Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Is anyone else having a problem with YouTube videos not playing in the browser?

This has only happened in the past day. Videos from YouTube.com are no longer working, it appears as though some thing has changed in YouTube as there is no way to expand videos to full screen and the player itself just shows the loading circle as if it is buffering.

I have attempted to change the user agent in the browser but the relevant preware ipkg's are not loading either (other sources for patches are down too).

Thanks
    Still working on my pre2

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
    Hi all,

Is anyone else having a problem with YouTube videos not playing in the browser?

This has only happened in the past day. Videos from YouTube.com are no longer working, it appears as though some thing has changed in YouTube as there is no way to expand videos to full screen and the player itself just shows the loading circle as if it is buffering.

I have attempted to change the user agent in the browser but the relevant preware ipkg's are not loading either (other sources for patches are down too).

Thanks
    You are using TheOneills patch?
    https://pivotce.com/2015/06/16/guide...for-webos-2-x/
    same issue as the thread starter here, on 3.0.5
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Hi, I am not no, thought this was just for 2.x. I should have noted that I am on the Touchpad and using 3.0.5.

Does this patch still work for later webOS versions too?
    I strongly suspect this is due to youtube defaulting to html5 player. The touchpad's version of webkit is too old to support that. The touchpad played youtube through flash player, and now that flash is on the way out, i suspect youtube is sending html5 and not flash anymore. I'm not sure how to try to force flash playback in youtube on the touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I strongly suspect this is due to youtube defaulting to html5 player. The touchpad's version of webkit is too old to support that.
    Actually, if I understand the API correctly, youtube should automatically choose a compatible playback method*; with HTML5 being preferred over flash (if both are available). WebOS actually supports html5 video (you can see this in the modernizr test site, and there have been other reports as well). This is, however, an old implementation, and does not necessarily support (more modern) features that Google uses/enforces.

As a result, I suspect they test for the compatibility with the <video> tag, notice it exists and don't (or can't!) test for full compatibility. They simply decide that webOS supports HTML5 video, and force that onto you. I haven't found a way to override that though.

EDIT:
    when you go to https://www.youtube.com/html5 you will see that indeed the HTML5 is used by default (and that html5 video is partially supported by the device).

* https://developers.google.com/youtub..._api_reference
    Deprecation Notice
    The deprecation of the YouTube ActionScript 3.0 Player API, also known as the YouTube Flash API (AS3), was announced on January 27, 2015. YouTube Flash <object> embeds have also been deprecated. See the deprecation policy for more information. Please migrate your applications to the IFrame API, which can intelligently use whichever embedded player – HTML (<video>) or Flash (<object>) – the client supports.
    Last edited by Misj'; 07/17/2015 at 03:18 AM.
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    I'll have to test youtube and see how bad it is.

So... I saw an old post of mine recently. When TheOneill brought out that last really good patch, I asked if it was API3. I got the feeling it wasn't. The deprecation message quoted above seems to suggest that if this is a problem for everyone, then an API3 patch might yet keep Youtube working for us.

While I applaud the drive toward greater security, all these changes are getting to be the death of a thousand cuts.
    Just reboot your device, youtube should work again. I just did the test on Pre 3/Touchpad and YT works !
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaud View Post
    Just reboot your device, youtube should work again. I just did the test on Pre 3/Touchpad and YT works !
    Did you do a full reset or a luna restart?

I've done two full resets during the course of the day (unrelated to this problem, I was testing something else) and a luna restart, but neither have had any effect on youtube. Did you do anything else (like clearing browser cookies or something)?
    Just a full restart, nothing else and YT works again here in Paris/France.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Is the patch available for Palm Pixi Plus?
    did a full restart, nothing here, too
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaud View Post
    Just a full restart, nothing else and YT works again here in Paris/France.
    Hmm...it doesn't work for me (in the Netherlands/Touchpad). I keep getting the infinite spinner. So yeah, I have no idea why it works for you and doesn't for me (apart from Google being all Google-like).

But everyone with this problem should definitely try a restart of the device.

EDIT:
    I'm testing the youtube site itself (multiple video's from different uploaders). I've also tried one embedded video, with the same result.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Did you do a full reset or a luna restart?

I've done two full resets during the course of the day (unrelated to this problem, I was testing something else) and a luna restart, but neither have had any effect on youtube. Did you do anything else (like clearing browser cookies or something)?

Yeah, clearing the cache, cookies, the reboot was my first steps that I tried. Still no joy.
    I can confirm that Youtube changed default player to HTML5 on the touchpad.. it wouldn't work at the beginning but after deleting cookies cache and history the player started working albeit I haven't it tested to see if it works on all videos, another side effect is there is no fullscreen with the HTML5 player..

*how to know if your Touchpad is loading the HTML5 player?
    you will not have the fullscreen button available, and on the gear icon you will have extra options like "speed" (which doesn't work on the touchpad anyway)

It seems that we are in serious need of a new browser, or a Youtube app, I haven't checked on my PC what happens if I change my user agent on a HTML5 capable browser to something older, maybe I can force Youtube to use the flash player, will post results later.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    This is totally a server side issue. I'm not able to play full screen vids on my pc either.

Browser: Iceweazel

I know this is not the place for debian, but after the google+ debacle with comments (I still have not created a + account) and now this, I feel like giving up on YT altogether.

The S*** is, YouTube and browsing tech sites (who many link to YT) is all I have been using the touchpad for in recent years.

I know this is not a productive post, but need to vent.
    found a possible solution - not a perfect one, but at least there might be one: change the url
    Instead of watching
    (delete "watch?" and replace "=" with "/")
    Works on my TouchPad in germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
    This is totally a server side issue. I'm not able to play full screen vids on my pc either.

Browser: Iceweazel

I know this is not the place for debian, but after the google+ debacle with comments (I still have not created a + account) and now this, I feel like giving up on YT altogether.

The S*** is, YouTube and browsing tech sites (who many link to YT) is all I have been using the touchpad for in recent years.

I know this is not a productive post, but need to vent.
    Yes I can confirm that also on the PC side, some older or not commonplace browsers are also using this kind of "basic" HTML5 player without full screen now.. most probably Google wants to kill Flash.. still works with flash on IE8, so the flash player is still an option, but don't know for how long, they also booted a lot of third party apps for Youtube recently.. apparently they want you to use their apps exclusively.. and yes I agree Youtube is a mess.. the only reason to come back to Youtube is it's large userbase but the platform is awful in every sense.
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    can confirm Nafetz solution works both in a browser and on the touchpad.. but I've found a problem.. VEVO videos are forbidden from working that way
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast