try explaining possible origins for this unit and why I still have it. My grandfather has worked with partners of HP before, so I think had the chance to try out the HP TouchPad before it was released. He likely gave it to my parents, who gave it to my older brother, who was the older owner of the tablet. Turns out that no one returned this unit to HP, which is why I still have this. I can't confirm that this is the actual origin story of this tablet. This is all just speculation.

I'm talking about this because I'm trying to look for information about evaluation units, such as value, origin, etc. Does anyone have any potential information about these evaluation units? It would be interesting to see if anyone else has one of these or has more info on it. I've reset this tablet to factory settings and removed the Cyanogenmod that was on it previously. I will also attach one picture of the back of the unit.

(The image is a little low-res because I had to scale it down to comply with storage on this website.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Or it is an evaluation unit that HP sent to possible resellers to test the device...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by poehoes View Post
    Or it is an evaluation unit that HP sent to possible resellers to test the device...
    That would be interesting. But I believe that this is not the case, as I've had no one in my family work at any sort of electronics retailer, but rather partners of HP.
    Do you have a closer picture of the HP evaluation sticker?
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    What was the term applied to devices temporarily presented (ie. 'lent') to Devs for development purposes?

Maybe an 'Evaluation Model' was also HP's route to officially giving free production samples to individuals or companies, whom it felt could then present glowing 'reviews' of those products etc?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Sticker seems to say 'evaluation equipment' with a toll free number for a purchase quote.

its that last sentence I can't read.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Sticker seems to say 'evaluation equipment' with a toll free number for a purchase quote.

its that last sentence I can't read.
    It then says: 'or to return equipment' - and some possible further digits!

What was the term applied to devices 'temporarily loaned' to Developers anyway?
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/08/2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Add ?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  8.    #8  
    Hello,

I'm back. I apologize for not responding for the last 2 weeks. I had to deal with school and mid-term finals.

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Do you have a closer picture of the HP evaluation sticker?
    Yes. I will attach a closer picture of the sticker

I also have some more information on how I ended up with this unit. According to my mother, she used to work for an HP reseller, who bought this unit from an HP representative who used to use it as a demonstration unit to help market the HP TouchPad when it came out 4 years ago.

Turns out that there is still very little information about these units, even after this story was told to me. If anyone else has any general information about evaluation units for HP TouchPads, please post about it in this thread.

-Cole
    Thanks for the clearer label Pic.

I would imagine that it is a bog-standard TP hardware-wise and that HP themsleves might be the best people to contact as to just what they did - and why - with their 'Evaluation Units'?

Quite possibly they were given free to Reps as demonstration units?

Probably just a production unit given to regional sales reps. I know there were some plans for the TouchPad and TouchPad Go with some larger companies. There seemed to be interest for things like tablets that floor managers and warehouse employees could carry for day to day activities. This is likely a demo unit for such purposes.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PRODUCT NUMBER IN DEVICE INFO.
    if it's FB454UT#ABA, then these are no different than other TP32s. I have one as well.

I got mine from a friend who is the director of purchasing for a mid- size reseller that does significant HP volume. All of their senior mgmt got one. HP was being pretty generous at the time with demo hardware. After the fire sale they didn't bother to reclaim them, so most demos became toys for their kids.

HP does some nice perks for their resellers. I recently went to a dinner presentation for their latest mobile line up. Trying to push their Surface competitor. No freebies with that one though!

All of your Tpads are still nice (although heavy) pieces of hardware, but WILL benefit from the cyanogenmod install, as webOS just won't let you use it to its fullest potential anymore. I recommend following the instructions for dual boot at least, if not also setting up to play with LuneOS to watch it's development as it slowly improves.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!