Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    So, I'm trying to plug a Touchpad into my computer, so I can bypass the set-up. My problem is, that my laptop is registering the Touchpad as a Removable Disc. I've tried unplugging it a few times, and moving the port that it's plugged into. Can anyone help?
    Yes.. the TP needs to first be put into 'USB' mode for a PC (best to install the 'Novacom' Drivers too there), to recognise it as a 'TouchPad' rather than a Removable Disk.

You should see a 'USB' symbol in the notification area of the TP when it is connected to the PC. Tap that and then 'USB Drive'. It should then show up as 'TOUCHPAD' and you can access files etc.

When you have finished your session, right click on 'TOUCHPAD' on your PC and then click 'Eject'.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. the TP needs to first be put into 'USB' mode for a PC (best to install the 'Novacom' Drivers too there), to recognise it as a 'TouchPad' rather than a Removable Disk.

You should see a 'USB' symbol in the notification area of the TP when it is connected to the PC. Tap that and then 'USB Drive'. It should then show up as 'TOUCHPAD' and you can access files etc.

When you have finished your session, right click on 'TOUCHPAD' on your PC and then click 'Eject'.

My problem is, that I am stuck on the start screen, where one would normally start the touchpad up, then select a language, and connect to the servers. It seems that no matter what I do, I can't get it into USB mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by meep277 View Post
    My problem is, that I am stuck on the start screen, where one would normally start the touchpad up, then select a language, and connect to the servers. It seems that no matter what I do, I can't get it into USB mode.
    Oh right ~ so it is a new install of webOS - or an otherwise unused/unactivated machine?

If so, the HP Servers have actually been switched off for a few months now and you may need to check this and other similar threads out?:

Activation Bypass for TouchPad

Looks like you can grab a 'Version 2' of the required 'Device Tool' here too

http://cjqb.co.uk/downloads/tp_activate.zip

Hope this helps & good luck with it.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  5.    #6  
    Thank you so much guys, I'm going to keep working on bypassing the start up. I've gotten it into USB Mode, but my computer just isn't picking up on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meep277 View Post
    Thank you so much guys, I'm going to keep working on bypassing the start up. I've gotten it into USB Mode, but my computer just isn't picking up on it.
    No worries.

Make sure that you also have the 'Novacom' Drivers correctly installed on your PC.
    Installing WOSQI will present you with a prompt to automatically do this.. then reboot.

For the sake of clarity:
    USB mode is for transferring files to and from that part of the TP. Novacom drivers are not required for that as the machine simply presents itself as a USB drive and the standard USB drivers are sufficient.

The Novacom drivers are needed to communicate with the webOS system - actually installing apps and patches or issuing commands to the machine. This process does not require USB mode. It usually requires the webOS device to be in developer mode - accessed with a code. I'm concerned that you are trying to 'see' the TP as a USB drive on windows. This doesn't happen in dev mode, only in USB mode.

It's not clear to me that USB mode is even possible until the activation has been bypassed and you don't need it to bypass activation. The connection instructions in this thread are:
    1. Turn off your Touchpad.
    2. Hold the Vol+ and Power buttons at same time on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
    - The Vol+ button is on the left when you hold the Touchpad horizontally.
    3. Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
    4. Open up a command prompt (It's a black window)
    - On Windows 8 it's an App that says Command Prompt
    - Windows 7 How To Open Command Prompt in Windows 7 [Easy, 1 Min]
    or Open a Command Prompt window
    5. Next, you'll be typing a code to execute the devicetool file you downloaded & modified already.
    If you are unable to run the modified device tool (it fails to 'see' your device), the most obvious weak link to check is the USB cable itself. Check that it can transfer data as well as power or borrow/buy one that is known to be good. If your PC usually makes a sound when plugging in a USB device and you hear that with the TP, that's a good sign as it suggests some detection, but it might just be a charging connection. A data connection has to then be established for either Dev or USB mode.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/15/2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Mutoidi likes this.
  8.    #9  
    It's going into USB Mode, but there's no little "HP Touchpad" Icon that I can open in my documents. It works perfectly fine with my other touchpad though.
  9.    #10  
    Additionally, I'm trying to find the WebOS Doctor version for 3.02, but whenever I click on the wika page link, I get directed to a Palm Website, where not much happens. Does anyone have the file? I wanted to try and follow this tutorial.