Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes
    This sucks! Thankfully it is still working for me most of the time, but it is frustrating.
    I gave up trying.

Was actually in Best Buy today, looking at the LG G4.

It's just so dang big. Sooo unhappy.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I'm going to take some guesses:
    1. Some new security configuration at Google.
    2. Configuration error.
    3. Some kind of network error.

Maybe you can all summarise your symptoms here, like locations, working and not working connections, cell & wifi providers etc. Maybe a commonality can be found.

The most important thing though is that it doesn't seem to be a problem directly with webOS. Posting here may have some use in discovery and identification, but is unlikely to provide a solution.

For that, you need to talk to Google and it seems the originally posted thread is still active. I recommend everyone posting detailed accounts of your issues to help the engineers trace the problem. They might thank you for detecting a fault that affects more than webOS.
    https://productforums.google.com/for...pp/V27Gk_5vXSw

I see there is talk about supported systems, but email is one of the oldest systems out there and I would assume that making requests of IMAP is a standard and should be OS agnostic(but what do I know?). If not an error, I can only imagine that the issue would lie in secure transport protocols, encryption or certification, but the fact that things seem to be working intermittently suggests an error more than an incompatibility. Maybe Google will find and fix an error. Maybe they will notify ISPs of errors in their networks.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/15/2015 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I gave up trying.

Was actually in Best Buy today, looking at the LG G4.

It's just so dang big. Sooo unhappy.
    Just today I was reading an article about the G4 maybe the best phablet ever. I'm sure you will find something you can work with. We all will have to give up eventually
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'm going to take some guesses:
    Maybe you can all summarise your symptoms here, like locations, working and not working connections, cell & wifi providers etc. Maybe a commonality can be found.
    symptoms:
    device: Touchpad 32g
    connection: WiFi
    provider: Ziggo (UPC)
    protocol: imap.gmail.com / pop.gmail.com
    port: 993 / 995
    simplified error: Requested encryption not supported by server.
    error details: Error code 9820: Non-specific SSL protocol error -- src/network/SocketConnection.cpp:184
    last received email: 15/07/2015 - 00:59 (Amsterdam-timezone)
    note: smtp protocol is working correctly.

simplified error is the description I get when clicking the yellow triangle.
    error details are the error details you get when you go to Preferences & Accounts in your email app, go to change the log-in settings for you gmail accout, Manual Set-up, and try to Sign in. In the popup (if connection failed) you can click Error Details for more information.

For that, you need to talk to Google and it seems the originally posted thread is still active. I recommend everyone posting detailed accounts of your issues to help the engineers trace the problem. They might thank you for detecting a fault that affects more than webOS.
    https://productforums.google.com/for...pp/V27Gk_5vXSw
    The old thread is specifically about error code 3000. And since it mentions Mozilla Firefox (rather than webOS) in the title, and has yet to be responded to by anyone from Google (so any official support), I do not expect this to go anywhere in the Google Gmail team. I think we might have to add another (or multiple) threads (referencing the old one/eachother of course) to get their attention...and possibly/hopefully a solution.

ps. just curious: awriter, why did you call it Gmail app rather than (standard) email app/client? - I feel that confused the sweeper because he thinks there is a specific gmail client that they stopped supporting rather than a server-side problem.

edit: I added a paragraph explaining the difference between 'simplified error' and 'error details' in my symptoms list.
    Last edited by Misj'; 07/16/2015 at 03:20 AM.
    i have not read this whole thread!

But
    There was some holes in open openssl found and i think were patched. Could it be that the version of ssl in webos is not being accepted any more

John
    yes and no. I mean, if it would be that, it would not work anymore at all, period
    Tried 3 webOS devices with 2 diff google accounts. Same error. Lame.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Same for me and my Mothers TP.
    Her Pre 3 works fine Gmail. Strange!
    Looking at all messages here, I would say that since we see this both with IMAP and the gmail accounts, I would think it to be a level below that.

Since people see it sometimes with certain connections, but not with others, this might be a combination of things.

Depending on how you connect, your traffic might be routed differently.

You might connect to a different server at gmail, who says all their servers are exactly the same?

