Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew Hunt
  • 2 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    I was trying to set a password on my touchpad and when I went to do that, it had a message saying I needed to confirm a password that I have never set. The same thing happens on my Pre 2. Any ideas? I am able to use my devices, but a password would be nice.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    So in the 'Screen & Lock' app, you have the PIN or password elector set to off.

When you change it to password, what happens? Is that when you get the input screen?

What happens if you just tap 'Done' without entering anything?

What happens if you try the PIN option instead? Does it still ask for a password?

Could it be that you set a password and forgot?
    You don't have a password enabled. Neither do I.

So, when I go to "screen and Lock" app, tap secure unlock, choose password, I see a text field to first ENTER, then a second text field to CONFIRM password.
    First put in your new PW, then tap the second text field (where it says confirm password) and re-enter to confirm that.

if you already had a PW set, under secure unlock you would see the choice to CHANGE PASSWORD. WHICH YOU DON'T.

Phone and TP is the same GUI. It's a little confusing because the second box does not appear until you fill the first field then tap the words "confirm password". just type it in once, tap below it and type it in again. It will work.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/09/2015 at 12:34 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So in the 'Screen & Lock' app, you have the PIN or password elector set to off.

When you change it to password, what happens? Is that when you get the input screen?

What happens if you just tap 'Done' without entering anything?

What happens if you try the PIN option instead? Does it still ask for a password?

Could it be that you set a password and forgot?
    When I change it to password, it comes up with an immediate "Confirm Password" screen. PIN lock doesn't do this.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    Are you sure it's not just what TJ is saying: It's just asking you to enter a password?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    You don't have a password enabled. Neither do I.

So, when I go to "screen and Lock" app, tap secure unlock, choose password, I see a text field to first ENTER, then a second text field to CONFIRM password.
    First put in your new PW, then tap the second text field (where it says confirm password) and re-enter to confirm that.

if you already had a PW set, under secure unlock you would see the choice to CHANGE PASSWORD. WHICH YOU DON'T.

Phone and TP is the same GUI. It's a little confusing because the second box does not appear until you fill the first field then tap the words "confirm password". just type it in once, tap below it and type it in again. It will work.
    You're right. It looked a little confusing to me at first. Thanks for explaining it!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    It's one of the few times that the webOS GUI isn't completely obvious. All they had to do was illustrate both text fields as white boxes from the start, rather than having the second box appear only after you tap "blindly" in its location.

It's crap like this that makes me hate android so much. Too many things that are right under your nose but unless you are already aware or are coached, you may miss them. End user QA is supposed to catch these things IMHO.

Glad I could help with this one.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Preemptive and Andrew Hunt like this.