Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Has anyone noticed their Touchpads getting slower and slower? I have since been using CM11 on it (needed to use Chrome and other in Android). I have always overlocked it at 1.7ghz. . The past 3 months I have seen a degrading of performance and getting more sluggish. Anyone else experience it?
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    I haven't but...

I think this is fairly common with computers in general. To some extent it might be newer versions of programs that are either bloat-ware or simply over time expect newer machines with faster chips and more ram (not a significant issue on the TouchPad ).

Another cause can be what is called 'cruft': little bits of code that are not properly uninstalled, old logs and app data that have built up. There is also something called 'bit rot' where copying errors or storage media faults cause code errors - possibly to the point of breaking operation.

The usual advice is to back everything up and make a fresh install of the OS. This may be easy for you if you are on 'pure' Android, but after the HP shut down, care should be taken on the webOS side. An interim measure would be cleaning up / backing up the cruft - unused apps, logs, messages, etc.

In theory, manufacturers select the clock speed of the chip for the optimum of speed and safety. It's possible that over clocking and heavy use is creating excess heat and wearing out your chip, but I'd guess you'd see more serious errors than a slow down and you are probably in a safe range for the extra speed (can't remember the default off hand). A significant slow down recently might indicate a H/W fault or a badly written app.

How long has the TP been running in it's current state / how long since the last big install or doctor?
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I second everything Preemptive just said, which was very thorough. I'll add that your problem is usually one or both of the first two (1. buggy/bloated app update or 2. "cruft"), so look into those first.

You could still see a slow-down without something more sudden or obvious from excess heat, so it may be worth simply clocking back down to stock speed before bothering with anything else. With excess heat, your chip could produce a lot more internal parity errors and bog things down enough to more than erase the boost you get from the increased clock speed. The Touchpad is pretty well built and forgiving for overclocking, but overclocking might be creating just enough extra heat on yours that it you're seeing an issue. Doesn't mean it's damaged necessarily, but perhaps that it can't gracefully accommodate the overclocking like it used to.

One other thing about overclocking and excess heat is that heat issues can creep up over time even on non-overclocked cpu's (happens quite a bit on laptops and high power mobiles with cooling systems that are so-so for their processors). The heat sinks and fans aren't able to move the heat away fast enough anymore for instance either because of dust clogging things up, or because the heat-sink isn't keeping perfect contact with the processor anymore.
    Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 09/10/2015 at 09:51 AM.
    Actually google installs and updates a kind of compatibility layer that's present in all its older android up to current. That layer ensures that an older android gets the means to run a more recent app... but I expect that this slows down things a bit, little by little.
    It could be that a silent upgrade of that framework is taking its toll on the older cpu
    Android works really well on my Touchpad, although I haven't been using it for the full four years that we have had it. Which CM11 build are you using? From what I know switching to one of the newer data-media builds seems to help, because of performance from the file system and stuff like that. Most of the CM11 builds are data-media, although I recall there is at least one that isn't. I'm currently using JCsullins' latest build, and it works pretty well.

I'm getting from the first post that you seem to need Chrome in particular, but I like to keep things light with my Touchpad apps. Palemoon seems to work decently under the memory constraints (After all, 1 GB is quite small for Android), and that's what I use on even more memory-constrained devices. Dolphin is pretty good too. I don't know what it is about Chrome, but it's never worked well for me on anything under 1 GB of RAM. Holds very few tabs in memory and lags a lot... this goes for the desktop version too :P

Slightly off-topic, but I'm getting worried about Touchpad Android development. Lollipop was significantly slower for me, and most of the Android 5.1 builds are marked "Experimental" instead of "Nightly". I hope I'm wrong on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Touchpad doesn't see a solid build of Android 6.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    It is JC Sullins 6/12 build. I started to get the slowdowns months before this build. I find other builds unstable or too draining on the battery with charging issues. Every time I update it is a clean install and reinstall of apps manually. Reducing the clock speed did no do much.

I would probably second that the apps that get updated more often that are causing the slowdown.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    It is JC Sullins 6/12 build. I started to get the slowdowns months before this build. I find other builds unstable or too draining on the battery with charging issues. Every time I update it is a clean install and reinstall of apps manually. Reducing the clock speed did no do much.

I would probably second that the apps that get updated more often that are causing the slowdown.
    I'm on that build too and, although others may differ, I still use a good app to kill tasks and processes to get rid of the sluggishness especially after watching HD youtube clips/movies or playing graphic intensive games like Asphalt 8.

It does help.