But this is difficult to troubleshoot for a noob like me

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Depending on how you connect, your traffic might be routed differently. You might connect to a different server at gmail, who says all their servers are exactly the same?
    They're clearly not the same. My Touchpad has worked (three days ago), not worked (since then) and worked again this morning. Probably won't work tonight. Until Google gets this message and adjusts the codes on all their servers - this is now Touchpad WebOS life. Sigh.
    Affects phones too.
    Haaaaaaaay guess what? It's working! Yaaay!

Birthday present from Google? Wow! (Hopefully it won't shrink quickly)

I followed the instructions here, just tried again creating an account on the phone, tying into a gmail as email, imap in lower case, user name had a dot in it was OK, SSL on numbers 993 and 465 auto populated.

It said it was creating for 5 minutes, before I closed the card.

But I opened the email app and the address was there. It had mail. Sent multiple tests on and out OK.

Thanks everyone! Anyone!
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Haaaaaaaay guess what? It's working! Yaaay!
    TJ - I'm really happy for you! Mine is still working, too. Don't know if it helped or not, but on Monday I wrote a final note in the thread on Gmail help and said we'd figured out (here) that it was a Google server code problem, and asked any reader who could, to bring this to Google's attention. Maybe someone did, or maybe they just fixed it on their own. Or maybe (though hopefully not) -- we've just reached working servers for now. We should know for sure next week.

All digits crossed and toenails painted blue.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I suspect that nobody at google fixed anything.
    There's clearly some difference btw the premade google (and yahoo, if you check the other thread) account, and the manual settings.
    In theory they should be identical, with the premade being just a way to spare the user from knowing any technicality, but all points to some small difference that now causes some issue with Google servers
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    There's clearly some difference btw the premade google (and yahoo, if you check the other thread) account, and the manual settings.
    Afraid not. I have two TP's -- one with 'pre-made' Google settings and one with manual. Both behaved identically throughout all this.

It was the servers, and it appears Google has fixed it.
    mmm ok, so a coincidence...

( but still

Problems with Yahoo Mail

this is so similar as issue, and unrelated to google )
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    mmm ok, so a coincidence...
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. We'll probably never know. The Yahoo thread appears to be identical to this, and with the same likely cause.
    1. This has been an intermittent issue. I've lost/regained/lost/regained service, while connected through the same config.

2. None of my changes on my side had any affect when service was down.

**Based on these two things, the issue is either: still intermittent, or addressed and resolved on their end.

Now, since they didn't acknowledge, and instead suggest we are an unsupported OS, I suspect they did NOTHING, and we will experience an outage again. Time will tell.

So what could cause intermittent failure?
    1. server maintenance - our ability to connect was temporarily interrupted for any number of reasons
    2. Server upgrade - new security measures of protocols that will shut out our old technology

Software is not intermittent, it is distributed across the board when implemented. But hardware is installed in phases, and hardware is accessed randomly because of its redundancy and multiplicity. So we could be hitting new hardware at times that doesn't want to let us in anymore. Eventually as this version spreads, it would pick us out more frequently until permanently.

My fear is that Google sees our access as a security weakness, and wants to close the hole. Here's why I think this:

Yesterday, after successfully reconnecting on my Pre2, I logged into same account on my tablet and on my computer. The computer will let you access the security screen of your Google account, and you can review your UNRECOGNIZED DEVICE login history.

My history showed my computer's login, because my browser clears its cache every time. It also showed the first time I accessed from my phone THROUGH THE WEB BROWSER, and listed it as a LINUX device.

BUT IT DIDN'T LIST MY ACCESS FROM THE PHONES MAIL APP I JUST CONNECTED WITH.

so my phone's mail app made an undetected access to my account? It doesn't recognize it's accessing the IMAP? That's got to be perceived as a security weakness by Google. I would not be surprised they are trying to shut us out IF this is the case.

Big IF of course. Opinions on this theory are welcome!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/22/2015 at 12:47 PM.
    The only other conflict I can think which I have not tried, is multiple gmail accounts on same device.

We should all be familiar with gmail splash screen, is not favorable to switching from one gmail to another. Our phone may be having trouble navigating that through the mail app. With the browser, we can manually choose to switch to the other address. Maybe the mail app is getting stuck here... It shouldn't it is accessing the IMAP but idk how Google does it.

I could test this by adding my other gmail to the mail app. I'm afraid to mess with what works now.

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY YET?
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast