Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    found a possible solution - not a perfect one, but at least there might be one: change the url
    I had been playing with the URL, but this was a variation I hadn't tried simply because...why would you? - However, I can confirm that it works for me.
    Nafetz, is there a way to force that change with a patch?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    found a possible solution - not a perfect one, but at least there might be one: change the url
    Instead of watching
    (delete "watch?" and replace "=" with "/")
    Works on my TouchPad in germany
    Can confirm, this works too.

Thanks for the work around
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Nafetz, is there a way to force that change with a patch?
    I don't know yet. I'd really like to have a better solution because some videos won't play with this workaround.
    I spent some time finding out what the problem really is.
    eg. http://www.youtube.com/html5 or http://www.youtube.com/testtube
    But I couldn't see the problem on the TouchPad. Is it trying to load html5-videos? Or is the flashplayer too old? It would be much better patching the real problem (if it's possible).
    Does anybody know, where to search for the problem?
    mmmm

IE9 still defaults to use Flash... what if we fake being that old version of IE ?
    nafetz: Apparently youtube released some kind of new "stripped down" version of the HTML5 player.. and as you may have seen www.youtube.com/html5 now says that your device indeed can play HTML5 videos, the problem is this stripped down version for some reason doesn't admit full screen.. I guess there is something in the implementation of HTML5 that is missing on the touchpad... also running an old version of Chrome led me to that HTML5 simplified player without full screen

Bottom line: Youtube is now forcing the HTML5 video player instead of the flash one but it is a simple version that lacks full screen (and also appears to not work on some devices.. in mine I was having the same problem but deleted everything cache, cookies, and even disabled all the browser options and enabled them again and I was able to make it work.. still with that dreaded simple HTML5 player)

as for a patch I actually think if we are going as far as patching the device to play videos I would prefer for it to catch the video url (mp4) and play it in the video app .. that is universal (at least until now) and works in every device.. actually if faking the user agent wasn't that much of a hassle and we didn't have to restart the whole thing to get it to work, we could just mask the browser as a very simple mobile one (nokia s60 or something) and I'm pretty sure clicking on the video would cause the mp4 player to open.
    I think we may just have to patch the cookie, actually.

When I tried with IE9, www.youtube.com/html5 wrote : using native (flash) and gave an option to switch to the "stripped down".

Any such switch is surely stored in the cookie, so...
    How can I force YouTube to not use HTML5 player because it is not working on the latest version of Firefox and now I can't see any video? - Super User

an identical problem, and some solutions. That ff extension, maybe we can steal it ?
    Or we can look if those switches mentioned in ff config sort of exist also in our browser ?

Edit
    http://www.skipser.com/p/2/p/default...in-chrome.html

references to another workaround, and a setting in the cookie
    I'm not sure if this is of any help here, but a couple of years ago I needed to manually alter the Vimeo cookie to allow access to the non-mobile site and got help from folks here to make it work by direct putty/ssh access to the command line. I documented the process in a forum post for future reference:[Solved] Vimeo.com on webOS phones - Cookie injection?
    Last edited by bbito; 07/19/2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo fix
    in firefox there is a hidden switch which disables ALL html 5 video, I'm pretty sure that extension does that, in webkit browsers I think html5 is more tightly integrated.. So no switch
    I still don't know what is the beat way to make youtube run again. The decision what player is used may be founded on the user agent string. Several useragent strings tested on Firefox led to different decisions.

So I modified my file /etc/palm/browser-app.conf and inserted UserAgentOverride=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1) at the end of the General-section. After a reboot of the TouchPad Youtube was running again :-)
    But I don't know the disadvantages of this change on other pages...

So if there is a cookie solution for the youtube-site, it would be much better. But I need some time to read and understand what this is about. I already tried to understand what is happening with the firefox extension. Though there aren't much line of code, I didn't understand what it is really doing...
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    I still don't know what is the beat way to make youtube run again. The decision what player is used may be founded on the user agent string. Several useragent strings tested on Firefox led to different decisions.

So I modified my file /etc/palm/browser-app.conf and inserted UserAgentOverride=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1) at the end of the General-section. After a reboot of the TouchPad Youtube was running again :-)
    But I don't know the disadvantages of this change on other pages...

