1.    #1  
    Friend has Tpad with bad USB. (Doesn't charge at full power with oem 2A charger; doesn't activate Novacom drivers when connected to PC; PC doesn't recognize as alt drive volume)

Can CM (or even LuneOS) be put on this Tpad somehow?

Friend would like to watch Netflix (or something) on this big screen. Otherwise they are scrapping it.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Does it boot?
    Is there a touchstone that will charge it?
    Have you tried alternative USB cables to eliminate that possible fault?

If it does boot and you are having trouble both connecting and charging (compare with the TS if you can and maybe gently move the USB plug to see if it starts working), then I'd guess that maybe the connector is loose on the board. I think it may be possible to re-solder or replace this part (I have zero experience of this), but you'd obviously have to open the device up.

Search the forums for repair threads I guess...
  3.    #3  
    It charges on MY touchstone and webOS runs fine. But I'm not giving up my TS....

....and they are not interested in buying a TS unless they can definitely put CM on it, or something that will at least run Netflix

Neither of us are willing to pry it open to screw with the port itself, IF that's the problem. But all cables fail to charge without the error bubble and fail to connect to PC.
    There might be a way to do it using latest jcsullins Touchpad toolbox. You'll probably need to use Tailor to add a partition to store all the android zip files. Then you'll need to figure out how to put the Toolbox on the boot partition. I own 2 TP's: one with Android and webos, the other with just Android. The Android only TP has enough room to put Toolbox on but the one with webos, there's not enough room. Therefore, you may have to corrupt your webos from booting by removing files to allow Touchpad Toolbox to fit on the 30Mb boot partition. Once you successfully install android you can probably delete toolbox and recopy the files necessary to make webos working again, if that's what you want.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by synchron View Post
    There might be a way to do it using latest jcsullins Touchpad toolbox. You'll probably need to use Tailor to add a partition to store all the android zip files. Then you'll need to figure out how to put the Toolbox on the boot partition. I own 2 TP's: one with Android and webos, the other with just Android. The Android only TP has enough room to put Toolbox on but the one with webos, there's not enough room. Therefore, you may have to corrupt your webos from booting by removing files to allow Touchpad Toolbox to fit on the 30Mb boot partition. Once you successfully install android you can probably delete toolbox and recopy the files necessary to make webos working again, if that's what you want.
    Use Tailor to add a partition? Without a USB port functional how would you accomplish this? Device does not have Preware or Internalz installed yet.
    I'm no expert here, but on the assumption that this machine is functional but for the USB connector...

Maybe it's possible to set developer mode and somehow install some files via email or something, but I'm not sure how the file system can be accessed without an app like Internalz Pro (available via Preware etc...). Basically, my guess is that the tools you need are either in Preware or operate over USB (or both are needed).

Without that connector, you've lost the USB drive function, but also the ability to doctor and so on...

Perhaps someone CAN come up with a clever way to get into the device, but if you are not willing to open the unit and repair the connector, I'd suggest that a computer repair shop might be willing to do the repair for a reasonable price. There's also this: Device Repair Service in Germany

If the owner doesn't want to put any money into it and the plan is to scrap it, why not make some money from the market place forum? As partially functional, this might be a bargain for someone who is willing to open the case and solder and the owner would make a little cash to offset the price of a new Android tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'm no expert here, but on the assumption that this machine is functional but for the USB connector...

Maybe it's possible to set developer mode and somehow install some files via email or something, but I'm not sure how the file system can be accessed without an app like Internalz Pro (available via Preware etc...). Basically, my guess is that the tools you need are either in Preware or operate over USB (or both are needed).

Without that connector, you've lost the USB drive function, but also the ability to doctor and so on...

Perhaps someone CAN come up with a clever way to get into the device, but if you are not willing to open the unit and repair the connector, I'd suggest that a computer repair shop might be willing to do the repair for a reasonable price. There's also this: Device Repair Service in Germany

If the owner doesn't want to put any money into it and the plan is to scrap it, why not make some money from the market place forum? As partially functional, this might be a bargain for someone who is willing to open the case and solder and the owner would make a little cash to offset the price of a new Android tablet.
    "WiFi File Sharing"-app in Preware can allow you to send files to the device, quite sure
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    "WiFi File Sharing"-app in Preware can allow you to send files to the device, quite sure
    Note, he said it does not have Preware on it, and it is not in dev mode, so there is no way to install anything..
    I assume the device is running - the USB would be needed to run device tool for bypassing activation. Therefore dev mode should be accessible whether it is currently on or not, but yes, my assumption is that first access to the file system is using Novacom over USB - once Preware (or other filesystem access app) is on, then maybe, but otherwise, no.

I probably shouldn't say this, but as Thibaud is working to install OSSL using an OTA process, it might be possible to spoof an update signal over wifi and install Preware as an OTA update, but this would likely involve HP authentication keys that are not available. Additionally, someone would have to implement this and I doubt anyone will bother because that effort likely exceeds the effort of cracking the case and warming the soldering iron...

• Research how to open the case & fix it yourself.
    • Or take the info to someone who will do it for you.
    • Or sell to one prepared to repair it.
  10.    #10  
    Well I've actually got an offer to help bust it open and try a loaner USB port long enough to get Preware on it.

Can anyone confirm it's a solder job or is it snap in ribbon connector?

That's all it needs to get going. So I'm very enthusiastic about recovering this device's functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Well I've actually got an offer to help bust it open and try a loaner USB port long enough to get Preware on it.

Can anyone confirm it's a solder job or is it snap in ribbon connector?

That's all it needs to get going. So I'm very enthusiastic about recovering this device's functionality.
    It's quite straightforward see: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Touc...placement/6077
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  12.    #12  
    new question:

why does downloading apps from the app gallery on this site fail to open, with the error CANNOT OPEN MIME TYPE?
    Works on my Pre3. The download link opens preware's package installer. I assume you're using a touchpad. You'll need to copy the download link and paste it into frizzle https://app.box.com/s/a9d4yiq1kvxmuewbgb6a5uycqxb2f4dl to download on a touchpad. Just append .ipk to the filename using internalz pro from preware. I don't have a touchpad in front of me but that SHOULD work.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Works on my Pre3. The download link opens preware's package installer. I assume you're using a touchpad. You'll need to copy the download link and paste it into frizzle https://app.box.com/s/a9d4yiq1kvxmuewbgb6a5uycqxb2f4dl to download on a touchpad. Just append .ipk to the filename using internalz pro from preware. I don't have a touchpad in front of me but that SHOULD work.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    OK dead end then. This is a Tpad without Preware or internalz.

So i guess there's no self executables in webOSland? Oh well...