So if there is a cookie solution for the youtube-site, it would be much better. But I need some time to read and understand what this is about. I already tried to understand what is happening with the firefox extension. Though there aren't much line of code, I didn't understand what it is really doing...
    Nafetz: if that worked then it is user agent driven, do you know how to pack the change as an .ipk or .patch? I know it needs a restart and it might cause trouble with how some pages render but it's good enough for now.. I can revert uninstalling the patch like the other user agent hacks.. As for Firefox it works by disabling a bit in about:config i've done it in all my firefox installations because I percieve the HTML5 player to be slower, but it is an option already integrated into the rendering engine that disables the HTML5 media capabilities
    anyway I know it is not the place to ask this.. But where should I start so I can get a basic idea on how to code/make patches etc for the touchpad? I wanted to change the user agent myself even before you posted it but looking at the existing ipks and the .patch contained inside I can't get what is happening so yeah.. I need to read further to get an idea of the whole thing
    To build a patch you need to know where the file you want to alter is stored. Copy this file to a desktop computer and make a duplicate of it. Then edit the duplicate file. To create the patch you can use Jason Robitaille's UnifiedDiffCreator.

So here is a patch if you want to change your HP TouchPad's UserAgent into Internet Explorer 9. Device reboot is necessary to take effect (luna restart is not enough)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga2k View Post
    Nafetz: if that worked then it is user agent driven, do you know how to pack the change as an .ipk or .patch? I know it needs a restart and it might cause trouble with how some pages render but it's good enough for now.. I can revert uninstalling the patch like the other user agent hacks.. As for Firefox it works by disabling a bit in about:config i've done it in all my firefox installations because I percieve the HTML5 player to be slower, but it is an option already integrated into the rendering engine that disables the HTML5 media capabilities
    yes and no

it's the useragent, as in the agent/browser triggers the html5 test and results are slightly different depending on the kind.

it's not the useragent, as if the check returns html5 compliant, it checks the cookie for a specific value to see if opted in or not to use html5 as player.

Bottom line, a cookie patch, or a config variable in the browser.conf file similar to the firefox workaround, would be cleaner solutions.
    Maybe(surely) there are more variables that can be set in the browser config files, and maybe one disables the html5 playback
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    I really like the topic with cookie-injection - seems to be very interesting.
    So I did some tests with Firefox, DefaultUserAgent and Cookie Manager and looked at the cookies generated with different user agents. But I couldn't find anything suspicious. The only cookie with different values was the PREF-cookie of youtube.com. But there was no effect when I changed the values. It seemed to me that the user agent is much more involved in the decision which player is used.
    Maybe there is someone who knows better how to deal with the cookies - but I'm at the point to give up. At least there are two possible workarounds...
    I just was sad to find this issue today too. I always watch YouTube videos in full screen on my Touchpad and now suddenly can't.

I'm glad for the workaround of getting rid of watch= and just replacing it with /v/videocode as described earlier in the thread. But as someone said it doesn't work for some videos like Vevo. It's also a pain since you can't then scroll down to read comments or even go directly back to a new search since the search bar isn't on that screen.

So I'm just chiming in to say I really do hope someone can figure out a patch or something to fix this. I wish I could be of help in that but I have no skills in this area. Just letting you know there are others of us who would really appreciate a fix.

I suppose it would be naive to think we could simply get in touch with Google and explain that when they interpret the user string from the Touchpad, they are now sending it to HTML5 even though the Touchpad really isn't equipped for it. Maybe we could have them simply set the Touchpad's user string to go back to using Flash. After all, in a way it's simply that they miscategorized the Touchpad as a device that can adequately use HTML5 and they're just wrong. Even though they correctly show that it partially uses it, it leaves out too many important features and all of us users would prefer going back to Flash. So if they knew that maybe they could just fix it. But from my experience, trying to get in touch with someone at Google about something like this is pretty difficult.

Anyways, I'll be watching this thread really hoping for some fix of some kind. Thanks guys.
    @touchpadtim

you missed that a fix exists in the form of an useragent patch , is at post 34

YouTube no longer working?

as discussed, is probably not the most clean solution, but is a solution
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    @touchpadtim

you missed that a fix exists in the form of an useragent patch , is at post 34

YouTube no longer working?

as discussed, is probably not the most clean solution, but is a solution
    Ooh thanks mazzinia. I did miss that. I'll try that out later. Hopefully it will work, at the very least in the meantime until a more fundamental fix might come along. Also hopefully it won't lead to any other problems on other websites in the course of fixing YouTube.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchpadTim View Post
    Also hopefully it won't lead to any other problems on other websites in the course of fixing YouTube.
    that's the unknown... too many websites, too many standards, too many ways to do things (well or badly), so it's hard to predict ...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast